Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help with tapering clonazapam

[Ke...]

Hi everybody, 

I'm new here and just posted last week about going into inpatient detox for getting off of my last 0.5 mg of clonazapam. I was prescribed it 20 years ago for anxiety and insomnia. I'm wondering how other people weaned successfully? I'm now on too much Gabapentin to combat insomnia but my dose for Gabapentin is too much. I feel like I'm shedding too much hair as well. I've decided not to go into detox after talking with my family and psychiatrist because it will only compound my anxiety and insomnia. So now I'm in this myself.. I've tapered over the summer from 1mg to 0.5mg.. it was a difficult journey to say the least and a lot of anxiety . I was told to take Gabapentin to reduce clonazapam... now im stuck trying to wean off of the 2 meds. I'm committed to this journey at this point.  I don't know if there is a healthier med to help wean off the 2, to get to lower doses?  Any support or helpful information would be appreciated!

We suggest reducing one medication at a time, its too difficult to know what is causing what.  So first things first, which medication do you feel is causing you the most problems right now?  

As for medications to help, there aren’t really any that work for everyone, what seems to help one person will harm another and as you know from experience, any medication we add can cause more issues and then we have to taper off of them as well.

I feel like I'm taking too much Gabapentin to sleep. I feel like if I can't improve my sleep.. it's hard to wean myself off of the real problem, which is clonazapam. I'm exploring all options for treatment to get to a healthier place. This has been a really difficult journey. 

It’s a miserable experience for sure, but it sounds like you’re troubled by the amount of Gabapentin you’re currently taking, and you’re right, no amount of any drug will take away our pain or our insomnia, I’m sorry you were led to believe it could. 

Maybe it would help you to reduce the Gabapentin a bit, allow yourself to get stable, then begin the Clonazepam taper with some of the Gabapentin still on board.