Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taper: Lorazepam, Ambien, Phenibut

[sl...]

I’ve been prescribed 12.5 mg of Zolpidem and 2mg Lorazepam by a longtime psychiatrist for 21 years. I have OCD and experienced a childhood trauma. Four years ago, I added 2grams Phenibut, thinking of it as a nootropic.

My psychiatrist retired, and it seems like the right time to taper off.  My PCP seems reluctant to continue, though is doing it. I realize these meds are probably causing rebound anxiety and they no longer help with insomnia. 

I’m terrified, truthfully.  I need to be high functioning ( no pun ) in my job and life.  Plus, these meds are a ritual, a security blanket, and I’ve read memoirs and catastrophe stories. I’ve read the Ashton M .

Phenibut was a major mistake, and my instinct is to tackle that first?

I would appreciate any guidance or a schedule to follow. 

Thank you for reading 

Hello @[sl...],

I see you joined the forum years ago. It seems like you are ready to start the taper process. Yes, there are those who have had a difficult time with this process, but that doesn’t mean you will. We each will have our own withdrawal. It might not be easy, but it is doable. 

I don’t have experience with zolpidem, so I can’t speak to that. The same is true for phenibut. I hope others will weigh in with their experiences. 

The one factor in this equation that applies to all three drugs is that a slow, sensible taper is best. Since you need to be functional for work and life, as you say, a symptom  based taper might work well for you. We generally suggest reducing no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. Some people go even slower. 

We have had people here in the past who were tapering pheibut. Since it has a pretty short half life, that might be the best drug to taper first. 

We’ll help and support you through this process so keep asking questions.