Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Years on Xanax trying to stop

[Ra...]

Hello I’m new here and just wanted to say thank you for all who contribute to sharing your stories and helping with advice. I’ve read a lot in here and I’m no longer feeling like I’m alone in the battle. My primary care doctor prescribed me Xanax when I was 28 due to ptsd and serve panic attacks with very bad anxiety due to childhood trauma and also leaving a domestic violence relationship. I was in therapy for 6 years. I learned so much and it helped with recognizing sone of my triggers. Still never got off the Xanax. I had a mandatory hysterectomy due to females issues at 39 and I’m 43 now and I’ve noticed that within the past year and a half the Xanax no longer helps my anxiety, it helps physically. I noticed if I didn’t take my 1mg dose every 5-6 hours I would be physically sick. I’ve also noticed since I had my hysterectomy and it out me into early menopause I feel like the Xanax is causing me to be extra agitated. Do I decided I want off this. I do t know if it’s the menopause making this worse or what’s going on but if the Xanax is no longer helping the anxiety I do not want to be on it. I refuse to go up in dosage because I’ve always had the intention on getting off it. It’s been about 4 days and I’ve been taking 1mg in the morning and 1 mg in the afternoon. I’ve cut in half my 1mg dose at night to .50 but I’m having a difficult time. Wondering if I should have done .75mg instead of the .50mg but I’ve already gone 4 days on the .50mg so I feel like that would be going backwards. For all those who have been on this for a long time like myself how slow should I take this tapering? I do have other health issues like hypothyroidism and hypoglycemia so I take meds for those but this is the only mental health medication I take for my ptsd and anxiety. Thanks again. 

Hello @[Ra...] - welcome to BenzoBuddies!  It sounds like you're very motivated to quit Xanax.  We can help you plan a careful taper.  The first suggestion would be to slow down and make smaller cuts.  The cuts you've been making are too big.  The best way we know of to keep withdrawal symptoms as minimal as possible is to taper slowly.  This gives your system time to repair itself.  We typically suggest making cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or longer.  It's best to remain flexible and make adjustments along the way depending in response to how you're feeling.  

It seems probable you've become tolerant to the drug and that's why it no longer feels like it's helping you.  If I were in your shoes I would start by trying to keep your daily dose as consistent as possible for a week or so to try to stabilize before trying to taper.  You may want to return to the original dosage of 1mg in the am and 1mg in the evening.  Has that always been your dosage pattern?  

• Like 1

Hello @[Ra...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I think your instincts are correct. Both that taking Xanax long-term to treat anxiety is not a great option, as we become tolerant of its effects, often resulting in escalation of use/dosage; and the symptoms you describe sound like pretty-typical interdose withdrawal effects to me. And the difficulties you describe since cutting your dose is to be expected. (Though, you should always discuss these matters with your doctor.)

Cutting your daily dose by 25% was likely to cause you some problems. But since it is doe, I suggest that if you can stand it, chalk it up to experience and ride it out. But make smaller cuts in future.

What dose pills do you use? Xanax is generally available in 0.25mg tablets. You might even divide those in two to make smaller cuts.

Your daily dose in now 1.5mg - yes? In your shoes, I would concentrate on cutting the morning dose until it aligns with the evening dose. And then cut each dose in stepwise fashion.

When you feel reasonably recovered from this cut, I suggest that you cut by no more than 0.25mg (from your morning dose). But this will account for a cut of nearly 17% of your present dose. Alternatively, cutting by 0.125mg (half of 0.25mg tablet, about 8%) might be advisable.

As your dose goes down, cuts of 0.125mg to your dose will mean that the percentage rises. For example, 0.125mg cut from a dose of 1mg is 12.5%; and 0.125mg cut from a dose of 0.5mg is 25%. Don't worry about this. At lower doses, Xanax will have a smaller effect upon your GABA receptors, so larger cuts (in terms of percentage) have a corresponding diminished effect.

Nevertheless, you might find that cuts of 0.125mg are too difficult as your taper progresses. There are options available for making smaller cuts if necessary. We can discuss those if and when they are required.

Welcome @[Ra...],

you seem to have a good grasp of the situation and that is a really good thing. You already received advice from people more knowledgeable than I am, but I’d like to chime in:

9 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I’m having a difficult time. Wondering if I should have done .75mg instead of the .50mg but I’ve already gone 4 days on the .50mg so I feel like that would be going backwards.

Take notes! Every hour if necessary. Cuts might manifestate days later. I found it lifesaving in order to be able to start my taper from the more stable position as we all wish for you and critically decide times, dosages, and even a med switch. I took big leaps of faith but at least I know when they were wrong or right ;)

wish you all the best best 

4 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hello @[Ra...] - welcome to BenzoBuddies!  It sounds like you're very motivated to quit Xanax.  We can help you plan a careful taper.  The first suggestion would be to slow down and make smaller cuts.  The cuts you've been making are too big.  The best way we know of to keep withdrawal symptoms as minimal as possible is to taper slowly.  This gives your system time to repair itself.  We typically suggest making cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or longer.  It's best to remain flexible and make adjustments along the way depending in response to how you're feeling.  

It seems probable you've become tolerant to the drug and that's why it no longer feels like it's helping you.  If I were in your shoes I would start by trying to keep your daily dose as consistent as possible for a week or so to try to stabilize before trying to taper.  You may want to return to the original dosage of 1mg in the am and 1mg in the evening.  Has that always been your dosage pattern? 

Thank you  for your recommendations and your help. When I first started in my 20s I was on 1mg in the morning and 1mg in the evening but if needed I was able to take a 3rd pill if I had a panic attack in between. That was when I was about 28 I’ve only upped the Xanax dosage once since then so for the past 5 years I’ve been taking 1mg in the morning about 6:30am 1mg at 1:30pm and 1mg at 8:30pm until 4 days ago when I decided to split the 8:30pm dose to .50mg. Yes I believe my body has now unfortunately built up a tolerance and I’m not willing to go up on this medication. My doctor has my prescription as 3-4 a day but I will not take any more than the 3 because I’m scared my body is just going to go deeper and deeper into dependency on this and it’s my mind that needs the help and it’s doing nothing anymore for my mind. 

2 hours ago, [[I...] said:

Welcome @[Ra...],

you seem to have a good grasp of the situation and that is a really good thing. You already received advice from people more knowledgeable than I am, but I’d like to chime in:

Take notes! Every hour if necessary. Cuts might manifestate days later. I found it lifesaving in order to be able to start my taper from the more stable position as we all wish for you and critically decide times, dosages, and even a med switch. I took big leaps of faith but at least I know when they were wrong or right ;)

wish you all the best best 

Thank you 😊 I hope you are stable in your journey and I will definitely start to take notes. That’s a great suggestion. I appreciate that 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hello @[Ra...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I think your instincts are correct. Both that taking Xanax long-term to treat anxiety is not a great option, as we become tolerant of its effects, often resulting in escalation of use/dosage. The symptoms you describe sound like pretty-typical interdose withdrawal effects to me. And the difficulties you describe since cutting your dose is to be expected. (Though, you should always discuss these matters with your doctor.)

Cutting your daily dose by 25% was likely to cause you some problems. But since it is doe, I suggest that if you can stand it, chalk it up to experience and ride it out. But make smaller cuts in future.

What dose pills do you use? Xanax is generally available in 0.25mg tablets. You might even divide those in two to make smaller cuts.

Your daily dose in now 1.5mg - yes? In your shoes, I would concentrate on cutting the morning dose until it aligns with the evening dose. And then cut each dose in stepwise fashion.

When you feel reasonably recovered from this cut, I suggest that you cut by no more than 0.25mg (from your morning dose). But this will account for a cut of nearly 17% of your present dose. Alternatively, cutting by 0.125mg (half of 0.25mg tablet, about 8%) might be advisable.

As your dose goes down, cuts of 0.125mg to your dose will mean that the percentage rises. For example, 0.125mg cut from a dose of 1mg is 12.5%; and 0.125mg cut from a dose of 0.5mg is 25%. Don't worry about this. At lower doses, Xanax will have a smaller effect upon your GABA receptors, so larger cuts (in terms of percentage) have a corresponding diminished effect.

Nevertheless, you might find that cuts of 0.125mg are too difficult as your taper progresses. There are options available for making smaller cuts if necessary. We can discuss those if and when they are required.

Hello thank you for your advice and your comment. I am prescribed 1mg blue tablets. So my dosage was 3mg per day but my doctor has the prescription written out that says take 3-4 per day I have not taken the 4th pill so daily is 3mg been doing that for about 5 years now I started on 2 mg years and years ago. So with my decision to stop this medication I am now on 2.5mg I cut my last dose at night which was 1mg down to .50mg and I’m noticing a lot of anxiety, restlessness, paranoia, chills, then hot flashes, headaches. I did not know that going down by .50 mg would be so noticeable.

3 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

Hello thank you for your advice and your comment. I am prescribed 1mg blue tablets. So my dosage was 3mg per day but my doctor has the prescription written out that says take 3-4 per day I have not taken the 4th pill so daily is 3mg been doing that for about 5 years now I started on 2 mg years and years ago. So with my decision to stop this medication I am now on 2.5mg I cut my last dose at night which was 1mg down to .50mg and I’m noticing a lot of anxiety, restlessness, paranoia, chills, then hot flashes, headaches. I did not know that going down by .50 mg would be so noticeable.

Ah. So, from 3mg down to 2.5mg per day. So that's a 17% cut. That's significantly higher than we usually suggest to members. The chances are, though, that you will adjust to the within a week or two. Or at least feel much improved.

The rest of my suggestions stand - try to make smaller cuts to your dose. In your shoes, I'd ask my doctor if I could have a prescription for 0.5mg tablets now, and 0.25mg tablets later. This would allow you to mix and match and make smaller cuts to you dose.

5 minutes ago, [[I...] said:

Also, you are not alone here with that kind of trauma. Not an advice but I believe is something that might help to be heard :)

Just a couple of ideas 

https://benzobuddies.org/topic/273029-best-diary-journaling-app/#comment-3466527

Thank you I just went into my reminders and set up a section to write in I usually use notes on my iPhone but I’m going to give that a try. 😊

1 minute ago, [[R...] said:

Thank you I just went into my reminders

I wrote an edit that I went back on Notes and why. But you’ll find what’s best for you.

bo, I’m not stable but I get better everyday, thanks for asking :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, [[C...] said:

Ah. So, from 3mg down to 2.5mg per day. So that's a 17% cut. That's significantly higher than we usually suggest to members. The chances are, though, that you will adjust to the within a week or two. Or at least feel much improved.

The rest of my suggestions stand - try to make smaller cuts to your dose. In your shoes, I'd ask my doctor if I could have a prescription for 0.5mg tablets now, and 0.25mg tablets later. This would allow you to mix and match and make smaller cuts to you dose.

My doctor is not on board with me stopping this or at least with cutting down to a maintenance dose. He feels that my body is dependent on this and feels I am going to end up having bad panic attacks like before with disassociation. I have lost my mom and my grandmother all within the past two years plus with menopause. He feels that this is way too much for me to deal with. Mentally I am trying to explain to everybody that this medicine is no longer helping me like it used to if I am feeling like I am going to have a panic attack. The only way the Xanax will work is if I actually chew the tablet with no water and dissolve it on my tongue. Then I will start to feel some relief. I agree with you. I do think that cutting it by .5 mg was a little too much I should’ve started tapering suddenly thank you for your suggestion and the next taper I will definitely do it better. I am all new to this and I am definitely doing this alone as everybody wants me dependent on this for some reason I do not know I’m sure they want what is best for me and they think this medication is better it did save me from taking my life a few times but I know my body better than anybody and when I don’t feel that something is working anymore I just don’t feel that I should be taking it. I feel like that would be abusing the medication and only setting myself up for future failure to try to get off of it at a later time

@[Ra...] I am not hardcore about people getting of benzodiazepines (or z-drugs). For me, people and lives are far too complicated to presume this for others. So, I ask this as a genuine question: does your doctor have a point? Might this not be the right time to do this? (Again, I mean this as genuine open enquiry - even if it might read as such, it is not a loaded question.)

And on the flip side: how do you think your doctor would react if told him/her that you have decided to taper off and you would like to do this sensibly, making only small cuts to see how you react? Might he/her then prescribe smaller dose pills?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

@[Ra...] I am not hardcore about people getting of benzodiazepines (or z-drugs). For me, people and lives are far too complicated to presume this for others. So, I ask this as a genuine question: does your doctor have a point? Might this not be the right time to do this? (Again, I mean this as genuine open enquiry - even if it might read as such, it is not a loaded question.)

And on the flip side: how do you think your doctor would react if told him/her that you have decided to taper off and you would like to do this sensibly, making only small cuts to see how you react? Might he/her then prescribe smaller dose pills?

The only reason why I personally want to get off of it is because I just don’t feel that it helps me. I would not mind being on a low maintenance dose or just having the prescription on hand as an as needed type of thing but for me, I just don’t like the idea of having to take this medication because my body is craving it when it is not working anymore for my mind, I kind of feel like a drug attic in a sort of a way by only having to crush it and chew it up in order for it to work when I am having a panic attack. Otherwise, I am just taking it to take it to maintain my body withdrawals from it. I feel like this medication is definitely life-saving as it was for me and I’m not against it at all. I just feel with everything else that my body is going through at the moment for some reason it is not working for me anymore and that is the thing that I have a problem with. My doctor said in his opinion I will be on this medication forever, because he feels that my brain will no longer be able to create the chemicals that the Xanax has produced instead of my brain naturally producing them now, which is why I am OK with staying on a low dosage of it. I just do not feel like 3 mg a day is necessary for me. I feel it like it used to be and it used to work wonderful for me. I can speak with him the next time I see him next month and ask him how he feels about me tapering off and going on a lower dosage. I feel not everybody is the same and we all require different types of medication and different dosages I did not feel like this was going to be an easy thing. I just needed support from somewhere because everybody around me seems to think that this is a bad idea. If this does not work out and I am not able to get off of the medication, at least I will know that I tried I’m not on a self sabotaging mission, so whatever is best for my body and my mind I’m willing to do I just feel like it’s been so long since I’ve been on this medication and I just really want to see how I am off of it. I hope that can make sense. 

@[Ra...] I don't think your desire to get off (or reduce your dose) is unreasonable. But do keep in mind that going through repeated cycles of use, tapering off, and then restarting, can create 'kindling' effects. I am not saying do not do it because you risk kindling. I only mention this as a warning in case you end up going through repeated cycles of this - this is to be avoided.

But if you are sensible about this, and have your doctor on board (you will need appropriate prescriptions), then I understand. And perhaps your doctor will understand too if you present a cautious plan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Thank you 😊 my original dosage is 1mg am 1mg afternoon and 1mg in the evening. So 3mg daily. I am definitely needing a change as I agree my body is dependent on this medication and I do not feel upping the dosage would be in my benefit. If I was still having success with keeping my panic attacks and my anxiety stabilized on this dosage of Xanax I would probably be ok with continuing. But unfortunately that isn’t the case. This will be my first time with trying to lower or hopefully get off Xanax since I was prescribed this when younger. So I am anticipating a very long and bumpy road🙏🏻

8 minutes ago, [[R...] said:

This will be my first time with trying to lower or hopefully get off Xanax since I was prescribed this when younger. So I am anticipating a very long and bumpy road🙏🏻

Try not expect the worst. What is likely is that you will experience some symptoms and difficulties. And since only a minority experience worst case scenarios, you likely will avoid this.

• Love 1

Hi @[Ra...] and welcome to BB.

I simply wish to echo what Colin wrote to you. I would try not to make any further cuts after the latest .5. I would also try to avoid updosing if possible. Hopefully, you will stabilize at 2.5. All future cuts should be much smaller. Do you plan on trying to slowly taper the Xanax to zero or substituting a longer half-life benzo like valium if the interdose w/d gets too bad?

• Like 1

Hello thank you. 
I have tried multiple antidepressants and other benzodiazepines in the past. At one point about 15 years ago I was in a facility for about 3 weeks I had tried to end things so when I left and while I was there they messed around with a range of medication. I did not do very well on most of them. Sone reason they seem to interfere with my thyroid medication or my beta blocker meds. I have tried Wellbutrin and had some success with that however my family said I was a completely different person and showed no feelings and was completely numb on it. I didn’t feel like I was behaving that way. And it actually gave me a lot of energy. So I plan on lowering it to the minimum dose then attempting on stopping it if possible but if I need to maintain a low dose I’m fine with that 

I read your response to Colin, Rae. Is your prescriber a pdoc, PCP, or another practitioner like a NP or PA?

Many pdocs tend to overprescribe IMO. My benzos are prescribed by a PCP and he is ok with me being on benzos or off them. He thinks I may need to be on them with my medical history but I expressed my wishes to him that I want to try to slowly come off and his response to me was, ok, let's try it, see how you do and if it does not work out, you can simply go back on. I have a very good doctor. When I was seeing a pdoc when I was on klonopin, the relationship was more of a master / slave relationship. When I would express to him that I was having issues with the klonopin, his response was your panic and anxiety are getting worse and you need more klonopin and other drugs. It even made him angry when I outright refused to take APs off-label. I was very happy after I fired this guy many years ago.

I will listen to medical advice from my PCP but then I will make the final decision as to whether I want to take that advice or not. I take full responsibility for my own life and health in the end. Doctors can help in the decision making but I have to live in my body, so I am the final arbiter. Your doctor should respect your decision and try to help you to slowly come off or lower the xanax. If she or he does not, I would start looking for another doctor but do not fire the current prescriber until you have a new one in place. Most PCPs would be elated if you tell them you would like to withdraw from benzos. The problem is they don't know how to properly withdraw you. They taper you too fast and the withdrawal becomes intolerable.

I would present a taper plan the next time you see your doctor and see if this person is amenable.

Hello, thank you for replying back to me. I have a wonderful doctor he’s my primary care doctor. I actually have Kaiser and I am not a big fan of their mental health. I think it needs so much work. I used to see a psychologist and a psychiatrist through there, and you were right it was more like a master slave type of relationship and I ended it and made it clear to my primary care physician that continuing the course through Kaiser’s behavioral health was doing nothing but worsening my conditions the psychiatrist all I wanted to do was load up on different type of medication‘s. It was like I was constantly trying a new medication, in addition to the Xanax, which I was already on, and it was making all of my levels crazy. My thyroid levels were off-balance. My blood work was just coming back really bad and mentally I did not feel good. I was having hallucinations constantly. It was just a very bad thing. I have a wonderful relationship with my primary care physician I’ve been seeing him for years he actually is  the doctor for my whole family so he knows my family history and he’s just really nervous with everything going on within my life and losing my mother and my grandmother plus going through menopause he thinks coming off of the Xanax is just not a great idea but I’m sure if I spoke with him about a tapering schedule he ultimately always respects my decisions. I just know the last time I spoke with him he was adamant about me, trying to stick with the Xanax, at least for a while longer, and then told me if I wanted to revisit it in the future we could but for now, he thought it would be in my best interest to just continue on, I feel like I am hanging in there with the 2.5 instead of the 3 mg but it is challenging. I will tell you what I am physically having a hard time. Mentally I think I’m doing ok I’m not any worse which is great I thought I would be more mentally having side effects but it’s the swearing the headaches the dizziness and forgetting stuff that is really noticeable with me cutting it by .50mg . I am 100% with you. You are the best advocate for your body and you are the final decision maker. I really wish I would’ve had that mindset when I went into this whole thing, but I was pretty lost at the time this all started.

On 15/11/2023 at 22:36, [[R...] said:

My doctor said in his opinion I will be on this medication forever, because he feels that my brain will no longer be able to create the chemicals that the Xanax has produced instead of my brain naturally producing them now

Fortunately he's wrong about that.

• Like 2