Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

New here, started tapering a month ago. Looking for advice.

[Ne...]

My first post, I have been taking ambien since 1998 (I know, that is a long time).  Starting in 2016 or so I started taking Xanax 1mg as well for insomnia.  Things seemed fine, my Xanax dose gradually went up to 2 to 3mg per night, but I noticed that 4 or 5 months ago I started to get anxiety.  I never equated the anxiety to the medication.   About 2 months ago, my doctor wanted me to stop the Ambien.  At the same time, I was running low on Xanax and had some Valium on hand.  I was substituting the Valium for the Xanax.  My anxiety got worse and worse.  Then about 5 weeks ago, I felt so bad that I asked my wife to take me to the ER.   The ER saw I was on Benzos from my test results, but didn't say much.  He diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder.  I bought some books on overcoming anxiety, downloaded apps, meditations, etc.  I followed up with my general doctor and he wanted to prescribe me antidepressants and bupar.  I started the antidepressants, but didn't like how they made me feel so I stopped.  While listening to a podcast on anxiety, something clicked.  My anxiety was caused by the Xanax.  I immediately made an appointment with a treatment center.  They were NOT HELPFUL at all.  After going through my history, they said, "We can't help you".  I was floored!  So I have done my own tapering over the past month.  I started with 15mg Ambien and 2 to 3mg Xanax.  Now I take slightly less than 10mg Ambien and 7 to 8my Valium. I am not taking any Xanax at all!  I have been feeling pretty good, but had a bit more anxiety today and yesterday.  My question is, am I tapering too quickly?  I have basically dropped the benzo equivalent dose by about 75% within a month.  I am so motivated to get off of all of this poison, but know that tapering too fast is not good.  Looking for advice.

HI @[Ne...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Were glad you found your way here.

congratulations on putting the puzzle together and tapering down to your current doses. 

It’s probably very wise to be more cautious with your taper from here, as the taper can become more difficult the lower you go. To mitigate this to a degree, slowing down and making smaller reductions is usually the right coarse of action. 

Generally, a 5-10% reduction from your current dose every 10 - 14 days is recommended, or follow a symptoms based taper, reducing again only once symptoms have eased to a baseline level. 

You’ve tapered very fast over this past month, and because it can take time to experience the full brunt of those reductions, it may be worth just holding your doses where they are for a week or so, just to make sure you don’t get slammed by symptoms all of a sudden because too many reductions in quick succession. 

You may taper off reasonably quickly without too much trouble (faster than the 5-10%), but it still may pay to be somewhat cautious. 

You might think about reducing the Valium by 1mg at your next cut (when you’re ready), just to see how that goes. As you get lower, you may be able to continue tapering at 1mg, or you may have to eventually reduce by only 0.5mg’s at a time. Let your symptoms be your guide. 

It is not recommended to taper two medications at once, and, although you seem to have fared quite well so far, continuing to taper both medications at once may become increasingly problematic, potentially making the taper considerably more difficult/symptomatic than necessary. 

Just be cautious from here on… 

8 hours ago, [[N...] said:

My first post, I have been taking ambien since 1998 (I know, that is a long time).  Starting in 2016 or so I started taking Xanax 1mg as well for insomnia.  Things seemed fine, my Xanax dose gradually went up to 2 to 3mg per night, but I noticed that 4 or 5 months ago I started to get anxiety.  I never equated the anxiety to the medication.   About 2 months ago, my doctor wanted me to stop the Ambien.  At the same time, I was running low on Xanax and had some Valium on hand.  I was substituting the Valium for the Xanax.  My anxiety got worse and worse.  Then about 5 weeks ago, I felt so bad that I asked my wife to take me to the ER.   The ER saw I was on Benzos from my test results, but didn't say much.  He diagnosed me with generalized anxiety disorder.  I bought some books on overcoming anxiety, downloaded apps, meditations, etc.  I followed up with my general doctor and he wanted to prescribe me antidepressants and bupar.  I started the antidepressants, but didn't like how they made me feel so I stopped.  While listening to a podcast on anxiety, something clicked.  My anxiety was caused by the Xanax.  I immediately made an appointment with a treatment center.  They were NOT HELPFUL at all.  After going through my history, they said, "We can't help you".  I was floored!  So I have done my own tapering over the past month.  I started with 15mg Ambien and 2 to 3mg Xanax.  Now I take slightly less than 10mg Ambien and 7 to 8my Valium. I am not taking any Xanax at all!  I have been feeling pretty good, but had a bit more anxiety today and yesterday.  My question is, am I tapering too quickly?  I have basically dropped the benzo equivalent dose by about 75% within a month.  I am so motivated to get off of all of this poison, but know that tapering too fast is not good.  Looking for advice.

Hello NewBoris keep us posted.  How are u feeling?  Gotta do what your body can handle within reason.  Use Ashton as a guide.    My story is in progress and meant to provide some kind of positive guidance and hope -- but I am right in the middle of it all as well.   I have cut quicker than most  - understanding we are all different.

I started tapering Xanax from around 1+ MG daily not that long ago.  (not sure the true starting point (how many MG) as I was binging for 3 months during a low moment in life.) I had previously used a low dose (.5mg at bed time) for many years but it somehow got out of hand.  Perhaps the binging of  Xanax and using Ambien together was part of it?    

I just decided to cut and hold steady at .5mg per the day once I realized I had a problem  -- The same way u realized it was the withdrawal causing the anxiety....

Started at .25mg Xanax 2X daily (Morning and late afternoon) - must have been around 50% cut I am guessing  -  I also added around 5 MG Valium at bed time  -  kind of crossover strategy - loosely based on Ashton manual.  Seemed to feel OK.  I was able to steady at .5mg (.25 2x daily) and 5-7 MG Valium at bed time for a full 10 days.   Went cold turkey on Ambien.  5 mg per night.  Valium helps with the sleeping for sure.   No reportable issues to speak - except some back aches, aural fullness, tinnitus.  Usual stuff I am told.  Not unbearable.

Then I cut to .25mg Xanax ONCE daily (at noon) -  and steadied at 7 MG Valium at bed time.  Managed 7 days.  Somehow the bed time dose carried me all the way to noon the next day.  And the noon dose carried me to the bed time dose.  There seems to be synergies?  Or long half life of Valium.  its great u cut Xanax out...its evil...Valium seems to be preferred replacement.   If u can stay steady a while it  it seems ur managing.

Today cut to .125mg Xanax, adding 1 MG Valium for the noon dose.  Goal is to get crossed over to valium 100%.  Still keeping the 7 MG Valium at bed time.  Felt a little funky this afternoon but it passed.  Now will stick to the plan and see how I feel the next week or so.   

Next plan in a week to 10 days is to cut Xanax again to .0625 + 2 MG Valium.  Keeping the night time dose at 7 MG.  Then, hopefully, cut Xanax to zero in next phase.  Lets see how the plan goes.  Hoping not to exceed 8-10 MG Valium and tackle that next.  FYI - using milk titration process to get to the lower doses.

I am a newbie here and this is my story plus or minus some minor details  -   I suppose the advice I have, based on my experience, is to use the 7-10 day window to create a steady state to see how you feel.  Once you feel ready for another cut, choose a reasonable amount your body can handle - whatever that may be.  Best of luck . The folks here are great support.  Lots of good info and anecdotes to help get thru.    Good luck and stay strong.   

Edited by [Kh...]

Hello newbie, glad you’re here. 
if you read my history on my page you’ll see I’ve cut anywhere between 5%-20% over the past few months. 

I plan to be off in 4-6 weeks. 

Not everyone has severe symptoms, or not everyone cares they have symptoms, and those people usually aren’t on BB. For me I knew I needed support because I am highly nervous and had a lot of symptoms I couldn’t handle.

I believe were other people to have the same symptoms as me they’d be fine. We react differently to the same things. 

Listen to your body. That’s the best guide you’re going to get. You CAN do this. Stick around.