Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Three months of occasional lorazepam. This has to stop

[...]

Hello everybody, after surgery last July I panicked because I gave myself bad chronic neuropathy trough the use of an antidepressant. To calm down I got lorazepam. Used it sparingly over the last three months as I knew about the risks. Alas, here I am having zero sleep on nights without it. Plus all the electricity and palpitations. What would you do? If I order the tapering strips from the pharmacy it will take a while to get it and I will have to take the lorazepam daily to avoid going crazy from sleep deprivation. I am on 1 mlg now. 0,5 doesn’t work anymore. Thank you so much for your opinion. 

Hello @[...] and welcome to Benzo Buddies!

I am glad you are aware of the risks of long term benzo use. However, these drugs and tricky and it doesn’t take long for a physical dependency to develop. It appears this happened to you.

Let me as you a few questions. Did you stop taking the lorazepam suddenly? Was it after the cold turkey that the insomnia became severe? When did you reinstate the lorazepam?

I see you have tapering strips ordered. If you feel stable you can start a slow taper and when they arrive, continue with the taper strips. I am not an expert at tapering, mine was rough because both I and my doctor were learning together. 

We generally recommend reducing no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. 

Once we hear back from you we can go into more detail about your tapering goals.

pianogirl 

Hi pianogirl, thank you for responding. 
I hoped I could get away with taking it twice a week. But now I don’t sleep on the nights I don’t take it so I am now increasing the intake. Horribly enough. Only because I am desperate to sleep. So the coming nights I will probably take 1 m. 
I have chronic nerve pain in my feet so the nights are very uncomfortable anyway. I drive my gp crazy probably with all my questions these times but I hope she will write the recipe for the tapering. I will go as slow as possible?