Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Ambien or Trazadone ?

[Mo...]

I’ve been experiencing horrible insomnia. Only sleeping a few hours every night. I think it is ramping up my daytime anxiety. Has anyone benefited or felt Ambien hindered their healing?

continued prayers for relief :( 

Edited by [Mo...]

Hello @[Mo...],

Ambien is very similar to a benzo, in fact dependency can develop just the same as benzos. We’ve had many people here tapering from that drug. One of our administrators, @[Pa...] will tell you that her use of ambien after stopping her benzo did delay her recovery.

@[Mo...], for me, Ambien helped me through the last few months of my taper with sleep, but it stopped working after 3 months. I had to increase my dose at that point and that’s when the drug started having adverse effects. Ambien caused great anxiety, dark thoughts, extreme social anxiety, and inner trembling. The sleep I got with Ambien was not restorative and I was so exhausted. After 6 months, I decided to do a rapid taper off that evil drug. Insomnia came back immediately. No real withdrawal symptoms that lasted long. My sleep slowly improved over the next few weeks, but it’s still a struggle. Ambien is good for short periods only (7-10 days). It’s not intended for long term use.  Best wishes to you and I hope your sleep gets better!

Edited by [El...]

Trazadone has helped me some with sleep. It got me out of a rough bout of insomnia about a month of zero perceived sleep. I will take it the remainder of my taper but it is now one more med I will need to taper at some point. I guess I will cross that bridge when it comes. 

I believe I’ve read some have had success with Benadryl for sleep and other hydroxizine. Best of luck to you!

2 hours ago, [[E...] said:

Ambien caused great anxiety, dark thoughts, extreme social anxiety, and inner trembling. The sleep I got with Ambien was not restorative and I was so exhausted. After 6 months, I decided to do a rapid taper off that evil drug. Insomnia came back immediately. No real withdrawal symptoms that lasted long.

Yep, this was my experience, I hope you’ll avoid taking it @[Mo...].