Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Questions need answering

[er...]

Can anyone tell me if I'm still in acute withdrawal almost 2 months from my last dose? I'm in a rehab that tapperd me in a course of 1 month and 2 weeks...I went from 2mg of clonopin to .25 in that time period... I used everyday for about 6 years.... I had some good windows but my symptoms seem to be intensifying more and more as the time goes on..  does someone have any advise for me???

8 hours ago, [[e...] said:

Can anyone tell me if I'm still in acute withdrawal almost 2 months from my last dose? I'm in a rehab that tapperd me in a course of 1 month and 2 weeks...I went from 2mg of clonopin to .25 in that time period... I used everyday for about 6 years.... I had some good windows but my symptoms seem to be intensifying more and more as the time goes on..  does someone have any advise for me???

Hi Eric. Right now you are as far as I’m concerned still in acute. Unfortunately it’s common and expected to feel so awful in that early stages of recovery. As well as even feeling worse than the month before. Your brain is fighting many things right now. The main one is trying to remain functioning without the medication. It learned from your 6 years of use to work around it. This learning was unnatural. Now it has to unlearn that….if that makes sense? Unfortunately, it’s NOT going to feel good and honestly it may not for awhile longer. What helped me during acute was to stay distracted, as calm as possible and avoid as much stress as possible while continuing to do what you can. If you can walk, go for one as you take in your surroundings slowly. Focusing on the trees one by one, the birds, grass, sky etc. All the while, breathing easy calming breaths. Meditation with nature sounds also helped me. Your symptoms are unpleasant but they’re a normal reaction to the circumstances. What I did was accept them. I let them know they’re a temporary guest although an unwanted one. I observed them but tried not to participate in them. For example, when I was afraid to go outside on the porch because of my balance boatiness issues, I challenged that fear with positives and disproved what the fear was. I’d go stick my head out the door and walk aaa couple of steps on the porch. When I got back in, I’d ask myself “ did you die? Did anything bad happen? Then immediately congratulate myself for doing it. Not long after that I’d go on the porch without even a second thought…5 minutes, then 10 etc. Next was the front yard and so on. Now I’m tackling driving / riding in the car. It’s hard but I’m working on it until it’s easy! Hang in there!

1 hour ago, [[L...] said:

Hi Eric. Right now you are as far as I’m concerned still in acute. Unfortunately it’s common and expected to feel so awful in that early stages of recovery. As well as even feeling worse than the month before. Your brain is fighting many things right now. The main one is trying to remain functioning without the medication. It learned from your 6 years of use to work around it. This learning was unnatural. Now it has to unlearn that….if that makes sense? Unfortunately, it’s NOT going to feel good and honestly it may not for awhile longer. What helped me during acute was to stay distracted, as calm as possible and avoid as much stress as possible while continuing to do what you can. If you can walk, go for one as you take in your surroundings slowly. Focusing on the trees one by one, the birds, grass, sky etc. All the while, breathing easy calming breaths. Meditation with nature sounds also helped me. Your symptoms are unpleasant but they’re a normal reaction to the circumstances. What I did was accept them. I let them know they’re a temporary guest although an unwanted one. I observed them but tried not to participate in them. For example, when I was afraid to go outside on the porch because of my balance boatiness issues, I challenged that fear with positives and disproved what the fear was. I’d go stick my head out the door and walk aaa couple of steps on the porch. When I got back in, I’d ask myself “ did you die? Did anything bad happen? Then immediately congratulate myself for doing it. Not long after that I’d go on the porch without even a second thought…5 minutes, then 10 etc. Next was the front yard and so on. Now I’m tackling driving / riding in the car. It’s hard but I’m working on it until it’s easy! Hang in there!

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond... I appreciate it so much... I get comfort in knowing I'm not alone in this and have people like your self giving me the advise I so desperately need right now...

9 hours ago, [[S...] said:

What are the symptoms you are experiencing?

I wish I knew how to put them in words but when I read other people's posts about their benzo withdrawal I pretty much relate to them... any where from a tingling feeling all over buzzing almost, to head tighten,tinnitus, dizziness, nausea, night sweats,tight chest feeling,the nonstop thinking something bad is happening to me..u name it I probably have it...

13 hours ago, [[e...] said:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond... I appreciate it so much... I get comfort in knowing I'm not alone in this and have people like your self giving me the advise I so desperately need right now...

You’re very welcome. Those of us who are down the road a bit have been where you are. It’s scary not understanding what is happening and all the unknowns. My hope was to assist in taking some of that fear and unknowns away so that you can direct your focus on maintaining your symptoms as best as you can. Because to be honest with you, right now and for a few months you’ll fair much better if you implement extra self care, coping tools (weighted blanket, soothing low volume music, puzzles/ games and any distractions that you find helps) and a clean diet especially avoiding caffeine, too much sugar, alcohol or preservatives. This is not to say that any of those would make you worse but they’re known to have caused many in this type of recovery  a problem. But if it does then later down the road they can be reintroduced. I remember when I first arrived when I was in acute, I was lovingly greeted and supported as I’m doing for you. That’s what this forum is all about. An understanding place with recovery being the center point. No one can tell you how long it will take for YOUR brain to return to homeostasis but believe in the process. That can be hard to do sometimes when it’s rough. That’s what is happening to you. Your healing has begun. You have to go through to get through. Happy healing to you!

2 hours ago, [[L...] said:

You’re very welcome. Those of us who are down the road a bit have been where you are. It’s scary not understanding what is happening and all the unknowns. My hope was to assist in taking some of that fear and unknowns away so that you can direct your focus on maintaining your symptoms as best as you can. Because to be honest with you, right now and for a few months you’ll fair much better if you implement extra self care, coping tools (weighted blanket, soothing low volume music, puzzles/ games and any distractions that you find helps) and a clean diet especially avoiding caffeine, too much sugar, alcohol or preservatives. This is not to say that any of those would make you worse but they’re known to have caused many in this type of recovery  a problem. But if it does then later down the road they can be reintroduced. I remember when I first arrived when I was in acute, I was lovingly greeted and supported as I’m doing for you. That’s what this forum is all about. An understanding place with recovery being the center point. No one can tell you how long it will take for YOUR brain to return to homeostasis but believe in the process. That can be hard to do sometimes when it’s rough. That’s what is happening to you. Your healing has begun. You have to go through to get through. Happy healing to you!

Thank you so much for your kind,comforting, reassuring words... it's greatly appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...

I’m at about 2 months and 2 weeks. 

Things are definitely worse right now then last month. I’m having a ton of physical symptoms. Muscle twitch all over my body randomly and then my calves are twitching 24/7. I feel achy all over, tremor through entire body, tired and seem to injure myself from doing nothing. (Woke up a couple mornings ago and my shoulder hurt and hasn’t gone away yet) As for cognitive I get brain fog to the point where it feels hard to think. I’m also getting waves of anxiety that make my physical symptoms worse. I constantly thinking this has to be a serious disease coming on not withdrawal symptoms.  

Hello @[er...] - I agree with @[La...] - you're sill in the early phase of withdrawal and it is likely to be the roughest part of this journey.  The most important factor in healing & recovery is time.  The brain and body need time to heal from the changes caused by benzos.  It takes more time than any of us want it to but healing is real and one day this will all be behind you.  Along with time, taking the best care of yourself you can will help support your healing. You'll get there.

Hello @[Th...] - welcome to BenzoBuddie- My second month was worse than the first month to.  It felt like my central nervous system suddenly woke up, realized 'no more benzos' and freaked out.  All the symptoms you mention are common in withdrawal.  It's incredible how many ways benzos affect the body and  that's why symptoms show up all over the place in withdrawal.  Fear and anxiety are the signature symptoms of benzo withdrawal.   Fear of serious illness is very common in withdrawal.  The fear center of the brain is scrambling to adjust post benzos and it's overreacting to every stimulus that comes at it. This obscures our ability to assess risk.  I found I had to remind myself a dozen times a day that the fear and anxiety weren't based in reality. You'll get through this.  I noticed you have your own thread - please be sure to reach out and post there to get the support you need.  We're glad you found us.

56 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Hello @[er...] - I agree with @[La...] - you're sill in the early phase of withdrawal and it is likely to be the roughest part of this journey.  The most important factor in healing & recovery is time.  The brain and body need time to heal from the changes caused by benzos.  It takes more time than any of us want it to but healing is real and one day this will all be behind you.  Along with time, taking the best care of yourself you can will help support your healing. You'll get there.

Hello @[Th...] - welcome to BenzoBuddie- My second month was worse than the first month to.  It felt like my central nervous system suddenly woke up, realized 'no more benzos' and freaked out.  All the symptoms you mention are common in withdrawal.  It's incredible how many ways benzos affect the body and  that's why symptoms show up all over the place in withdrawal.  Fear and anxiety are the signature symptoms of benzo withdrawal.   Fear of serious illness is very common in withdrawal.  The fear center of the brain is scrambling to adjust post benzos and it's overreacting to every stimulus that comes at it. This obscures our ability to assess risk.  I found I had to remind myself a dozen times a day that the fear and anxiety weren't based in reality. You'll get through this.  I noticed you have your own thread - please be sure to reach out and post there to get the support you need.  We're glad you found us.

Thanks for the reply. For me the mental side is tough but the physical symptoms are worse. Which is very frustrating. Went from being an athlete to feeling like I can barely do anything. 

On 17/11/2023 at 21:51, [[T...] said:

Thanks for the reply. For me the mental side is tough but the physical symptoms are worse. Which is very frustrating. Went from being an athlete to feeling like I can barely do anything. 

Trust me…I’ve been there! I understand how you feel. But I’m telling you to please hang on to hope because I’m a living witness that time is your best friend in this. The days, weeks and months pile up. Then there’s shifts and turns. Ups and downs which will seem as if your progress is undone, etc. Not so! Crazy as it is, it’s all part of the way this heals. It’s not linear. For most it’s tiny little improvements in a slowly gradual fashion that at first you don’t even notice. Then they add up and it’s obvious. The best thing I did for myself was acceptance, distractions and looking to the Heavenly Father.