Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Headache Gone Craaazy

[Mi...]

Hey buddies,

Rough night tonight. There is so much pressure in my head, it feels like it’s going to explode. I believe I’m currently experiencing very bad interdose withdrawals. My panic has actually regressed these past few weeks I believe, but the head pressure is out of this world. I’m currently in the process of switching to a compounded liquid Xanax. This will address interdose withdrawals (as I will be able to start dosing the medication accurately three times a day). It will also help me taper easier. In the meantime I’m dealing with this bad period. Any advice would be nice fam. Tyty

• Like 1

Hello @[Mi...] - I had head pressure too - it's a wretched symptom.  My health care providers looked at me like I was a Martian when I described the symptom.  But that was before I found BenzoBuddies and learned how common it is.  One thing that gave me some relief was taking a very warm bath with Epsom salts and lavender essential oil every night before I went to bed.  That and distraction - anything that helped get my mind off my symptoms.  Eventually the head pressure disappeared.  Yours will too.  It takes time, but it will fade away.

I'm glad you're able to switch to compounded liquid Xanax.  It will be good to be able to dose accurately. The accuracy and consistent dosing should help you stabilize.   I hope you'll take it slow.  

I made sure the bathwater was deep so the base of my skull was submerged.  I think a lot of my headaches were caused by muscle tension.  The baths were so soothing the head pressure seemed less intense.  (I also lit a candle and turned off the bathroom light and played soothing music on my phone!)

One more thing, staying well hydrated is important too.

@[Br...] Yes, my headaches are without a doubt caused by tension. Also, good to note, I try to drink as much water as possible, but thanks for reminding me 🙏

Edited by [Mi...]

1 hour ago, [[M...] said:

Hey buddies,

Rough night tonight. There is so much pressure in my head, it feels like it’s going to explode. I believe I’m currently experiencing very bad interdose withdrawals. My panic has actually regressed these past few weeks I believe, but the head pressure is out of this world. I’m currently in the process of switching to a compounded liquid Xanax. This will address interdose withdrawals (as I will be able to start dosing the medication accurately three times a day). It will also help me taper easier. In the meantime I’m dealing with this bad period. Any advice would be nice fam. Tyty

Hi @[Mi...] I have been where you have. I want to help you. Stick with me - this is going to take a moment, but I promise to give you something good and tangible.

Some of us... experience head pressure symptoms more than others. Little context - before I share solutions. I've been through significant Benzo WD two times in my life - one in my 20's - and recently, a year-long taper off two benzos in my late thirties. I just jumped off two benzos after a year-long taper. I've been off for three months. One of THE MOST challenging WD symptoms I had both times  - was migraines/pressure. The pressure really turned INTO migraines, but let me tell you - the pain... (as I'm sure you know) the pain at times was... unbearable. 

After going through the head pressure so many times - then taking my dose, getting relief.... and through trial and error in eating various foods, here is my 'bible' of benzo head pressure:

• Benzos... are vassodialators. They RELAX the blood vessels and RELAX everything in the body. The blood vessels open when relaxed. 
  • In the ABSENCE of the benzos - what happens? Everything in the body - constricts and tightens, including the blood vessels. 
  • I learned, that I needed a way to RELAX the blood vessels in the ABSENCE of benzos. Through lots of research, I found NIACIN is a vasso dilator and will OPEN the blood vessels. I tried it... it WORKED.
  • I take niacin daily. 50-100 mg. (PLEASE read up before taking. Please eat a full meal before taking. If you've never taken it - you can get the niacin flush. Not dangerous but can be uncomfortable if you haven't eaten.)

Next... When we are going through WD... Many of us develop food sensitivities and histamine issues. I found that I was getting this head pressure when eating gluten, sugar... processed foods. So I started to eat a plant based diet mostly with some fish. Head pressure began to reduce EVEN when I was in the last days of my taper and when jumping. 

Between the really strict diet - and the niacin... I do NOT get head pressure any more. OR - If I eat something sugary and the head pressure comes on - I take niacin and CHUCK water- and that works. I hope this helps!

@[ia...] TY, I’m definitely definitely going to look into niacin. Also, I’ve kept diet in mind, but it’s hard to stick to! Ugh. I’ll definitely also take your recommendations here into account with food! I just normally avoid sugar at all costs.

Best,

Edited by [Mi...]
  • Like 1

@[Mi...] I had terrible headaches and head pressure on my taper. I found a PT who specialized in sacral-cranial massage. Wow. What a difference. I came out of half an hour with her feeling terrific. I went once a week during my taper when things were really bad. She also recommended a device that you lie on that puts pressure on nerves/muscles at the base of your skull. Sort of a DIY massage. That was very helpful, too. If you're interested, I'll go look up the name of the device and post it here.  lmk

• Like 2

@[Mi...] sure thing. Go to Amazon and type "cranio cradle home therapy system" into the search bar. I never used the device for my back . . . just used it behind my head. Very effective in between PT visits. It's about $50.  Best to you.

• Like 1

@[ia...]

Got a quick question for you about the niacin. What brand do you use? I’m looking for 50mg and not sure what brand would be the best. I also am hoping this helps with fatigue. Let me know your thoughts!

• Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 21:37, [[i...] said:

Hi @[Mi...] I have been where you have. I want to help you. Stick with me - this is going to take a moment, but I promise to give you something good and tangible.

Some of us... experience head pressure symptoms more than others. Little context - before I share solutions. I've been through significant Benzo WD two times in my life - one in my 20's - and recently, a year-long taper off two benzos in my late thirties. I just jumped off two benzos after a year-long taper. I've been off for three months. One of THE MOST challenging WD symptoms I had both times  - was migraines/pressure. The pressure really turned INTO migraines, but let me tell you - the pain... (as I'm sure you know) the pain at times was... unbearable. 

After going through the head pressure so many times - then taking my dose, getting relief.... and through trial and error in eating various foods, here is my 'bible' of benzo head pressure:

• Benzos... are vassodialators. They RELAX the blood vessels and RELAX everything in the body. The blood vessels open when relaxed. 
  • In the ABSENCE of the benzos - what happens? Everything in the body - constricts and tightens, including the blood vessels. 
  • I learned, that I needed a way to RELAX the blood vessels in the ABSENCE of benzos. Through lots of research, I found NIACIN is a vasso dilator and will OPEN the blood vessels. I tried it... it WORKED.
  • I take niacin daily. 50-100 mg. (PLEASE read up before taking. Please eat a full meal before taking. If you've never taken it - you can get the niacin flush. Not dangerous but can be uncomfortable if you haven't eaten.)

Next... When we are going through WD... Many of us develop food sensitivities and histamine issues. I found that I was getting this head pressure when eating gluten, sugar... processed foods. So I started to eat a plant based diet mostly with some fish. Head pressure began to reduce EVEN when I was in the last days of my taper and when jumping. 

Between the really strict diet - and the niacin... I do NOT get head pressure any more. OR - If I eat something sugary and the head pressure comes on - I take niacin and CHUCK water- and that works. I hope this helps!

I agree with trying to eat a mostly whole food plant-based diet. I have been eating like this since 2013. It is a hard diet to adhere to but the trade-off is improved physical and mental health IMO.

I was taking niacin but I stopped. I was taking it for a different reason, not for  headaches or head pressure. I was taking it daily. I stopped bc of some liver concerns. Ironically, it also increases your risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Everything has a risk-to-benefit ratio, even taking nutritional supplements. You have to weigh this ratio very carefully after doing your due diligence and then decide. I think one-off or short-term use for very specific needs is ok but long-term, chronic ingestion may or may not be problematic.

• Like 1

@[An...] Very good to note. I will take that into consideration 100% buddy. I’m honestly now more so trying to combat very bad fatigue I’ve been having as well. But I’m honestly too scared to take supplements lol. I think it may have something to do with the gray winter months approaching while dealing with this.

Edited by [Mi...]

@[Mi...] Hi love - this brand. https://www.amazon.com/Source-Naturals-Niacin-Vitamin-Supplement/dp/B001B4OYYC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=FNKF7Q06XO46&keywords=source+natural+niacin&qid=1700607955&sprefix=source+natural+naiacin%2Caps%2C131&sr=8-5

Source naturals. Let us know how we can help you. You'll be ok. One day at a time. REALLY dial that diet in, and I PROMISE you, you will see massive improvements. My benzo symptoms reduced by over 80% when I got serious about getting rid of caffeine, sugar, gluten and everything processed. Yeah... It sucks, I mean I want to eat a pastery every day of my life but I've learned it's not worth it. Let us know how you're doing...