Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How to taper Etizolam + Diazepam + Clomipramine + Olanzapine?

[da...]

I am currently on:

- Clomipramine (TCA = tricyclic antidepressant) 40mg/day
- Olanzapine (atypical antipsychotic) 3mg/day
- Etizolam (benzo) .6mg/day
- Diazepam (Valium) 1.4mg/day

Can you suggest how to taper these? Can I do a multi-drug taper?

I was thinking of cutting Clomipramine + Olanzapine + Etizolam 2.5%/week either simultaneously or one after the other, something like,

PLAN A
------
Week 1: cut clomipramine by 2.5%. Hold others.
Week 2: cut olanzapine by 2.5%. Hold others.
Week 3: cut etizolam by 2.5%. Hold others.
Repeat

PLAN B
------
Week 1: Cut clomipramine by 2.5%. Cut olanzapine by 2.5%. Cut etizolam by 2.5%. Hold others.
Repeat

PLAN C
------
Month 1: Cut Clomipramine by 10%. Hold others.
Month 2: Cut olanzapine by 10%. Hold others.
Month 3: Cut etizolam by 10%. Hold others.

Which plan would you all suggest?

Thank you!

PS: My detailed thread: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/27136-dangerous7-tapering-amitriptyline-after-one-week

I was initially on Etizolam only but started developing tolerance and intra-dose withdrawal. So, I decided to do a Valium taper. Should I continue with the Valium taper and finish the taper of the benzo before tapering the antidepressant and the antipsychotic?

First I'd convert the remaining etizolam to diazepam. From what I could find .6mg of etizolam is equivalent to 6mg of diazepam but don't take my word for it. Neuroleptics act as breaks and you're already taking benzos so I'd taper olanzapine by itself next to minimize the chance of tardive dyskinesia. Now some people say leave the benzo for last but clomipramine is a sedating antidepressant so you could taper either one first or even try alternating between the two like you planned. Just don't cut both simultaneously because you won't know which caused any potential withdrawal symptoms.

Edited by [ou...]
  • Like 1

Hello @[ou...] and welcome to Benzo Buddies,

Thanks for offering advice to @[da...], you appear to have knowledge about these types of drugs.

Are you here for support and information concerning tapering off benzos?

pianogirl

Hi dangerous,

im glad you are looking to taper slowly.    I’m tapering off of two meds now, clonazepam and mirtazapine.   The challenge with multiple tapering at the same time is figuring out which ones are causing symptoms.    I would suggest tapering one med and see how you do (your plan c).   

I’m at a spot where I think I need to stop the mirtazapine taper and focus on the k since I’m getting pretty bad withdrawal symptoms and am not sure which drug is causing it.  

Best of success to you in your tapers.  God bless you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[p...] said:

Hello @[ou...] and welcome to Benzo Buddies,

Thanks for offering advice to @[da...], you appear to have knowledge about these types of drugs.

Are you here for support and information concerning tapering off benzos?

pianogirl

Hi pianogirl,

I was actually a member with the same username before the forum changed but I deleted my account around 2018 after getting off benzos. I recently found out some stuff regarding withdrawal that I wanted to share with the community and generally give back now that I'm able to. From what I remember there was an introduction section but I couldn't find it.

Edited by [ou...]
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, [[o...] said:

Hi pianogirl,

I was actually a member with the same username before the forum changed but I deleted my account around 2018 after getting off benzos. I recently found out some stuff regarding withdrawal that I wanted to share with the community and generally give back now that I'm able to. From what I remember there was an introduction section but I couldn't find it.

Welcome back then! It’s wonderful when members return to give back to the community that helped them through a challenging process. In fact, that’s why I’m still here after all these years. 

We decided not to have an Introductions Board, but rather have new members post in the forums that would best suit their needs. Take a look at all the forums, if you need help deciding where to post just let me know.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just thought of bumping my thread. Any guidance on how to taper my current meds. I am at:

Clomipramine: 31.4mg

Olanzapine: 2.2mg

Diazepam (Valium): 1.8mg

Etizolam (benzo): 0.4mg

Since Nov, I have done a mix of multi-drug taper + hold + valium cross taper. Currently, my symptoms are:

- depression, panicky feeling, inability to do things, hopelessness, crying, feeling distant from family members, no desire to meet anyone, fear, (A)BIND?, no desire to pick up the telephone - I just let it ring, can't see myself work a job (I used to be a programmer - laid off in Dec), got out of bed at 1pm today, difficulty passing time, difficulty filling up my day with activities, stopped calling my father who lives away, avoid going out of house, more sensitivity to the sun's glare outdoors, bathe like twice a week when my wife pesters me a lot, stopped praying to God, somehow fake normalcy when I accidentally meet someone, stopped getting appointments with my therapist/psychiatrist, feeling of meaninglessness when doing activities that I previously used to enjoy like learning some new stuff on the computer, weight gain. Emptying the dishwasher seems like a big chore (feel like crying when no one is looking). 

Which one should I taper first? How do I know if I have developed ABIND (Antidepressant and benzo induced neurological dysfunction)?

Edited by [da...]

Etizolam hell of drug i am from india took this with some clonazepam its hell it didn't fix me but made things even worse the worst decision i took going to a psychiatrist in 2020 4 years later i now have some clarity that anxiety is a part of human mechanism our problem is not a disorder we just think too much about it hold it inside while others when anxious the feel it for some moment and then leave that behind.

I'm 42 days out cold turkey because my psychiatrists are idiots every out there whom i met every other psych starts his own drug they are more like drug dealers who are here to make money f em all short term  prescription which leads to multiple appointments and takes a lot of money i did so many test since 2020 i literally went broke problem is you cannot get these without prescription and not available everywhere its like a taboo in india just like condoms pharmacists looked at me like i was junkie or doing something illegal even when i had a prescription for it. i dropped out of college because these drug made me do some really stupid stuff which lead me to the police station im still having the charge on my head and still fighting in court every month  ( i want to address that i was also doing my degree in IT programmer )... and few things i did at my home made me think that why im taking this evil drug i nearly stabbed my mom thank god it didn't go through my inner self stopped me to do so plus i lost nearly 120k dollars in crypto gambling when i was in this numb state which made my familys financial thing go down the hill

i began my treatment when i was 21 during covid and i regret it but whatever.... it is what it is  

well the terror i'm going through is beyond comprehension here are physical symptoms

high blood pressure sometimes reaching upto  175/125 140 bpm

head pressure turns into head ache when  i shake my head]

body pain which comes and goes 

stomach issues are like anxiety always with me 

my body keeps shaking 

dementia i tend to forget things 

severely under weight 48 kgs

and a lot of stuff 

but whatever it is ... I'm in a warzone and i know there's a way out so i will not be a slave to this drug imma fight..

there is healing from everything in this world find your way out taper or CT its your choice 

you are strong an average human cannot tolerate this drug the people in this community are the chosen ones

break the shackles and lead ..

Very important point benzo recovery is just like benzo withdrawal everyone experience differently you have to make a method which is your specific hit and trial if youre doing taper.

PS - please ignore my grammar its 1:30 am here and i'm watching netflix while typing this shid so the efficiency is low lol.. 

Edited by [KL...]
adding some point
  • Like 1

Hi dangerous,

I’m sorry you're having a very hard time and I wish you well. Getting laid off is so much to add onto your already overloaded body/mind. I hope you tap back into some of your resources.

I looked over your timeline, and you’ve run the gamut over the years! Your taper is well done. Even the cross over to Valium is moving along. You’re very well informed.  

You outlined 3 plans. Are you following one more than the others? Have you tried slowing your taper or holding?

You’re well into your taper.  Hang in there. Your body is recovering ❤️‍🩹 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
[da...]

I just thought of bumping my thread. Any guidance on how to taper my current meds. I am at:

Clomipramine: 27.7mg

Olanzapine: 1.6mg

Diazepam (Valium): 1.648mg

Etizolam (benzo): 0.351mg

Is there any one who successfully tapered a tricyclic antidepressant + benzo + antipsychotic?

I am currently doing a multi-drug taper. Thank you!

• Like 1