Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Have I reduced by too much too soon?

[tc...]

Hello everyone,

Some advice if you could be so kind.

I have been taking 20mg, sometimes upto 40mg of diazepam for 2years consistently, every night before bed. It was prescribed to me initially as a treatment for insomnia while I was caring for a family member. I increased the dosage and before I know it I was dependent. I also live in Asia, where I can get it over the counter.

I've decided that I need to come off it, it's imperative that I do because the diazepam has also promoted sleep apnea.

I reduced my dosage to 5mg instantly. I'm now about 14 days into this dosage.

Side effects

Insomnia, 2 or 3 hours poor quality sleep, waking up with my brain in 5th gear. This is really stopping me function at work.

Pins and needles in my arms and hands

Constipation

Anxiety of not wanting to be around groups.

Decreased appetite.

My question is this. After reading about the Ashton manual should I go back to the beginning and beginslow tapering? Or because I've done 14 days already with a severe cut in dosage should I try to soldier on and taper off from 5mg according to the Ashton manual.

I could cope at this rate if I knew it would get better in a few weeks. Or am I doing more damage and I should revert to an upped dosage?

Any advice or help is really appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by [tc...]

Hi @[tc...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

We’re glad you found your way here. 

You’ve dropped your dosage by a very large amount, however, as long as your symptoms are manageable and you can remain relatively functional in your daily life, I think if I were you, I would just hold on that 5mg dose until you feel your symptoms have eased and stabilised enough to begin a slower taper (smaller reductions of between 0.5 to 1mg every 10 - 14 days, or reduce as your symptoms allow. 

The fact that you are 14 days out from that massive drop in dose and come across very clearly (although symptomatic) in your introductory post, says to me that you have (to this point) tolerated that large reduction considerably better than many of our members would have, so it may be well worth you continuing on with that 5mg dose and seeing how you progress. Just be watchful of any increase in symptoms, and if they become overwhelming, please let us know. 

Again, my initial feeling is that you have tolerated that reduction quite well, all things considered, but, you may or may not be out of the woods just yet, as far as withdrawal goes from such a large reduction, so, as I said… be watchful, and keep us informed. 

We have a supportive community here providing feedback to each other, so if you have any concerns or questions about symptoms, please feel free to start a thread on the Benzodiazepine Withdrawal, Use & Recovery Board. 

Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I appreciate that.

I'll stick with it for a bit longer in the hope that the symptoms alleviate a bit 🫣😍