Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How to do microtapering with drops?

[Da...]

Hi, 

I'm currently at 0.2 mg of Clonazepam, I started at 1.0 mg last May and I tried to do a tapering but it was too quick and I needed to go back to .5mg. I've been reducing 0.1mg every two weeks since then but I needed to stay at 0.2 mg for more than a month because my mom passed and Dr said stopped the withdrawal until I feel better. Four days ago I cut another 0.1 mg and I've been awful since yesterday, anxiety came back, migraine, nausea, etc. I'm trying to stabilize my system again to work towards this stage and be able to keep tapering. Dr said, I should come back to the 0.2 mg and see if I can feel better and stay there for a couple more weeks and then start the tapering but slowly this time. 

I've been taking pills and also drops, but I don't have idea how to do the microtapering when you have liquid (1 drop= 0.1 mg) or when you have pills of 2 mg. For example, how can I do 0.18 mg with the drops or with the pills? 

Can you help me?

Thank you

D

Hi @[Da...]

I don’t have much experience with liquid, but I know someone who does, so, I will reach out and see if they can provide you with some assistance.

I can’t guarantee when you will receive a reply, but, you will receive a reply as soon as possible. 

Hello, @[Da...].  Welcome to BenzoBuddies. @[Wi...] asked me to stop by.

Am I understanding correctly that you are using the 2.5mg/mL Rivotril oral solution manufactured by Roche and wish to microtaper?

We have members who have diluted this oral solution to achieve a lower concentration (e.g. 0.01mg/mL or 10 micrograms/mL).  Would you be interested in learning more about this?

If so, what monthly taper rate do you wish to try?  (Given your tapering history and current dose, you might want to consider trialing a ‘slow’ rate of 5% or less per month).

What is your current daily dosing schedule?  That is, how many milligrams of drug to you ingest at what times?

It would also be helpful for us to know if you are taking any other medications or supplements at this time.

Hello @[Li...],

Thank you for your answer. 

Yes, I'm using the 2.5mg/mL Rivotril oral solution manufactured by Roche and wish to microtape.

I went from 0.5 mg twice per day to 0.2 mg once a day, in 5 months. Usually, I take it at 8 a.m.

I'm struggling with this last part of the withdrawal because of some extra stress related to a family situation.

I'd love to learn more about how can I taper 10% per month. Currently, I'm taking 2 drops (that in my understanding is 0.08 mL or 0.2 mg) of the medication diluted in 50 mL of water.

I'm not taking any other medication or supplements at this time. 

I hope you can help me.

Thank you,

Daniela

Thank you for the confirm and additional information, @[Da...].  That’s good news you are not taking any other medications or supplements at this time.

If you are adding 2 drops of the Rivotril to 50mL of water and drinking all 50mL, you are indeed ingesting 0.2mg of drug.

If you wish to decrease your dose by 10% a month, you would reduce the amount of liquid you consume by 5mL over that time (10% of 50mL = 5mL).

There are multiple ways you could achieve this, depending on the reduction interval you wish to use.  For example:

You could ingest 1mL less of the liquid for 5 days and then hold your dose constant at 45mL for the rest of the month.

Or you could ingest 1.25mL less of the liquid each week for a month (1.25mL x 4 = 5mL).

Or you could ingest 0.17mL less of the liquid each day for 30days (5 mL / 30 = 0.1666…; 0.17 x 30 = 5.1mL)

Assuming you tolerated the 10% reduction, at the end of Month 1, you would be ingesting 45mL (or 44.9mL in the case of the third reduction interval example above).

If you decided to taper exponentially (and I would encourage you to consider this  -  to learn more, read my post linked below), you would reduce the amount of liquid you consume by 4.5mL (10% of 45mL = 4.5mL) over the next 30 days.

https://benzobuddies.org/topic/273125-hyperbolic-taper/?do=findComment&comment=3467472

Edited by [Li...]
  • Like 1

Thank you very much @[Li...] for taking the time to explain this method. This information has been helping me to understand more about the taper process, a lot of things make sense now. 

Cheers, 

D

• Like 1

On 04/11/2023 at 22:23, [[L...] said:

Thank you for the confirm and additional information, @[Da...].  That’s good news you are not taking any other medications or supplements at this time.

If you are adding 2 drops of the Rivotril to 50mL of water and drinking all 50mL, you are indeed ingesting 0.2mg of drug.

If you wish to decrease your dose by 10% a month, you would reduce the amount of liquid you consume by 5mL over that time (10% of 50mL = 5mL).

There are multiple ways you could achieve this, depending on the reduction interval you wish to use.  For example:

You could ingest 1mL less of the liquid for 5 days and then hold your dose constant at 45mL for the rest of the month.

Or you could ingest 1.25mL less of the liquid each week for a month (1.25mL x 4 = 5mL).

Or you could ingest 0.17mL less of the liquid each day for 30days (5 mL / 30 = 0.1666…; 0.17 x 30 = 5.1mL)

Assuming you tolerated the 10% reduction, at the end of Month 1, you would be ingesting 45mL (or 44.9mL in the case of the third reduction interval example above).

If you decided to taper exponentially (and I would encourage you to consider this  -  to learn more, read my post linked below), you would reduce the amount of liquid you consume by 4.5mL (10% of 45mL = 4.5mL) over the next 30 days.

https://benzobuddies.org/topic/273125-hyperbolic-taper/?do=findComment&comment=3467472

Hello 👋 

I m taking  clonazepam three drops 2.5mg at bed time I want to taper my dose. But I can't handle one drop reduction kindly suggest me how to divide a single drop of clonazepam in 50% ....I take it in glass of water kindly help me