Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Not home free, yet, but running the bases...

[Lo...]

Morning BB,

Even though I'm still symptomatic, I am so happy to be this side of Xanax cessation! (Reminder:  Original dose .5 mg X 6 pills/day; on Xanax since 1998, age now, 63; started 2 year taper in 2020; tapered to .5 mg x 2pills/day then checked into detox, May 2023, for 4 days to turn loose those last 2 pills/day. Also quit Ambien when I first started Xanax taper in 2020.)

As I I said I am still symptomatic, but I'm managing...so I don't get managed! :pokey: Still having a few weird issues:  GI distress, hot skin, red burning face, muscle tension & cramping: inflammation of nerve in the ball of my right foot; painful inflammation in my joints: sleeplessness (which is now controlled by THC gummies). After the hell I went through, these current symptoms are mild. 

I know I'm sounding like a stuck record here, but redirection is the name of the game now.  It would be oh-so-easy to just turn right back around and fall into old symptoms, along with some fresh-hell anxiety, but every day I choose NOT TO. And every day I am becoming more & more skilled at acceptance (yep, here I am now. It's okay, it's okay, it's okay, Sister. It's okay): self compassion (I love and pet me and admire me like nobody else can); redirection = cooking, cleaning, laundry, Yoga, decorating, walking, painting, planning holidays, etc. Anything where I am creating. 

During my hardest withdrawal (during taper) I was undergoing trauma therapy for depression   I did regular breath work sessions, psychedelic Cannabis therapy retreat x 2, I put my face in ice water several times/day to soothe and reset CNS, I danced, I ran up and down my stairs, I got out in nature: I sang at the top of my lungs (still do this one, it's a great reset when triggered) and also I did 8 sessions of Ketamine assisted therapy.  I read and watched everything Dr. Gabor Mate, worked from "The Body Keeps the Score", read and watched and worked everything Dr Peter Levine. I chanted. I meditated. I journaled. I screamed. (I am absolutely NOT giving out advice here,  just reviewing the facts of my own experience.)  Looking back I can see I really clawed my way out.  I spent 2 1/2 years spinning like a dervish. 

The pieces of advice that I can give out:  don't get stuck on your symptoms, look past them, accept them, breathe.   Don't re-instate, it only puts off the inevitable, it's only very cruel and painful procrastination, so stand your ground.  Know the value of creating a new you, wave goodby to the old you the you that needed drugs to face daily life. Know that any discomfort = feeling your healing. Know that every symptom = a spot on the brain being completely healed. Know the  value of every-single-day-self-compassion.  And, lastly,  understand the incredible value of...REDIRECTION. :balloon:

And I want to say to BB...good luck, all.  Hang in there...you CAN get through this! 

Best, LollyDoodle