Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Putting the pieces together

[Bu...]

Hey Everyone,

I am trying to put some pieces together and would appreciate some opinions/theories.  I was on clonazepam for roughly 7 years before doing a too-rapid taper then, less than a year later, I was reinstated at the same dose.  I stayed at that dose for 13 years.  I got very sick during the year off and developed insomnia, then got slowly, but progressively worse for 13 years.  I had learned CBT, so when my anxiety would flair up, I would get a brush-up on it with a counselor.  It always helped, but I would have bouts of low level anxiety all those years. Occasionally, my doctor would suggest a higher dose, but I didn't want to do that.  I was told at the beginning to not take more than I really needed, as it "could be habit forming in higher doses".  It never occurred to me (or any doctor) that my physical symptoms could be connected. 

My question is:  is it possible to have been kindled during the "gap year" and then later to have been in tolerance withdrawal for 13 years???

Hello @[Bu...],

Quite honestly, anything is possible with benzos. Plus, tolerance could be an issue as well. I was in tolerance for a while myself,  or as long as 11 years though. My doctor also suggested adding midday dose because he said it sounded like I was having withdrawal symptoms between doses. Internally I knew this was wrong, I did not add another dose. I did have a number of trips to the ER with unexplained issues, all with normal test results. I now know this was due to the drug, and tolerance.

A lot of times we have to connect those dots. For me, I knew the drug was making me sick. The best thing for me was to get off and recover. I did.

• Like 1