Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Muscles strained and sprained

[sh...]

23 hours ago, [[n...] said:

@[...] I woke one morning a few weeks ago with almost zero pain, I was ecstatic, I felt 10 years younger and if that`s how recovery will feel, then yes we`ll be happy beyond belief.

It`s strange how one side of our body is affected worse than the other.   Let`s keep in touch and help each other through this.  

Has anyone tried muscle relaxers?  My DR and Physical Therapist prescribed eperisone (myonal).  I have some disk compression in my neck - been there a while and is normal degeneration for a 60 year old.  It may be contributing to my stiff neck.

Neck pain also surely due to taper as well.  I am currently tapering and on 3.33 mg Valium at the moment.  Thought I would ask the group if anyone has had any experience.  Thanks in advance  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eperisone

18 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Has anyone tried muscle relaxers?  My DR and Physical Therapist prescribed eperisone (myonal).  I have some disk compression in my neck - been there a while and is normal degeneration for a 60 year old.  It may be contributing to my stiff neck.

Neck pain also surely due to taper as well.  I am currently tapering and on 3.33 mg Valium at the moment.  Thought I would ask the group if anyone has had any experience.  Thanks in advance  

@[Kh...]   I tried a muscle relaxer briefly, sadly it didn`t help. Sorry but can`t remember what it was called.   I`ve never heard of the one you mention.  Perhaps a search of the whole forum may show someone has had success with it.    If it works, please let us all know.

17 hours ago, [[n...] said:

@[Kh...]   I tried a muscle relaxer briefly, sadly it didn`t help. Sorry but can`t remember what it was called.   I`ve never heard of the one you mention.  Perhaps a search of the whole forum may show someone has had success with it.    If it works, please let us all know.

I will let you know.  I’ve also had 2 PT sessions so far where they are using ultrasound therapy, then massage on my tight muscles.  It’s interesting that it’s clear my neck muscles are tight, but connected down to the shoulder and back region all the way down to muscles in the lat area - a whole collection of muscles that are very tight.  PT trying to loosen.  Minor improvement over 2 sessions.  Will keep on this and report back. 🙏🙏

• Like 2

1 hour ago, [[n...] said:

Thank you @[...] and thank you @[sh...].    I hope you both had a Christmas that you could enjoy.   

We had family arrive, thankfully my husband helped me and I pushed through.  Pushing like that tended to make the pain worse, so I had to take a lot of breaks - but we got there.  

I saw a video by Jenn Leigh on YouTube explaining the pain - wow I could relate to everything she said.   She was describing my experience.

I haven`t provided a link (sorry) I looked and couldn`t find it again, but you guys may be able to.  She said all her pain has gone.    That is what I am wishing us all in 2024 .  

@[ne...], thank you for good wishing) I hope everything is going to be exactly this way. And i'll try to find the video you mentioned. 

I think the after-Christmas calmness  will sooth your pain and tension. I've noticed that too much of emotional involvement makes things a bit worse, at least for me.

I can't make a deal with my muscle yet - my nape, back and now upper legs are painful and tense...but sometimes i begin to get better in the evening on my bad days. I like the change)

So we are moving further to the brighter days)

• Like 1

On 22/12/2023 at 08:24, [[K...] said:

I tried tizanidine.  It helped maybe 20%.  It was very good at making me sleep though.  Unfortunately, it’s short acting and you can’t take it during the day unless you have nothing going on because you’ll want to sleep.  

Sadly, I think the mechanism by which benzo injuries give us muscle pain and tension is beyond anything they have medicine for (except benzos as muscle relaxers which we obviously can’t take). 

[fe...]

Anyone that’s experienced this, how long after jumping off did it get better? Was it gradual or all at once? Prettty much need a miracle right now 5 weeks out..,,.

21 hours ago, [[n...] said:

@[...]  Yes hopefully now that Christmas is over, we can all calm our CNS, which can only be a good thing.  Any stress, good or bad tend to make the pain worse ( for me too) 

I`m sorry to hear you`re getting pain in all those places, I do too but so far today my side/flank area is getting it the worst. I`m hardly daring to hope but my neck has been ok for a few days.  Evenings are better for me as well, the worst pain doesn`t go, but the niggly ones can disappear, which is something at least.

We must be moving forward Kate, even if it doesn`t feel like it, we`re told we`ll heal.  

Keep going and I will too 

@[ne...], of course we'll heal even if we don't believe in it. This statement is a relief to me bc sometimes, when i'm stuck in pain i doubt it, not often luckily)

I'm glad for your neck and so sorry for your flank. Hopefully, it'll follow your neck in the healing process.

This week i went to the neurologist who's been treating my headaches. I'm sure they were caused by the drugs but she doesn't think much of benzos though prescribes them... She checked my muscles and didn't find anything too wrong with them. Said they couldn't be painful that much... But in the whole she was satisfied with my condition and in the end said "You must be VERY patient.")

So believe it or not, recovery is bound to come)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Anyone that’s experienced this, how long after jumping off did it get better? Was it gradual or all at once? Prettty much need a miracle right now 5 weeks out..,,.

@[st...], hi) Do you mean muscle stiffness and pain? If so, it takes different people different time but it tend to be quite a while( For me, it's lasted for months. But the intensity varies and it doesn't feel unbearable too often. I still have it but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying life except some days. 

It's also the case for me that different muscles get better in different time and it happens rather suddenly.

8 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Yeah muscle stiffness and pain - can’t walk and can barely move honestly - not what I was banking on 35 days out  - no quality of life and rapidly declining unfortunately, I don’t think seeing a doctor will change anything because I’ve done so previously and everything was normal, quite the situation I must say….

@[st...], you know 35 days is too early to judge. When i was 35 days off i was happy that i still was alive. By my and other's experience, you might get even a bit worse for a while but it's normal. If you were checked and everything was ok, then, i think, it"s really benzo that is responsible and you will get better eventually. 

Hi guys

Sorry you`re struggling @[st...], as @[...] said it`s still early days for you.  You could still be in the acute stage. 

I `m wondering guys if you`re ever ok during the night or is your pain 24/7?   I`ve had a few nights where the pain has gone, then some nights where the pain keeps me awake- there really is no sense to this.  Last night, during the night, I woke pain free, went back to sleep in bliss,  but it built up once I was awake this morning again, so disappointing!   It feels chemical when the pain starts kicking in again.  I am still at a loss as to whether this is the muscle relaxing property of the benzo ( our muscles need to learn to relax again) or there`s receptors in the muscles that need to upregulate?   Sorry if it`s been discussed already, I`ve got a bit of benzo brain still. 

Knowing what`s happening helps don`t you think? 

At about 4 weeks off I took pregabalin for 10 days, it helped, it really did lessen the pain.  But I knew this wasn`t the way I wanted to go.  But now I`m wondering if I ought to have stayed on it?  IDK?

Anyway today after a peaceful night my hip area is squeezing, my neck has decided to join the party again and my face is pulling on the left side.  UGH!

How are you my friends ? 

2 hours ago, [[n...] said:

Hi guys

Sorry you`re struggling @[st...], as @[...] said it`s still early days for you.  You could still be in the acute stage. 

I `m wondering guys if you`re ever ok during the night or is your pain 24/7?   I`ve had a few nights where the pain has gone, then some nights where the pain keeps me awake- there really is no sense to this.  Last night, during the night, I woke pain free, went back to sleep in bliss,  but it built up once I was awake this morning again, so disappointing!   It feels chemical when the pain starts kicking in again.  I am still at a loss as to whether this is the muscle relaxing property of the benzo ( our muscles need to learn to relax again) or there`s receptors in the muscles that need to upregulate?   Sorry if it`s been discussed already, I`ve got a bit of benzo brain still. 

Knowing what`s happening helps don`t you think? 

At about 4 weeks off I took pregabalin for 10 days, it helped, it really did lessen the pain.  But I knew this wasn`t the way I wanted to go.  But now I`m wondering if I ought to have stayed on it?  IDK?

Anyway today after a peaceful night my hip area is squeezing, my neck has decided to join the party again and my face is pulling on the left side.  UGH!

How are you my friends ? 

I'm so sorry, @[ne...]. All the pain, stiffness, pulling, tension and what not... It's so exhausting 😞 Hope we'll succeed in the end!

As for night-time pains, i have them more or less nearly every night but they are mostly kind of background, sometimes quite a heavy one though.  A couple of days ago, i woke up and felt strange and then i realised there was NO pain at all...

It's difficult to say what exactly is wrong with our muscles but it's a common issue during w/d. I think 1) the muscle relaxant property of benzo is reversing up to minus; 2) benzo receptors of brain neurons are trying to work out how to calm down our hyperactive ns, perhaps, not always successfully. And on top of it, all biochemical processes in our brain are confused by CNS readjustment, which causes all sorts of various unpleasant sensations. Something like this. Once again i may be wrong somewhere) If you read Ashton or the explanation by Parker here on the forum you'll get a better picture.

Idk about pregabalin... Some people take it.

• Like 2

Oh dear!   I`ve just heard from a friend over on Facebook and she`s reinstated (again.)  She`s about 4 months off but was in a terrible state, she tapered so I think it must have been she`d kindled.    This has thrown me for a loop. She just messaged me and she`s pain free!!   What are your thoughts my friends, surely, we have to keep going?    I wish her the best of course but getting off and staying off is the only way to get our health back- right? 

A new year ahead, my pain has moved to my tailbone today, the flank pain is gone. I`m getting some weird face sensations, you`ve had those I believe @[...]?   I`m pulling funny faces to try and stop the weird pulling in my face.   Did yours sound like I`m describing and has your gone Kate?  

Hope you`re all doing ok, with the new year hopefully we`ll start dropping symptoms - thank you all for doing this together.   

12 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Oh dear!   I`ve just heard from a friend over on Facebook and she`s reinstated (again.)  She`s about 4 months off but was in a terrible state, she tapered so I think it must have been she`d kindled.    This has thrown me for a loop. She just messaged me and she`s pain free!!   What are your thoughts my friends, surely, we have to keep going?    I wish her the best of course but getting off and staying off is the only way to get our health back- right? 

A new year ahead, my pain has moved to my tailbone today, the flank pain is gone. I`m getting some weird face sensations, you`ve had those I believe @[...]?   I`m pulling funny faces to try and stop the weird pulling in my face.   Did yours sound like I`m describing and has your gone Kate?  

Hope you`re all doing ok, with the new year hopefully we`ll start dropping symptoms - thank you all for doing this together.   

@[ne...], Happy new Year! Let the year be free of pain and other nasty things! 

As for me, it's unambiguous we have to keep going. There is no other way. I think reinstatement is kind of postponing the sentence even if it helps at first. If we are patient enough, we will have "it all" in the end)

It's great your flank pain is gone even if for a while. Think it's a start)

Oh yes, i can relate to your face sensations but i think mine are mostly caused by muscle tension.

We are stronger together!) 💪

• Like 1

Happy new year to everyone! 🍀

For me too reinstate is no option. As bad as the nerve pain is today I will hold on as I am sure it’s the only way out. sigh 

we will be sooo happy when this torture is over!

Take good care 🍀

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

Happy new year to everyone! 🍀

For me too reinstate is no option. As bad as the nerve pain is today I will hold on as I am sure it’s the only way out. sigh 

we will be sooo happy when this torture is over!

Take good care 🍀

@[sh...], today isn't my good day either. The pain is everywhere like a heavy drilling background gripping parts of my body from time to time. And this is the first day of the year... But you know i've noticed things that begin in a nasty way tend to turn out to be good. Let's hope this is the case!)

@[...] and @[sh...]  You`re right, reinstating and eventually we`ll reach tolerance.  Also how can we be sure a Dr will decide to cut us off and we`re left in hell?   The evidence says we heal, we have no choice but to keep going and thank goodness we`ve found each other. 

Sorry you`re in such awful nerve pain today @[sh...],  and @[...]  I remembered you having the weird face pulling, it`s tension for me too. 

• Like 2