Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Muscles strained and sprained

[sh...]

Can muscles really get so tight that they get sprained and strained? will they resolve with time? When I try to do stretching it even gets worse!???

Can anyone relate or has someone overcome this? thanks 🍀

• Like 1

Hello @[sh...],

Once past the acute stage, many of my symptoms were physical. I had a lot of muscle pain, tightness as well as nerve burning. Benzos are such efficient muscle relaxers that it can take time for this issue to resolve. It took many months for me. This is despite doing gentle stretches cycling and using heat and ice. My symptoms just eased up slowly, but I had a very strong wave of physical symtoms right before my recovery. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, [[p...] said:

Hello @[sh...],

Once past the acute stage, many of my symptoms were physical. I had a lot of muscle pain, tightness as well as nerve burning. Benzos are such efficient muscle relaxers that it can take time for this issue to resolve. It took many months for me. This is despite doing gentle stretches cycling and using heat and ice. My symptoms just eased up slowly, but I had a very strong wave of physical symtoms right before my recovery. 

Hello pianogirl, thank you so much for your reply and your encouragement! Yes for me too I manly suffer from physical symptoms. Because of these insomnia and sometimes high anxiety but not as often as a few months ago. My mind is quite awake and would like to do so many things but very often I am too exhausted and in too much pain. Also very hypersensitiv to noise and still very jumpy. Yes I have heard that before that we can get very symptomatic right before recovery. I am so much hoping that’s what is happening at the moment. Sometimes I am thinking the pain is because more and more nerves are going to wake up and they just don’t know how to function and connect yet!???

So do you think although I am not able to do much to improve agility the muscles will heal and go back to build and work one day?

warm regards 🍀

• Like 2

Hello again @[sh...],

What you said is exactly what I perceived while in recovery. What I felt was the nerves waking up from being blunted by the medication. I liken it to a piece of electronic equipment. If all the wires are connected, the device works fine. But if even one wire if missing or wrongly placed, it doesn’t work. Our cns needs to connect all the parts in order to find balance. It will.

I personally think if we are able, we should move our bodies. Even if it’s just a short walk, it can help keep strength and mobility. Starting small and working up is a good idea, I did this with cycling. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, [[p...] said:

Hello again @[sh...],

What you said is exactly what I perceived while in recovery. What I felt was the nerves waking up from being blunted by the medication. I liken it to a piece of electronic equipment. If all the wires are connected, the device works fine. But if even one wire if missing or wrongly placed, it doesn’t work. Our cns needs to connect all the parts in order to find balance. It will.

I personally think if we are able, we should move our bodies. Even if it’s just a short walk, it can help keep strength and mobility. Starting small and working up is a good idea, I did this with cycling. 

Thank you for your reassuring words! 

I go for short walks when ever I can. I love being out in nature. What really is frustrating that one day I can go for a 20 min walk and the next I am couchebound again. It would be so nice just to expand a minute a day… the nonlinear nature the recovery process unfolds is the hardest thing…

🍀

• Like 3

Hi I'm having stiffness and pain in my leg and arm I had pinned after my accident and the soles of my feet are sore and my jaw and the muscles in my face are tight I had these symptoms prior to reducing clonazapam that's how I knew it was time to come off them just the symptoms are worse just now😥

@[sh...], how long have you been off benzo? I can say the same about my muscle symptoms. The muscle pain and tightness are torturing me. It all began when i started tapering and don't seem to ease up now although i'm 7 mnths off. The good thing for me is that my muscles seem to do it in turn. Some of them have relaxed.

My withdrawal is nonlinear too. One/two/up to 5 days i can be quite functional and enjoy life and then 1 day can be crossed out.

Thank you for sharing. It really encourages to know there are people experiencing similar symptoms. It means we are whitin the withdrawal pattern, everything is normal and so going to be ok)

Hi everyone, I am so sorry you too have to suffer! and thank you to assure me that the pain is due to withdrawal. I am always so scared that it could be an other disease… fibromyalgia or so!? Actually today it’s the nerves, burning, shooting, stinging … so the traveling and changing from muscles to nerves to bones must be a good sign! At the moment very intense at my right wrist where I had a surgery 20 years ago 😵‍💫

I am 31 months off but I am sure you can’t compare me to you as I was polydruged and kindled many times. 

One day we will be done with this and wilm be able to enjoy life again!!! I wish you all a swift healing 🍀

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

Hi everyone, I am so sorry you too have to suffer! and thank you to assure me that the pain is due to withdrawal. I am always so scared that it could be an other disease… fibromyalgia or so!? Actually today it’s the nerves, burning, shooting, stinging … so the traveling and changing from muscles to nerves to bones must be a good sign! At the moment very intense at my right wrist where I had a surgery 20 years ago 😵‍💫

I am 31 months off but I am sure you can’t compare me to you as I was polydruged and kindled many times. 

One day we will be done with this and wilm be able to enjoy life again!!! I wish you all a swift healing 🍀

Same here shamrock, I was polydrugged and kindled. This is my 2nd attempt to get off, my 1st was CT but more sensibly I tapered this time.  This pain is definitely due to withdrawal.  I have stinging nerve pain as well, I have never had stinging pain in my life before stopping these drugs.   Let`s hold each other up .......   

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

This is exactly what my muscles are like. Thank you for sharing, it helps to know we`re not alone. 

I`m almost 5 months off and hoping that the burning in my legs and feet may have gone, but my hip area is so tight and squeezing today.  Tomorrow somewhere else maybe in this pain, it`s all so unpredictable.   Do you have a stiff neck?   I`ve been having that every morning but by lunchtime it`s usually gone.  

@[ne...]My neck isn't just stiff but very painful because of  "mad" rigid muscles there. But it is really better than two mnths ago.

Legs, arms, hips, waist, temples, jaw  - everything is burning, aching, pulling etc, yes)) Luckily it happens in turn and i do feel it is slowing down, at least i hope)

It helps if i slowly stretch a tight muscle knot till it is painful, hold the pose for a bit and relax.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Same here shamrock, I was polydrugged and kindled. This is my 2nd attempt to get off, my 1st was CT but more sensibly I tapered this time.  This pain is definitely due to withdrawal.  I have stinging nerve pain as well, I have never had stinging pain in my life before stopping these drugs.   Let`s hold each other up .......   

Hi nevercantell, thank  you so much for your words! They mean so much to me! The doctors polydrugged and kindled me while in clinics. CT many times. Doctors just threw ever poison they could find at me and I was too weak to hold against… This happened over a period of two years 😓Before the whole nightmare started the only symptom I had from time to time was pain in my wrist. I am a cranialsacral therapist and have seen many people suffering but I have never ever seen such awful symptoms that we have to endure. Deep in my heart I do know that we will heal but still when the pain and therefore no sleep it’s so hard to keep faith. Fortunately I do have short windows, two weeks ago for a whole day ☺️ yes let’s hold each other up! we are strong! 🍀

• Like 1

@[sh...], this is one of my worst symtomps, tense muscles and stifness. Sometimes the pain is so strong that i need to take hot showers and use my warming pillow on some areas. Fortunately is coming in waves, i have some days without it, then it hits again. I am a short time user, i am off K for 4 months and currently tapering my sleeping pill (aprox 3.3 of V left).

From my experience, is getting better. Slowly but steady. Light exercise like walking or stretching helps.

Hang on, will improve in time! Wish you health and strength!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Hi I'm having stiffness and pain in my leg and arm I had pinned after my accident and the soles of my feet are sore and my jaw and the muscles in my face are tight I had these symptoms prior to reducing clonazapam that's how I knew it was time to come off them just the symptoms are worse just now😥

Hi mermaid, I am sorry for your suffering! I too have stiffness in my right arm. It’s so brave that we decided to come off the drugs and I am sure that’s the only way to get our life back and we will 🤩good healing 🍀

5 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

@[sh...], this is one of my worst symtomps, tense muscles and stifness. Sometimes the pain is so strong that i need to take hot showers and use my warming pillow on some areas. Fortunately is coming in waves, i have some days without it, then it hits again. I am a short time user, i am off K for 4 months and currently tapering my sleeping pill (aprox 3.3 of V left).

From my experience, is getting better. Slowly but steady. Light exercise like walking or stretching helps.

Hang on, will improve in time! Wish you health and strength!

Hi BlueLady, thank you for reaching out! yes fortunately it does wax and wane. But when it hits it is so severe .. for me hard to believe that there have been better days. I write it down so I can go back and read the truth 🤔

thanks for the good wishes! the same to you 🍀

Hello , I am new here … now 12 weeks withouten benzo’s ‘s and I recognize your symptoms …. Muscles stiff and heavy .. one  day better and then the other dag worse again . So difficult … I would like to have à benzo’s buddy ! 

5 hours ago, [[s...] said:

Hi Kate, I am sorry you too have to suffer from pain! I am glad that you are better than two months ago ☺️

I wish you good healing 🍀

Thanks, @[sh...]) It really helps to get sympathy from those who know what it is like.

Im mostly better because the pain and stiffness have transferred to new places, and it's a relief) I think it will go on till every single muscle of mine has been "squeezed out". Ok) - i'm ready. And now i do feel that it is exactly my muscles that caused the pain. Earlier i wasn't so sure, especially when it was somewhere inside, and was scared. 

Sure we will heal. How can it be otherwise?)

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 04:38, [[s...] said:

Can muscles really get so tight that they get sprained and strained? will they resolve with time? When I try to do stretching it even gets worse!???

Can anyone relate or has someone overcome this? thanks 🍀

Muscle pain and tension have always been some of my worst SXs. The focal point seems to be in my torso. I don't feel it too much below the waist or above the neck. I hope this will slowly dissipate and go away forever after I am finally off. It has been a part of me forever. I tolerate the feeling but I hate it nonetheless.

34 minutes ago, [[G...] said:

I'm wondering if it is not just the muscles but the fascia connecting everything in our body together? 

I am sure that the fascia plays a big role… it’s also fitted with millions of nerves. And the fascia does react to stress… and this combined with a lake of movement and sleep.. 

58 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

Muscle pain and tension have always been some of my worst SXs. The focal point seems to be in my torso. I don't feel it too much below the waist or above the neck. I hope this will slowly dissipate and go away forever after I am finally off. It has been a part of me forever. I tolerate the feeling but I hate it nonetheless.

Hi AntiBenzo, I deeply hope that will dissipate and go away as soon as possible! I wish you good healing 🍀

56 minutes ago, [[s...] said:

I am sure that the fascia plays a big role… it’s also fitted with millions of nerves. And the fascia does react to stress… and this combined with a lake of movement and sleep.. 

Oh dear, it is very tiring trying to work it all out. I guess all those nerves in the fascia are brimming with gaba receptors as well?