Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Taurus23

[Ta...]

I am currently taking both zopiclone 7.5mg and diazepam 10mg daily. Have been taking the zopiclone since I was in hospital last October (2022). I have been taking the diazepam for several years on a weekly prescription. Started off on 6mg this was then increased to 8mg by my psychiatrist. While in hospital my dose was increased to 20mg but was tapered down to 15mg before I was discharged from hospital. My primary physician further reduced the diazepam to 10mg around May 2023.I now want to taper off the zopiclone 7.5mg. Was thinking of asking my doctor to prescribe the liquid formulation 7.5mg/5ml and tapering by 1ml every 2 weeks. Is this too fast a dose reduction?

Hello @[Ta...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Since you also take diazepam, I think your plan to reduce your dose 1ml zopiclone (from a dose of 7.5mg/5ml dose) every two weeks is an entirely reasonable goal. 10 weeks to complete the taper (of zopiclone by itself) might be too fast for most people after extended use, but your overall benzodiazepine (and z-drug) use is an important factor here.

Your 7.5mg dose of Zopiclone is equivalent to something like 5mg diazepam. So, your total benzodiazepine dose per day is equivalent to something like 15mg diazepam. So what you propose is to cut your overall dose of benzodiazepine by about a third over a period of about 10 weeks. Sounds like a plan!

If you should find that withdrawal is too tough, I suggest that you simply allow more time before making a new cut.

• Like 1

Thanks Colin for your reply. I haven't approached my doctor yet about reducing the zopiclone and am not sure if the zopiclone liquid formulation is available. Just hoping it is,otherwise trying to gradually taper the dose is going to be difficult since it will mean trying to split bits off what are very small tablets. Feeling very anxious about the dose reduction. 

41 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

Thanks Colin for your reply. I haven't approached my doctor yet about reducing the zopiclone and am not sure if the zopiclone liquid formulation is available. Just hoping it is,otherwise trying to gradually taper the dose is going to be difficult since it will mean trying to split bits off what are very small tablets. Feeling very anxious about the dose reduction. 

I have not checked to see if it is commercially available (and might vary country anyway). But I expect your doctor would be able to (if inclined) to provide you with a prescription for this from a compounding pharmacy. (Though, it will be more expensive).

Alternatively, in most countries (I think), it is possible to buy a suspension medium across the counter to make your own liquid. It would be wise to discuss your needs with the pharmacist. Though, this complication is probably best avoided if possible. Let's address this later if need arises.