Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Half my dose seems too strong now

[Sa...]

Hello. I’m currently tapering Klonopin. I took as prescribed 2 mg at bedtime for 30 years. I started my taper with my doctors help (only he didn’t think it was a big deal) had me cut .25 mg a week after the first three  weeks I knew it was too fast. I spoke to my doctor who said he did research and I needed to slow it way down. I started on July 27, 2023 I am now at 1 mg a night. The last couple weeks I take my 1 mg and within an hour I will fall asleep and not remember falling asleep. Why does it feel like I’m doubling my original dose? I don’t understand what’s going on. I know not to take it until I know I am not going to do anything else. Anyone else have this? 

Hello @[Sa...] and welcome to Benzo Buddies! 

Yes, the first taper plan you were advised to follow was far too aggressive. I’m glad you are going to slow it down.

I don’t know why you might be having excessive sleepiness after you dose. This did initially happen to me when I switched from clonazepam to Valium. Valium was extremely sedating for me, but it got better as I tapered.

What is you rate of reduction now? We generally recommend reducing no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days. Slow and steady is the way to go in terms of benzo withdrawal.

Did you have this sedated feeling while on 2 mg? I’m sure others will weigh in and offer their experiences. Withdrawal can bring on some strange and inexplicable symptoms.

We’re glad you are here. Keep posting, we’ll do our best to help and encourage you through this process.

pianogirl :smitten: