Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I forgot about smiling

[34...]

Smiling, even just the mechanism of raising the corners of the mouth has a positive effect and triggers all manner of 'good' chemicals according to various studies. Just google 'smiling for health'  

I only just thought of it today and feel I have had a long face for a very long time. Another benefit might help us head symptom sufferers as I notice a whole new set of muscles in my face, head and neck are being activated. I don't want to overdo it but I'm trying to remember to make 3 big cheesy smiles every hour or so followed by sticking my tongue out three times pushing it down and three times pushing it straight out, all those different muscles being woken up and oxygenated must have some effect over time.  Anyway let's see if it makes any difference, can't do any harm!

hI @[GA...] Wow so much truth to this. I can relate to the long face. I haven't laughed much the last couple years. I love laughing and smiling but it just has not come as naturally to me as it normally does.... It's crazy how these drugs can truly impact the core of our being around happy hormones and chemicals. I'm going to do what you're doing and 'smile' at least three times day. Appreciate you!

@[GA...] thanks for your advice! I never worried about my physical appearance (not judging those who are); but I worry to meet people who know me after disappearing for such a long time and reappearing so deformed. Your advice helps me with that 

@[Id...] well the first thing to say is not to worry about people only about yourself, at least for now anyway. To add to the smiling regime, bearing in mind I only started this yesterday! try smiling at yourself in the mirror, double the effect I reckon!

@[GA...]

13 hours ago, [[G...] said:

not to worry about people only about yourself

It’s what I do. I perceived really clearly I am taken aback when I show my “new” ravaged face only to people that knows the “old” one. I don’t care about judgement: I feel plain shame; like I showing symptoms that is always there of something no one believes even when I cared to explain. 

13 hours ago, [[G...] said:

bearing in mind I only started this yesterday!

That’s perfectly fine! We don’t need smile athletes for a good advice. Your comment made me smile, and I am smiling a bit typing this after some dewy eyes explaining the above. 

Thank you 

@[Id...] 

We are all on our own "Hero's Journey" and these kinds of travels are traditionally taken alone. 

Strangely the smiling is leading to crying and all manner of emotions are stirring, like sleeping dragon's woken up in their caves after a hundred years. I'm seeing this as a good thing!

2 hours ago, [[G...] said:

Thanks @[An...] I'd been thinking about how our medical system is in the Stone Age and that made me think of The Flintstones and the rest just fell into place!

LMAO, true!😁

If you don’t feel like smiling you can still clamp  a pen crosswise between your teeth… apparently you then use the same muscles as if smiling. It can help lifting up the moods… good luck 🍀