Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Generic brand switch feels like large cut

[Ze...]

I recently had to switch pharmacies due to Walgreen’s being indefinitely back ordered on the Clonazepam ODT I am using to taper. The new pharmacy I am using doesn’t carry the generic brands I was receiving from Walgreen’s, and since switching brands I feel like I am having very strong withdrawal symptoms again. 

I have 10 pills of the old brand Diazepam left, and then I’ll have to switch over completely to the new brand of Diazepam. It’s looking like I don’t have any options, although my prescriber has said if I find a new pharmacy next month that has my old brand of diazepam she can switch the prescription to that pharmacy. 

So I’m looking at being stuck with this new brand of Clonazepam ODT and at least 22 more days of being on the different brand of Valium, with a further reduction happening once I have to fully switch over to the new brand in 10 days. 

Does switching pharmacies multiple times in the US raise any red flags that could possibly prevent me from accessing my medications?

Is it legal to have one benzo filled at one pharmacy and another one filled at a different pharmacy?

My prescriber seems supportive but says until next month there is nothing she can do.

I believe this will be in my bio, but for reference I have been holding on 12mg a day of Valium for the past couple years and tapering Klonopin first. Don’t ask how I ended up on two benzos, it’s a long story!

If anyone has any personal perspective on this situation or ideas to prevent further escalation in my WD symptoms please let me know. Thank you.

-Z

I had a horrific time switching generics of Clonazepam. I was on Accord and got switched to Teva and it was extremely destabilizing to my CNS. I couldn't stabilize or adjust and I got worse and worse. Then I changed to liquid of an even different brand (compounded) and got far worse, still reeling from that. It's been 5 months now, for the past 3.5 months I have been back on my original brand again as I was able to locate a supply and I am still not well at all. So brand changes are a real thing and the brain simply does not handle the drug the same way in certain sensitive individuals. For some it's a minor irritation and they adjust, others no issues at all, and then there are those who it feels like a CT with all out every WD symptom in the book. Definitely try to keep variables as consistent as possible during this process, especially when you are sensitized during a taper.

IDK but if forced to switch like this, could you possibly take a little more to counteract and then taper from that after adjusting in individuals who are super sensitive?  Just thinking out loud......I have never really had a problem like this.

Edited by [An...]
addition

5 hours ago, [[Z...] said:

Does switching pharmacies multiple times in the US raise any red flags that could possibly prevent me from accessing my medications?

Is it legal to have one benzo filled at one pharmacy and another one filled at a different pharmacy?

Great questions, @[Ze...]!  My sense (which may or may not be correct) is that different states may have different rules and regs regarding what is/isn’t flagged in the state Prescription Monitoring (PMP) or PDMP (Prescription Drug Monitoring Program). In your shoes, I’d contact the state program directly to get current and correct information. The Wikipedia page linked below includes a list of PMPs/PDMPs by state (I do not know if it is accurate but it’s a place to start.)

Prescription monitoring program - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescription_monitoring_program

13 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

IDK but if forced to switch like this, could you possibly take a little more to counteract and then taper from that after adjusting in individuals who are super sensitive?  Just thinking out loud......I have never really had a problem like this.

I’ve considered updosing the Clonazepam as it’s the only medication I have enough of to increase the dose, however I have worked so hard to get where I am with it that I would hate to updose. I also have lavender oil pills that my doctor prescribed me which she says can mitigate withdrawal systems- they operate on the gaba system but indirectly. So I’m hesitant to try those as well, but will definitely reach for those before updosing a benzo. 

One other thought I had is that I could split the remaining 10 5mg Mylan diazepams I have in quarters, giving me 20 days of being able to updose 10 percent on my Valium. This would be with taking the 6mg twice a day of the new brand and adding 1.25mg of the Mylan brand. Maybe this will land me somewhere to where I was at originally dose wise and get me through until next month when hopefully my doc can send my prescription to a new pharmacy that will fill Mylan. 

• 3 months later...
On 17/11/2023 at 09:51, [[m...] said:

I had a horrific time switching generics of Clonazepam. I was on Accord and got switched to Teva and it was extremely destabilizing to my CNS. I couldn't stabilize or adjust and I got worse and worse. Then I changed to liquid of an even different brand (compounded) and got far worse, still reeling from that. It's been 5 months now, for the past 3.5 months I have been back on my original brand again as I was able to locate a supply and I am still not well at all. So brand changes are a real thing and the brain simply does not handle the drug the same way in certain sensitive individuals. For some it's a minor irritation and they adjust, others no issues at all, and then there are those who it feels like a CT with all out every WD symptom in the book. Definitely try to keep variables as consistent as possible during this process, especially when you are sensitized during a taper.

Mikeyjoed,

just wondering if you stabilized after going back to your original brand? I’m having similar issues with lyrica (currently tapering k) and it’s sent me into acute wd - even though I’m not tapering L yet. It’s worse than my k taper. 

Due to generic instability in availability, I  switched several years ago to brand name K. I just can’t tolerate repeated changes.