Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Escitalopram and Lorazepam

[Bh...]

HI, I have started tapering my Escitalopram 10mg in morning first. I also take Lorazepam 0.5mg at 9am and 9pm. I was fine when cut to 7.5mg from 10mg. but got withdrawal after being on 7.5mg for 6 month nd cut to 5 mg. now, I know that 5mg cut do not support 10% reduction. This is to do with my MD. I realized that and started 7.5mg back again to be stabilize at dose I was comfortable.

is this a good move?.

I am also on Escitalopram but unlike you, I am staying on the SSRI and tapering the benzo (the hardest one) 1st. The SSRI is helping me IMO to slowly detox the valium. After I am off the Valium, I will continue the Lexapro for 6-12 months. Then, I will slowly start the SSRI detox.

i think its really up to you 

Because my benzo taper was taking soooo long and i was having side effects on SNRI we chose to taper off my SNRI which was difficult and long since it cant be cut due to being extended release but i feel better off it, now im back to trying to taper the benzos 

But do you guys do that under medical supervision or are you self-medicating?

Let me quote from the Ashton Manual:

Schedule 13. Antidepressant Withdrawal Table

1. Complete the benzodiazepine withdrawal before starting to taper the antidepressant.

22 hours ago, [[p...] said:

Schedule 13. Antidepressant Withdrawal Table

1. Complete the benzodiazepine withdrawal before starting to taper the antidepressant.

She might have been a bit wrong about that one. It may work with some sedating antidepressants but most of the newer ones can be rather activating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [[o...] said:

She might have been a bit wrong about that one. It may work with some sedating antidepressants but most of the newer ones can be rather activating.

Well, I don't know if she was wrong about that or not but what I do know is that my is that my psychiatrist prescribed exactly that, first lowering the lorazepam, and it works for me. I remember he told me that escitalopram was activating, but I don't notice anything in that sense, if anything my sleep lasts longer.

5 hours ago, [[p...] said:

Well, I don't know if she was wrong about that or not but what I do know is that my is that my psychiatrist prescribed exactly that, first lowering the lorazepam, and it works for me. I remember he told me that escitalopram was activating, but I don't notice anything in that sense, if anything my sleep lasts longer.

And you don't think that doubling your original lorazepam dose had anything to do with it? Also Ashton was talking about people already taking an antidepressant in that quote which you weren't. Anyway, good luck with the rest of your journey.

Edited by [ou...]

I beg to differ. I say get off the benzo 1st. This is just my personal opinion tho.

Ashton said>>>

Antidepressants. Antidepressants are the most important adjuvant drugs to consider in withdrawal. 

There is a school of thought, mainly amongst ex-tranquilliser users, that is opposed to the taking of any other drugs during withdrawal. But suicides have occurred in several reported clinical trials of benzodiazepine withdrawal. If depression is severe during benzodiazepine withdrawal as in any other situation, it seems foolhardy to leave it untreated.

Antidepressants not only alleviate depression but also, after 2-3 weeks, have anti-anxiety effects. They are in fact a better long-term treatment than benzodiazepines for anxiety, panic and phobic disorders, and may in some cases actively help the benzodiazepine withdrawal process.

I am finding this to be true. 👆

• Like 1

I am very new here but agree with last comment as well, I’m trying to work my Benzo down first and then worry about my lexapro later. I can’t truly say what my antidepressant has done for me but I can imagine I might feel slightly worse off if I wasn’t taking it. Just my unscientific opinion. 😊

5 hours ago, [[B...] said:

So Is it safe to say that for most activating antidepressant, lowering Escitalopram before lorazepam is a better option?.

Not always but this would be my general advice. You can always reevaluate later. If things don't go according to plan you could stop reducing the antidepressant and start reducing the benzo.