Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone familiar with Phenergan (Promethazine)?

[Du...]

Hi everyone, 

I was wondering If anyone Here is familiar with phenergan use during or after taper, for sleep. Did it effect your healing process? 

Have been on it for a year now. It was prescribed to help with sleeping, but I also have histamine problems, that are definitely worse after tapering benzo's. 

I had my last dose of valium on August 3th, after a rapid 8 week taper. Dealing with symptoms, I think I'm very gently getting a bit better over time though.. 

I'm hesitant to taper Phenergan at this moment because I don't want to make to many changes in my unstable brain/body. Unless it could help the healing process of course.

Thanks 

• Like 1

@[Du...]

Phenergan is okay for sleep in small amounts. You just need to take it about 1-2 hrs before sleep. I used to take it in drops, helped me taper the BZD, but I gained a bit of weight. I have an Eating Disorder, so anything that makes me gain weight I just cannot take. Was absent from here, just saw your DM, will answer ASAP.

Paula

• Like 1

Thanks @[Es...]

Did you just stop taking it or did you have to taper it? 

Understandable that you had troubles with weight and I get it that you stopped for that reason. At least it helped you with the benzo taper. 

Take care with the eating probles you are facing, I don't have it myself but can relate to it because of my Girlfriend 

• Like 1

@[Du...]

I cold-turkeyed, like every psych med that made me gain weight. It wasn't a significant weight gain, but I couldn't look at myself in the mirror. Eating disorders are the most lethal of all psychiatric disorders, especially ANA. It's difficult to live with someone who has an Eating Disorder and it really is for life. The fact that she has you should be helping her. I was in remission when I was with my Husband. Now I'm forcing myself to eat cause of my beloved 12 yr old Kitty.