Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Question: Moving to One Daily Dose at Bed Time

[Kh...]

Greetings members hoping everyone is doing well - Goal is getting off all Benzos - Xanax was the benzo I abused

Currently my schedule as follows 

• Noon time dose -- .125mg Xanax + 2 mg Val
  • Bed time dose  --  5mg Valium

Been tapering Xanax and crossing to valium at a relatively quick clip with limited issues (so far).  About 4-5 weeks in and reduced Xanax by around 75% (from .5 to .125 daily) while increasing Valium to 7mg in total as a crossover buffer.  Seems like the valium is doing its job in reducing Xanax withdrawal symptoms.   

Once Xanax completely eliminated/replaced, considering moving to 1 valium dose at bed time only (around 6-8 mg depending) -- and continue valium taper from there.  Ashton guidance looks like if you get down to around 8-10 MG valium daily you can go to one dose at night.  Given the long half life of Valium thinking it will carry me for the 24 hour period between doses?  Obviously will monitor body and symptoms. 

Looking for member input based on knowledge and experience.  Many thanks.  Kit

Edited by [Kh...]

Hi @[Kh...]

I’ve been dosing twice per day whilst tapering valium from 10mg’s. It is my personal preference to continue this and it poses no issues tapering. 

Can I get thorough 24hrs dosing only the once? Yes!  

Got it....are u taking equivalent doses twice a day and tapering each one at same rate?   Valium in afternoon makes me sleepy :)

13 hours ago, [[W...] said:

Hi @[Kh...]

I’ve been dosing twice per day whilst tapering valium from 10mg’s. It is my personal preference to continue this and it poses no issues tapering. 

Can I get thorough 24hrs dosing only the once? Yes!  

Also with suppressing anxiety? Which was why I was put on a benzo at first. I am now crossing, but it is still building. I feel it building, but it has only been a couple of days

For me it seems I could get thru the entire day…but not ready….wanna taper day time dose to smaller amount and elim the Xanax portion before moving to one dose….skipped day time yesterday to see what would happen…mild intraday Sx like internal buzzing.  Also happened during sleep cuz I missed a portion of the daily drug allotment 

15 hours ago, [[H...] said:

Also with suppressing anxiety? Which was why I was put on a benzo at first. I am now crossing, but it is still building. I feel it building, but it has only been a couple of days

I think the effect will be much the same whether you dose once or twice daily. 

It may be easier for you to taper if you dose only once per day. I use a jewellers scale to taper my doses, but if you are tapering more in line with the Ashton Manual reductions (without a scale), dosing once per day is probably easiest. 

7 hours ago, [[W...] said:

I think the effect will be much the same whether you dose once or twice daily. 

It may be easier for you to taper if you dose only once per day. I use a jewellers scale to taper my doses, but if you are tapering more in line with the Ashton Manual reductions (without a scale), dosing once per day is probably easiest. 

Oh ok. Yes that sounds fine. Now I'm still doing 2 doses during the c/o, but when my daytime dose is zero only the PM dose will remain. That is also what I saw in the Ashton Manual. I think that looks like a good idea. But thanks for your input Wintersun.