Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Chest pain during sleep

[bl...]

I had a couple of chest pains during sleep and I am terrified, I am 5 months out, I went to Cardiologist during acute WD and all was OK.
I am terrified of this symptom and why it's back? is it a setback? cause of antibiotics? stress?
please tell me your opinion 

Hello @[bl...],

You are still very early off benzos and if your cardiologist didn’t find anything concerning I would try to not stress about this. Symptoms can wax and wane. In fact, I actually had new symptoms show up at about 4 months off. That was not a nice surprise. 

While I was functioning better at 5 months, I was still very symptomatic. Unfortunately, it can take a while for the cns to reset and find balance again. 

Have you tried to distract from this symptom by doing some deep breathing exercises? This helped me. I also used white noise at night early on. 

Withdrawal symptoms can be perplexing and inexplicable. The best thing I did was Tom try to distract from them.

pianogirl

I have had a myriad of bizarre chest SXs over many years....decades actually.

The chest SXs are really worrisome. The heart is vital to life. When it stops beating, you die. Therefore, any perceived disruption in its normal rhythm (palps for example) or any pain or discomfort in this body region evokes great anxiety, stress, and concern.

The biggest killer of Americans (both male and female) is CAD or coronary heart disease. This disease is mostly caused by a bad diet. Ironically, most American cardiologists die of this same disease. This disease can be mostly prevented as Dr. Caldwell Esselstyln and Dean Ornish have clearly demonstrated, but most ppl are unwilling to change how they eat.

If your doctor has given you medical clearance and you are under the age of 50, it is most likely from benzo w/d and it should get better with more time off the the drug. This is what I am hoping for in my case. I suffer from mostly chest pressure. I have also been diagnosed with cardiophobia.

@[bl...]

I have had the chest pains that have awakened me from sleep. It feels just like my heart is causing this so I know exactly what you are feeling friend. It scares the hell out of you every time it happens. This is what actually prompted me to change my diet back in 2013. I was unsure...is this really benzo w/d or is my heart actually causing some of this from the stress of benzo w/d along with my underlying anxiety disorder? I was also eating a lot of both fat and sugar so I thought just to be on the safe side, I need to switch my diet after listening to Dr. Caldwell Esselstyln. I can not eat how Esselstyln recommends, however. It is a very strict whole-food, plant-based diet....no meat, oil, or sugar. I do eat meat but not a lot and I try to restrict oil and sugar as much as I can. When you restrict too much, most ppl will fail IMO. So, I simply decided to cut way down on all the unhealthy things (while having a little bit of them) and I hope that will be good enough.

Virtually every American who eats SAD (standard American diet) probably has some degree of coronary artery disease. You can even see the beginning stages of this disease in young adults (18 year olds).  The trick is to stop the disease from progressing and causing you any problems later in life. Esselstyln and Ornish have even showed reversal in ppl with severe heart disease but you have to be very strict with no deviations. This is the video that inspired me to change my diet back in 2013. It is very inspiring. I have also read several books by both Esselstyln and Ornish.  Former POTUS Bill Clinton adopted this same diet after he had open heart surgery. He did not change his diet and his bypass graphs started closing up again and he started experiencing chest pains and pressure again after his bypass surgery. After following Esselstyln's diet advice, he is doing well, completely asymptomatic,  with no further medical interventions. Here is the video that inspired me to change how I was eating back in 2013. I do admit this way of eating is very hard to adhere to and I eat things all the time that I know are bad for me and not heart healthy but I am doing the best I can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[b...] said:

@[An...] I am not able to afford the book (Yes I am broke) let alone to go to a clinic. what do Caldwell Esselstyln and Dean Ornish suggest to diet and life style?

You don't have to buy anything. The diet is very simple actually and everything is available for free on the internet. I simply bought the books to kinda show my support I guess and reading distracts my mind from the anxiety.

• Like 1

@[An...] Hello, I started the diet today, it's super easy and I feel full on it.
I was on reddit forums and some people say Esselstyln's diet is not that effective. some say it is...not sure who I believe!

I mean is there some experienced patients who saw results beside studies? if Yes how should I know?

Edited by [bl...]