Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Klopin withdrawal - Ashton Protocol

[Re...]

I wouldn't say Clonezapam has helped my generalised anxiety very much at all.  I have managed to get down from 4mg of Clonezapam to to .875 mg always taking 3 doses a day. I stuck on 2mg for a while and then held on 1mg for a few weeks. My psychiatrist wanted me to go down 0.25 every week.  I have reduced this to 0.125mg a week.  This is still a higher percentage as you go down and certainly not the 10%.  Is there anyway I can work out the Ashton Protocol for the suggestion of switching to Diazepam for the dose I am currently on.  I am meant to be on another 0.125mg down to 0.75 tonight.  I can only find it for 1.5mg daily of Clonzapam.

I am also taking 150mg twice a day of Pregabalin, 15mg Mirtzapine, 120mg of Duloxetine.  Have also tried Sertraline and Venlafaxine to no avail.  

Thanks

Edited by [Re...]

Hello @[Re...] - Welcome to BenzoBuddies-

It's a shame your psychiatrist suggested such a rapid taper.  Is this something you can discuss with them?  You're right that your reductions are higher than what we typically suggest.  Now that you're getting down to a lower dose these cuts are likely to become even harder especially since you're doing a linear taper.   You may want to approach your psychiatrist to ask them to work with you collaboratively on tapering more slowly.  We often suggest printing out the following and asking your doctor to read it in front of you at your appointment. https://corxconsortium.org/wp-content/uploads/Benzo-Deprescribing.pdfhttps://corxconsortium.org/wp-content/uploads/Benzo-Deprescribing.pdf

Many of our members use a jeweler's scale to weigh doses.  It helps make more accurate cuts as you taper.  Here's an example:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TDNAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It would be helpful to know your reasons for wanting to switch from clonazepam to Valium.  Many members choose to taper from their original benzo rather than switching.  It can make more sense to switch to Valium if you're taking a short acting benzo but clonazepam is a longer acting benzo.  There are also pros and cons to switching from one benzo to another that need careful consideration as you make your decision.  We're here to support you no matter which way you want to proceed.

In case you decide to switch to diazepam and need help with the math, here's how you could adapt Ashton's protocol to your current dose. Clonazepam 0.875mg is equivalent to diazepam 17.5mg according to Ashton. The switch could be made in 3 weekly steps: 

1. clonazepam 0.625mg + diazepam  5mg

2. clonazepam 0.375mg + diazepam  10mg

3. clonazepam 0mg + diazepam  17.5mg

Edited by [ou...]

• 2 weeks later...

How would I reduce from 0.75mg of Clonzapam?  How long would this take?  I have decided to hold at this dose now until after Christmas as my anxiety is so high.  He has suggested I add quertipine to the cocktail I'm already taking.  He doesn't seem to think anybody he has dealt with have had withdrawals from benzo if they go slowly.  Does it matter I have held on this dose for a while - maybe 6 week before reducing further?  Nothing has worked for my anxiety in 2.5 years!  I wouldn't have minded if I had got any benefit from the benzo.  I can sleep well though I think thanks to the mirtazapine.  Thanks.

Hello @[Re...]-

We find the best taper is one guided by symptoms rather than strictly following a schedule.  There may be times you need reduce the size of cuts you make or need to slow down depending on how you respond to a reduction (cut).  The Ashton Manual says the average taper is 10 months.  But it varies by individual.  People are often surprised by how long tapering needs to be but it's the best way to avoid having severe withdrawal symptoms.

We typically suggest reducing your most recent dose by 5-10% every 14 days or longer to give your system time to adjust to the reduction.

You may want to use a scale like this one for greater accuracy: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012TDNAM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Do you think stopping for 6 weeks at 0.75mg is going to be detrimental.  Anxiety is very high and I don't want to get worse over Christmas. Thanks.

Hello @[Re...] - I don't believe holding at your current dose for 6 weeks will hurt your recovery.  It may allow extra time for your system to adjust to previous cuts.  I think you're wise not to push yourself - the holidays can be stressful as well as joyful.