Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Muscles strained and sprained

[sh...]

@[sh...] I seem to have sprained something in an arm. I reached it over my head to stretch it and felt a crackle then shooting pain in the back of it. That sensation has come back 4-5 times since then and it makes me feel like my arm is weak. The onset was about 6 weeks ago. I am waiting to get any testing and just doing physical therapy. In your research posting about this, is this common? My one PT thinks it's due to the tightness and stiffness for months mixed with deconditioning. All I can do is heat/ice, manual therapy, and stretching/exercises. If I didn't have this I would try to drive again and start walking and moving more even though I am still very symptomatic. It feels like it has put me back on a healing timeline. Terrified to get an MRI or see an ortho. I would never in a million years get any procedures anyway and if something is really wrong I kind of don't want to know since I am still fighting through this. Any info you can share that you gathered would be so helpful. It feels like a "frozen shoulder." I hear these things can also be hormonal. It feels like more of a web to crawl out of. Another person told me they have heard of things like this happening in this process. Who knew?

8 hours ago, [[R...] said:

@[sh...] I seem to have sprained something in an arm. I reached it over my head to stretch it and felt a crackle then shooting pain in the back of it. That sensation has come back 4-5 times since then and it makes me feel like my arm is weak. The onset was about 6 weeks ago. I am waiting to get any testing and just doing physical therapy. In your research posting about this, is this common? My one PT thinks it's due to the tightness and stiffness for months mixed with deconditioning. All I can do is heat/ice, manual therapy, and stretching/exercises. If I didn't have this I would try to drive again and start walking and moving more even though I am still very symptomatic. It feels like it has put me back on a healing timeline. Terrified to get an MRI or see an ortho. I would never in a million years get any procedures anyway and if something is really wrong I kind of don't want to know since I am still fighting through this. Any info you can share that you gathered would be so helpful. It feels like a "frozen shoulder." I hear these things can also be hormonal. It feels like more of a web to crawl out of. Another person told me they have heard of things like this happening in this process. Who knew?

Hi Rebecca, I couldn’t explain my experiences better! What I have learned it is common. As your PT said it must be the tightness, cramps, spasms. Only by doing little movements like gently stretching it is too much for me. It also cracked several times in my right arm just lying in my bed 🥺frozen shoulder, yes I can’t move my arm up anymore. Although I have to say, and this gives some hope, it got a little bit better over the last few weeks. But the awful pain is still here. 

For you is it also one arm worse than the other?

Here a few helpful statements:

Possible muscular symptoms can include aches, convulsions, fatigue, jerks, pains, pulls, spasms, sprains, stiffness, tears, tics, tremors, twitches, and overall weakness.

Benzos are very effective muscle relaxants. By the time the drugs are removed from one’s system the muscles have been chemically relaxed for months or even years, and now they need to figure out how to behave in this new drug-free environment. The removal of a long-term muscle relaxant, in addition to damage to the nerves that signal the muscles, can create a painful cascade effect with some bizarre results.

While limited exercise is generally beneficial during BIND, caution needs to be maintained to avoid injury. -easinganxiety.com

1. Muscular (aches and pains, electric shocks, fatigue, sprains, pulls and tears, stiffness, tremors, twitches, jerks and tics, weakness, convulsions, paralysis, seizure,s)
  2. Nerve Sensations (altered sensations, hypersensitivity, numbness, paresthesia,  formication, skin rashes, itching, tingling, burning)
  3. By Jennifer Leigh 

There are many measures that will alleviate these symptoms, such as muscle stretching exercises as taught in most gyms, moderate exercise, hot baths, massage and general relaxation exercises. Such measures may give only temporary relief at first, but if practised regularly can speed the recovery of normal muscle tone - which will eventually occur spontaneously - by Ashton 

Withdrawal-induced dystonia and other involuntary movements are also reversible and, as the anecdotal evidence confirms, they will resolve when the healing process is complete.

by Baylissa Frederick

By what I was told and understood also these issues will go as soon as our brain is healed and doesn’t send wrong signals anymore. 

So let’s believe that our brain and nervous system does know what to do and will heal in the near future. And until then I wish you all much patience and acceptance 🍀

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

Hi Rebecca, I couldn’t explain my experiences better! What I have learned it is common. As your PT said it must be the tightness, cramps, spasms. Only by doing little movements like gently stretching it is too much for me. It also cracked several times in my right arm just lying in my bed 🥺frozen shoulder, yes I can’t move my arm up anymore. Although I have to say, and this gives some hope, it got a little bit better over the last few weeks. But the awful pain is still here. 

Possible muscular symptoms can include aches, convulsions, fatigue, jerks, pains, pulls, spasms, sprains, stiffness, tears, tics, tremors, twitches, and overall weakness.

Benzos are very effective muscle relaxants. By the time the drugs are removed from one’s system the muscles have been chemically relaxed for months or even years, and now they need to figure out how to behave in this new drug-free environment. The removal of a long-term muscle relaxant, in addition to damage to the nerves that signal the muscles, can create a painful cascade effect with some bizarre results.

While limited exercise is generally beneficial during BIND, caution needs to be maintained to avoid injury. -easinganxiety.com

1. Muscular (aches and pains, electric shocks, fatigue, sprains, pulls and tears, stiffness, tremors, twitches, jerks and tics, weakness, convulsions, paralysis, seizure,s)
  2. Nerve Sensations (altered sensations, hypersensitivity, numbness, paresthesia,  formication, skin rashes, itching, tingling, burning)
  3. By Jennifer Leigh 

There are many measures that will alleviate these symptoms, such as muscle stretching exercises as taught in most gyms, moderate exercise, hot baths, massage and general relaxation exercises. Such measures may give only temporary relief at first, but if practised regularly can speed the recovery of normal muscle tone - which will eventually occur spontaneously - by Ashton 

Withdrawal-induced dystonia and other involuntary movements are also reversible and, as the anecdotal evidence confirms, they will resolve when the healing process is complete.

by Baylissa Frederick

By what I was told and understood also these issues will go as soon as our brain is healed and doesn’t send wrong signals anymore. 

So let’s believe that our brain and nervous system does know what to do and will heal in the near future. And until then I wish you all much patience and acceptance 🍀

@[sh...]   Wow, thanks so much for posting this.  It certainly explains a lot of horrible muscle sensations we`re all going through.  

So grateful for your research 

6 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

@[sh...]   Wow, thanks so much for posting this.  It certainly explains a lot of horrible muscle sensations we`re all going through.  

So grateful for your research 

You are most welcome 🍀wish you a good day!

• Like 1

On 13/11/2023 at 11:50, [[n...] said:

Hi guys and Joshua, I`ve created group for us who suffer painful muscles.   The group is waiting to be approved, so hopefully it will be.   I have NO idea how to give you all a link to it,  sorry x

Where is this group?

On 16/12/2023 at 13:22, [[s...] said:

3. By Jennifer Leigh 

by Baylissa Frederick

@[sh...], thank you for the precious information! It's a bit easier to fight if we know what we are dealing with.

So does it mean the pain and other annoying sensations mostly have something to do with wrong signals by brain/ cns?

Edited by [...]

25 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

Your welcome kate! by what I understand and I am going through, yes mostly because of the wrong nerves signals. The nervous system is readjusting to being fully functional without the drug. And since withdrawal symptoms are due mainly to the down-regulation of our receptors, recovery is dependent on their repair. 

As hard as it is we need to trust that our nervous system knows what it is doing. The damage is temporary 🍀

@[sh...], once again, thank you a lot for the explanation!) I like to hope exactly this way. Sure our cns will eventually figure out how to manage itself on its own successfully)

• Like 2

A hard day here guys, the pain is in my side/flank area.  I`m pretty sure a Dr would say it`s a kidney stone but I know it`s not, I`ve had this pain before and it moved to another area.

That explanation above certainly helps @[sh...], thank you again. 

Yesterday was  6 months off, it`s still onward and hoping every day that this will all be a distant memory.  Christmas will soon be here, I`m not too sure I could do much about cooking or celebrating if I feel like I am today, but hopefully this strong wave will pass. 

That`s my update my friends, how are you all?    Hope this is finding you in a decent window

3 hours ago, [[n...] said:

A hard day here guys, the pain is in my side/flank area.  I`m pretty sure a Dr would say it`s a kidney stone but I know it`s not, I`ve had this pain before and it moved to another area.

That explanation above certainly helps @[sh...], thank you again. 

Yesterday was  6 months off, it`s still onward and hoping every day that this will all be a distant memory.  Christmas will soon be here, I`m not too sure I could do much about cooking or celebrating if I feel like I am today, but hopefully this strong wave will pass. 

That`s my update my friends, how are you all?    Hope this is finding you in a decent window

@[ne...], hold on! I also think the pain of yours is of a benzo withdrawal character. 6 months is a good while but, unfortunately, it's not enough to get free of pain and other sxs( Time will do the trik)

Today isn't my best day either( The pain and pressure, pressure and pain... Hope it will pass.

Good luck to you and us all to manage the ordeal!

Thanks guys for posting, it helps.    Although I wish none of us were having pain .......at all.   

Mine has moved from my flank to my hip today, wow that was a nasty one yesterday, this is a tiny bit better, hope you`re having a better day too, if only a tiny bit as well.

I meant to ask is everyone`s pain one sided?   Most of the muscles that are hurting are on my left side, I read somewhere that`s typical of benzo WD, that it can hit either our left or right side......weird??? 

Onward, we`re doing this together 

15 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Thanks guys for posting, it helps.    Although I wish none of us were having pain .......at all.   

Mine has moved from my flank to my hip today, wow that was a nasty one yesterday, this is a tiny bit better, hope you`re having a better day too, if only a tiny bit as well.

I meant to ask is everyone`s pain one sided?   Most of the muscles that are hurting are on my left side, I read somewhere that`s typical of benzo WD, that it can hit either our left or right side......weird??? 

Yes, me too I am sorry for everyone being in pain! and I am hoping it will ease up soon 🙏

Yes, weird, one sided. For me the right side is much worse… it is my right arm where I did have a wrist surgery 20 years ago.. apparently it very often goes to our weak spot!

🍀

40 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Yes my neck is mostly tighter on the left side.  Been 6 weeks now.  When does it ease up? ugh.  Tried therapeutic massage and not sure it helped.  Gonna try oil massage tomorrow with a more gentle approach.  Tried to golf and neck was very painful afterwards.  IS physical exercise ok?  Man this symptom sucks.

2 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Yes, me too I am sorry for everyone being in pain! and I am hoping it will ease up soon 🙏

Yes, weird, one sided. For me the right side is much worse… it is my right arm where I did have a wrist surgery 20 years ago.. apparently it very often goes to our weak spot!

🍀

I`ve read that it goes to our weak spots too @[sh...],  I believe the one sided pain is a sure way of knowing this is definitely WD.   I saw something on Facebook that it fades with time......hope so. 

1 hour ago, [[K...] said:

Yes my neck is mostly tighter on the left side.  Been 6 weeks now.  When does it ease up? ugh.  Tried therapeutic massage and not sure it helped.  Gonna try oil massage tomorrow with a more gentle approach.  Tried to golf and neck was very painful afterwards.  IS physical exercise ok?  Man this symptom sucks.

@[Kh...] There`s no way of knowing when it`s likely to ease up, my neck pain comes and goes now and I`m 6 months off.   But we`re all different, you could have relief much sooner.    IDK about exercise, I believe we have to be gentle with our bodies while waiting for the receptors to upregulate . But again everyone is different, you may benefit from it, only way is to try and see.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I`ve read that it goes to our weak spots too @[sh...],  I believe the one sided pain is a sure way of knowing this is definitely WD.   I saw something on Facebook that it fades with time......hope so. 

Yes, nevercantell, I believe that it will fade with time… 🍀

• Like 2

3 hours ago, [[n...] said:

@[ne...]I can't even imagine how happy we are going to be when all the pain and misery are gone... 🌤️

As for my pain, it's mostly everywhere. Some days it feels like a sticky excruciating blur around me( but, for ex, my right leg pulls and aches the way the left never does. I believe @[sh...] is right. It goes to our weakest spots. And it all must fade away eventually.

2 hours ago, [[K...] said:

@[Kh...], I think light exercises are welcome in our condition as well as gentle massage or, perhaps, a hot bath (if it has smth to do with muscles) but it all is a mild relief. The main healer is time but it will definitely help)