Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Abdominal Cramping, Spasms, Tightness

[mi...]

This tightness and cramping and trapped gas in my gut is debilitating. I’ve been finally starting to handle stress well again since my setback. When my gut stops squeezing I can go out and watch my kids sports, I went by the school I worked at and gave some of the kids some hugs, we are moving next week and I’m dealing with some of that. It’s not all perfect but I’m getting a lot of my brain back at times and sensory stuff is lessening most of the time. But this damn gut. It’s like it is just squeezing and pinching everywhere. It pulls on my spine and locks up my lower back and aches everywhere. Constantly moves around. When it’s bad my mental state goes to a very bad place and then I will randomly pass gas and it relaxes and my mood improves immediately. Wtf is this? There is this direct mind gut connection where panic and gut spasms are like talking to each other. I can think myself into a spasm or a spasm can put me into panic. I’ve never felt such hyper awareness of a bodily system in my life. Over 3.5 months of this after two years of not having it on K. Does this settle down even a little bit on the way down. I mea. Other stuff is slowly starting to. 

Edited by [mi...]

Oh, man. I felt like I was reading my own post! I’ve only had these dreadful abdominal spasms for about a week - accompanied by the pulling and squeezing and pinching and inability to stand up without wanting to cry. So I guess I don’t have a whole lot to offer, except to let you know that you’re not alone. 💜

On 10/11/2023 at 15:38, [[m...] said:

I'm amazed how much the gut can influence the mind. I'll have sudden panic and strange thoughts, then pass gas and it goes away.

That's just one example. It's Crazy.

Wow me too! I can be doing good and then the gut acts up and my brain goes nuts and I panic and want to die. But yet I’ll pass gas and it relaxes and all feels normal after a scary state. I don’t get it. You still getting that or is it easing for you?

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15/11/2023 at 08:10, [[m...] said:

Wow me too! I can be doing good and then the gut acts up and my brain goes nuts and I panic and want to die. But yet I’ll pass gas and it relaxes and all feels normal after a scary state. I don’t get it. You still getting that or is it easing for you?

Still get it. I keep a food log  but I cannot figure it out. I Had a full panic attack today. In bed now.   

I felt healed mentally and physically for over a week.  Yesterday I even called a friend and told him the sycosis finally lifted after 16 months.  

This sucks.

On 10/11/2023 at 20:38, [[m...] said:

This tightness and cramping and trapped gas in my gut is debilitating. I’ve been finally starting to handle stress well again since my setback. When my gut stops squeezing I can go out and watch my kids sports, I went by the school I worked at and gave some of the kids some hugs, we are moving next week and I’m dealing with some of that. It’s not all perfect but I’m getting a lot of my brain back at times and sensory stuff is lessening most of the time. But this damn gut. It’s like it is just squeezing and pinching everywhere. It pulls on my spine and locks up my lower back and aches everywhere. Constantly moves around. When it’s bad my mental state goes to a very bad place and then I will randomly pass gas and it relaxes and my mood improves immediately. Wtf is this? There is this direct mind gut connection where panic and gut spasms are like talking to each other. I can think myself into a spasm or a spasm can put me into panic. I’ve never felt such hyper awareness of a bodily system in my life. Over 3.5 months of this after two years of not having it on K. Does this settle down even a little bit on the way down. I mea. Other stuff is slowly starting to. 

Hi Mikeyjoed,

I have read some of your posts about muscle tightness, pressure and squeezing. How long have you been off the med?

I too experience torso tightness, squeezing and also rib, oblique, back, flanks tightness and pain. Well it moves round.

Have these symptoms slowly improved for you? Are you seeing any progress?

My ones are slightly better however it is all up and down and veryyy slow.

Healing vibes to you 💕

Edited by [Gi...]
  • Like 1

On 21/02/2024 at 13:01, [[G...] said:

I have this relentless squeezing of my torso. Will it ever go? 😔

I have this so bad.  At night its the worst I have low back pain and tightness squeezing in my torso rib flanks and lower gut...your not alone.  How long are you off?

On 14/11/2023 at 23:03, [[R...] said:

Oh, man. I felt like I was reading my own post! I’ve only had these dreadful abdominal spasms for about a week - accompanied by the pulling and squeezing and pinching and inability to stand up without wanting to cry. So I guess I don’t have a whole lot to offer, except to let you know that you’re not alone. 💜

Reluctant taper lady, I'm reading your reply. Question, when u say inability to stand, what happens when u stand? I'm asking because this thread has a lot in common with my abdominal symptoms. Do u have any nerve pain in and outside your abdominal area? I have this, it's like a tightness in that stretches up to my chest. Like electrical current, Like being plugged in to an electrical socket! I have difficulty standing and walking. This started with spasms in my abdomen or like vibrations, nervy type stuff, hard to explain but as mileyjoed said, squeezing and pulling on my spine and locking up my lower back, only I'm locked up in and below my shoulder blade and around to my diaphram. 

I am numb from the upper waste down!

Does any of this sound like anyone here?

Ns

I have the abdominal squeezing mainly when I sit down. My torso will just seize up, squeeze or tighten up. Terrible!

I am amazed at this thread! All of you have the same symptoms as I do with exception of the electrical current type stuff.

We're all really hypersensitive I know that foe sure but there must be something I'm common here. 

I'm still tapering lorazepam.  I had a reaction to it and had to taper. Each dose makes these symptoms come on and are worse each and everyday. 

I'm down to such a low dose but can't budge as I never stabilize. I've cut 5% here and there but am at a stand still.

I'd sure love to know what un common we have to see if there is any connection.?

Just now, [[G...] said:

I have the abdominal squeezing mainly when I sit down. My torso will just seize up, squeeze or tighten up. Terrible!

I do too, I can't eat unless I sort of lay back in the chair. Once I relax on the couch sort of leaning on a pillow I'm able to deal with it but it's still very uncomfortable. 

Standing and walking are the worst because everything in my torso area front and back seizes up and feels like electricity running thru me!?

Just now, [[n...] said:

I do too, I can't eat unless I sort of lay back in the chair. Once I relax on the couch sort of leaning on a pillow I'm able to deal with it but it's still very uncomfortable. 

Standing and walking are the worst because everything in my torso area front and back seizes up and feels like electricity running thru me!? My upper arms tighten up to a point where it feels like I'm having a heart attack but I'm not. Of course, I do get tachycardia daily with this.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

Hi Dazy,

Thank you for your reply. Sorry you are having this dreadful symptoms too.

I have been off 1 year from Lexapro and 9 month from a very short usage of Z drugs for a month sporadically no more than twice a week. So no sure what med caused these symptoms. These symptoms make me suicidal. These are the only lingering symptoms that I have left.

How long have you been off? Have these symptoms improved for you?

I am ct off clonz 18 months now.  (11 yrs of use as directed) Lots of symptoms have improved horrible shakes, electric brain, ringing in the ears, mouth burning, jello legs very hard time walking, insomnia.  The muscle squeezing has been with me from the beginning and just wont subside.  Looks like this is common it sucks for sure.  Some days are better than others, I try to walk for an hr a day really helps my mind.  God Bless you, prayers for healing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Standing and walking are the worst because everything in my torso area front and back seizes up and feels like electricity running thru me!?

yes when I sit, its like my bra band is too tight sometimes, it goes low into my gut and back.  And when I drive, it drives me nuts I cant get comfortable. othertimes it feels like I slept on sometime hard on my right ribcage.

31 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I pray for all of us that these awful symptoms go the sooner the better.

Edited by [Gi...]
  • Like 2

On 03/01/2024 at 12:14, [[K...] said:

Hello fellow buddies

I’m almost off diazepam. Been a struggle & I’m doing this alone and by sheer self will. 

I’ve had weird mouth issues for 2 months since slow reduction & it’s been diagnosed by GP as burning mouth/tongue syndrome. Seems a possible side effect/withdrawal symptom. I’m interested to know if others on/off benzos have experienced this please? 

yes I have burning mouth its a lot better now.  I am 18 months

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 15:38, [[m...] said:

I'm gonna try 100 ruminant animal only for a while.

My symptoms /panic/ spasms are pronounced at 3 hours after eating. They are much milder so far.

Also the constant burning has gone away. Just the first day but I'll follow up.