Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Valium tapering help

[BU...]

Hi new here. IN 2015 I was put on 12mg of valium for horrible vertigo. I was diagnosed with chronic BPPV.  It controlled it but I did not like the way I felt on it. I ended up in PT rehab for 3 months and when I got released, I was still on the Valium and dizzy. I found a doctor to help me get lower on my dose. I got down to 2mg in 2018 without a lot of issues. I also have Sarcoidosis and POTS that they give me steroids daily for. I have had very little success getting down under 2mg. I cut to 1.5mg and I am overwhelmed with vertigo and withdrawal symptoms. I always end up in the hospital back on 2mg. I want off this drug because I am still dizzy everyday with it. I cannot do a water taper. I want to try and dry cut my 2mg pills daily. I take 1mg in the morning and 1mg at night. If I take and cut the 1mg in half would that be 25% of my daily dose I cut? They say to only cut 10%. How can I do that with a 2mg pill, and would I be better off cutting the morning dose or night? I am 71 years old and cannot see why I should stay on a med that is not fixing my problem. Will be happy to get some advice from you all. 

Hello @[BU...] - welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm sorry you've gone through such a rough time.  Congratulations on getting down to 2mg of Valium.  When people get down to lower doses it's often necessary to slow down with smaller cuts and/or longer holds between cuts.  I understand you're wanting to get off the drug but rushing it will only backfire.  The cut of .5mg was clearly too big a cut at 25%.  We do typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% of your most recent daily dose every 10-14 days or longer.  Are your pills 1mg or 2mg?  Members who dry cut often use a jeweler's scale to help with the accuracy of cuts.  Do you have a scale?  

• 4 weeks later...

Been in the hospital. I just got a scale. Going to start again Jan 1st. I was put on this stuff for vertigo. Lets see how bad it gets when I come off. My pills are 2mg. Valium does not make a 1mg I was told. 

Hi @[BU...] - I hope whatever brought you to the hospital has been taken care of.  

Let us know if you need help with a taper plan for starting in January.  

As you think ahead to your taper, one thing to keep in mind is that with a 2mg Valium tablet, 2mg is the weight of the active ingredient.  The tablet has filler and probably a coating so each tablet will weigh more than 2mg.  It's a good idea to get an average weight of a tablet.  You can do this by weighing 10 tablets and dividing the total by 10.  When you make a cut, for example a 10% cut, you will be removing 10% from the total weight of the tablet.  

I just went to my PCP yesterday and she is willing to help me so I feel good about that. She seems to think it could take a year to get off 2mg. Seems a bit long to me but that 2mg pill is hard to cut so getting the 10% will be tuff. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to Jan. I suspect alot of my issues they cant label are really tolerance from the valium. Ugh. I will definitely need help.