Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Zopiclone reduction help needed

[...]

I have been taking zopiclone for two years and last year I was taking 30-40 tablets a day.i managed to get down to 20 a day. I managed to have 18 yesterday and trying to stick to 18 today then drop one tablet every week.i am terrified of the withdrawals as I had to go 5 days without them as I didn't have the money to buy them. I have been informed that using diazepam can help with the reduction of zopiclone. Is that true?does anybody know ? I have lost so much and so many people and now have no friends only have my foster sister that just tolerates me and just live on my own with my dog. I am so tempted to just put them down the toilet and go through the withdrawals but I read that it can result in seizures,coma then death if just stopping zopiclone.please can anyone help me ? My doctor has refused to do a reduction plan.i am working with drug and alcohol councillor but all they can do is talk to me they don't do any kind of prescribing reduction for zopiclone. They have said that if I can get down to 7 a day I can be sent to Leeds for 10 days residential detox. I am trying so so hard but everytime I reduce then get money I increase the dose again. Surely I can't be the only person that has a zopiclone addiction??

Edited by [...]

Hi @[...] Welcome to BB. We're glad you're here - you've found the right place. 

I am not familiar with Zipiclone - I've not personally taken it however there are many in our community who are familiar with this medication, who have tapered and can speak to their experience in more detail. I will try to enlist some feedback from the moderators and see if someone can stop by and reply. 

To respond to a couple of your other points:

Diazapam is used to help crossover - and taper off of other benzos. Whille Zipiclone is NOT a benzo, it's possible Diazapam could be used to crossover and taper down from. I cannot speak to this in detail but again will try to have someone stop by this post. 

PLEASE do not flush your meds. (I know its tempting); but we want to avoid a crisis situation.

A couple questions so we can better help you:

-What is your prescribed dose? (If different from what you take- what is the dose you're supposed to be taking daily?) Please itemize the doze and quantity you're prescribed. 

-Do you have a prescribing physician who understands your situation? (It's OK if you don't. We are not here to judge!)

-Have you ever not taken your Zipiclone - and if so, what have the symptoms been?

Let's start there. You've reached out - that's a start. Next step is to get you a plan so you can start working the plan, if that's what you want. Standby - I'll send someone to share some ideas/advice..More to follow.

Hi @[...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

If you could provide answers to @[ia...]’s questions, that would be helpful. 

I think you should keep it simple at this point and just trust that we will work through further steps as we get to them.

1) Hold your dose steady for now… the same dose, same times daily.

2) You need to seek out a Z-Drug, Benzo wise medical practitioner to provide you with ongoing prescriptions to get you through the duration of a ‘sensible’ taper. 

3) In approaching such a practitioner, be completely open and honest about your current situation. You may have to contact a few to find the right one.

Which country and area do you currently reside? 

There may be another member in your vicinity who can point you in the right direction…