Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can't leave the house.

[Bu...]

I've talked about this before, so thanks for bearing with me. I've only left the house several times in the past, 1 1/2. I think that was too much! I have to do things now and I'm very upset about it. Any strategies? Thanks

@[Bu...], I suggest taking baby steps. I never had agoraphobia or anxiety until I was put on benzos, hitting tolerance, followed by withdrawal. I was always totally independent. It was a shock and quite discouraging to lose this. I took baby steps to help my very small world grow. I walked to the mailbox, walked around the yard. I drove a very short distance around the neighborhood. I avoided traffic lights for a long time. Once I could drive a little farther, I ventured to the grocery store, only getting enough for one bag and using the self check out. Gradually I was able to do more. One day when I got in the car I felt ‘normal’, no worries or weighing the risks and benefits of an activity. That day I went down every aisle of the store just to celebrate.

Pat yourself on the back when you go out of your comfort zone. Award yourself for trying, even if you fail. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@[Bu...] I sure agree with Pianogirl. I had driving agoraphobia (weird, no?) and had to make driving safe for myself again. I decided to do this and formulated a plan. First, I walked to the garage. Next day I opened the door. Next day I sat in my car. Then I backed it out of the driveway . . . and so on until I was able to drive 3 miles on quiet country roads to the PO. Then I tackled our small town's traffic. Next, I drove over a bridge . . . and so on until I felt more or less comfortable again. Then I drove to the next town (15 miles over the bridge . . . eek!). I, too, had trouble with traffic lights. But I got my mojo back gradually. I was damned if I was going to let benzos rob me of driving. So, yes, teeny tiny baby steps. Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I agree, it is not willpower. I haven't left the house and garden for 8 months apart from 3 short walks around the park opposite. Physical symptoms are still too difficult. A sort of strange spacial awareness, probably because muscles are still so tight especially in the head and the vestibular system, the key to it all I suspect. 

If I really had to do something out there I would enlist the help of a neighbour to drive and just be around to act as an anchor, the closest person to home. I think dark glasses will probably help so things are not too bright, possible even try ear plugs to keep the noises down. I know people talk about exposure therapy but I think it is more to do with the nervous system still being too raw so I do not look at this as true agoraphobia. I'm not scared of anything out there, it is a case of it all just being too much stimulation on the senses while they recover.

Edited by Guest

I did not drive a car for almost two years. And then still I've driven less than 20km in the last two years. Recently I drove to the supermarket and back.. wow

I've been housebound for the most part also because of the immense anxiety and now withdrawal. But I do walk, although not more than 5km a day. And those are the good days. 

three years ago I cycled 11 hours a week and did 3 hours of weightlifting a week. I was so fit I could have joined the foreign legion.

But just take small steps I guess. I'm sure that when I'm fully crossed over to V I will feel a lot more stable and will work out again and gain every bit of strength I had. 

And you can do that as well. Just think of the astronauts that have been in space for a couple of years. When they finally land, their bones are so brittle, their muscles have atrophied so much, they can't even walk anymore. But with small steps they are back within 6 months. 

Edited by [Hu...]
  • Like 1

Yes I think if you can fix this by taking baby steps and gradually increasing your activity, i.e. exposure therapy, then it's not true withdrawal.  

Today I felt a bit better so went to the supermarket; it was not a good experience. 4 weeks ago I had a better window and walked in and out of the supermarket no problem.  

today's excursion only ended up causing me more pain and anguish, confronted with the reality that I still cannot do simple things.  

no point pushing anything.  it's nothing like normal life problems.  It is so frustrating I get in a rage.  

• Like 1

Thanks, you guys! It's obvious we all suffer from the same crappy effects from wd. I used to be such a strong woman . Now, i don't even know who I am: I have no confidence whatsoever and I'm very scared but also very angry.

• Like 1

Hi. Thought id chime in.

I had agoraphobia for the first 3yrs off benzos. It went away. Slowly. And no I didnt "work myself up to it". It just happenned. I went out in my windows and felt fine. But in a wave would be HORROR. Panic attacks constantly. Need to leave etc. It was hell. I know it well.

Im now 6years off. Time flies.

Well im in a setback from taking pepcid and now have agoraphobia again. Its INDUCED. Because im not a socially anxious person. Infact 2 days before my setback i drove 4 HOURS by myself on major highways and cities pumping music in the car loving it.

Now i cant even get in the car. I panic. Freak the hell out and want to call an ambulance. Yes its that extreme.

In terms of "small steps". I dont believe this to be true. When you have a window of normality, go.out and you will see all the fear is gone. Its very bizzare indeed. So Im not buying into this whole baby steps to go back outside. I am living proof of this.

Edited by [bw...]
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

In terms of "small steps". I dont believe this to be true. When you have a window of normality, go.out and you will see all the fear is gone. Its very bizzare indeed. So Im not buying into this whole baby steps to go back outside. I am living proof of this.

I definitely understand you that you shouldn't push yourself and then everything will be fine. It's not like overcoming a phobia. But what I mean is, when you are ready for it take small steps. I could go to a very crowded mall today with 10k people in it, but I would know that my nerves would be so overwhelmed by it that I would cry for three hours when I would be home again. So I don't do those things. I don't like crowds anyway. I worked at a European version of Best buy's during my twenties. I could never do that again. All the noise, lights, people.

• Like 1