Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

SERIOUS Help/Advice Klonopin withdrawal

[...]

I’ve been taking klonopin soma and ambien for 22 years.

I started this all after 9/11 as I live in New York..

however, I am not in New York. I am in Norway now with a job opportunity. I came over here six weeks ago and within six weeks I went through a 90 day supply. I have medical reasons that justify me taking the soma and the Ambien.I don’t have any reason other than addiction that I went through all the pills. I’ve never been in rehab, nor of ever ask the doctor for an early refill.

i Cocktail up with vodka. 

I need mature, sound advice.

if this happened in the states, I could go see my doctor or call somebody and get some Xanax.

But I cannot do that over here. as I’m trying to gain citizenship, I don’t want my first interaction with the government to be a hospital or ER visit or even a doctors visit with my name on it and benzo prescription.

I came to this website so I need somebody’s help right now as I’m going cold turkey.

I take 1 mg a day of the klonopin the Ambien at night and soma 4mg(350mg) a day.

I am out of everything right now.

I have been going cold turkey . I am on my seventh day and what I’ve been taking is a combination of gabapentin and soma to make it easier.

my addiction, which is never been socially shared before, and I’m calling it my addiction because I went through all those pills in 50 days not 90 days as it was prescribed for.

I’m clenching my jaw that’s how I got here. I want some sound advice please on getting through this cold turkey..sleep has improved over the last two nights, Benadryl, and melatonin r banned here. 

I had a revelation the other day that perhaps it was part of my journey that I finally get off the pills when I’m out of the country maybe that’s my punishment and maybe that’s my redemption you don’t have to tell me just give me some advice and some support. Thank you very much Lou. 

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

Hello @[...],  welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You sound resigned to your fate and I applaud your determination to be free of these drugs.  I quit cold turkey too and know how you’re feeling, but I’m here to let you know recovery is possible, you can be free and go on to live a healthy life.

It takes a long time to recover, the changes the drugs made to your receptors must be reversed so try to learn all you can about this process, the more you understand, the less you’ll fear and fear is a huge withdrawal symptom.

I hope you’ll lean on us and read the success stories, they’re what got me through this.

Pamster

Resigned to my fate? Not really that dramatic my friend. I'm just scared of worst withdrawal fate of a seizure. Thanks for advice. 

So, I'm in 7th day of cold turkey. You wrote that u did cold turkey? 

Can you advise me of what to expect? I've gone 4 days without anything several times before. 

The soma/ gabapetin combo definitely eases the cravings but my jaw is tight and as someone who has gone through TMJ i knew that sympton.

I'm not interested in dying so any cold turkeytips are appreciated.

Basically how long from your experience until the first week of cravings eases up? Thanks, Lou 

@[...], do you have a history of seizures, if not, then your chance of having one is fairly low and since it’s been 7 days, I’m hopeful you’re out of the woods.  

Typically with Klonopin, symptoms will start showing up around day 3 and begin to resolve around day 10, this is what people who taper say.  My cold turkey symptoms showed up on day 3 and continued to get worse for about 2 weeks but they began to soften in week 3.  

I’m not sure I understand your craving question, I didn’t crave the drug but I did crave relief from the pain, but I was able to return to work at the end of week 3 and at 14 months, I declared my self fully recovered. 

Are you still drinking vodka, if so, you might want to hold off on that as it affects GABA in much the same way as benzodiazepines and might cause you more pain. 

No history of seizures

My cold turkey symptoms are being tempered by the gabapetin/ soma combo, but I'm down to 8 somas with 12 days until refills.

The cravings are bbq that i want to take a pill... the social isolation you described I'm familiar with but i cant disappear here in Norway.  I have a job and visa requirements so after 4 days i was forced to appear for a burger at a meeting for my boss. 

I got through by reminding myself that I can't come across a shaky or desperate.

I would love to have a Benadryl or a melatonin but it's banned here.

Are u familiar using gabapetin as a withdrawal support drug?

Gabapetin is prescribed at 3 100mg daily.... I'm told by doctors that 1800 is what's needed. I'm definitely not addicted to it as I've run out over The years without any issues.

Thanks for your advice on how to use gabapetin to combat kpin withdrawalfrom 

I did cold Turkey after 30 yrs. The witjdrawal that was really bad started about 12 days after CT. It’s going to put you through some very difficult times. It’s a time thing and only way to heal is through it. No other way. Took me about 16 mos give or take. It does get better though. Just takes time 

@[...]. I believe you can do this, its going to be incredibly challenging but you have some pretty serious motivation.  

If you’re going to run short of the Soma, you might want to take a bit less for the next 12 days in order to keep a maintenance dose on board so you don’t experience withdrawal symptoms if you run out too soon.

Many members have used Gabapentin as an adjunct medication with varying degrees of success, remember, it must be tapered if you decide to discontinue taking it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Hi Lou you say you clench your jaw do get tension headaches too thanks 🙏

I do not get tension headaches from with withdrawal. 

21 hours ago, [[R...] said:

I did cold Turkey after 30 yrs. The witjdrawal that was really bad started about 12 days after CT. It’s going to put you through some very difficult times. It’s a time thing and only way to heal is through it. No other way. Took me about 16 mos give or take. It does get better though. Just takes time 

What was your dosage? Rabchman?

Can anybody tell me why my withdrawal symptoms are calm and then out of nowhere they spike terribly? The spike triggers mental issues basically of me beating myself up for going through 90 days supply in 50 days I’m thinking I had it all I blew it of course I can get it again if I want to but right now I’m in a  gray area

going cold turkey/ or flying back for a taper having learn my lesson of never wanting to go through a cold, turkey shock withdrawal again with my very cooperative PCP…

regardless. I’m very confused right now because I’ve never gone this long since I started 22 years ago.

Ending my 8th day of COLD TURKEY. ANY HINTS TIPS etc? Thank you for your support and advice. Greatly appreciate it. .

Hello @[...] - I'm sorry you're going through this.  As others here have said, your symptoms will most likely be really rough for a while and then will gradually lift.  The more you read here and learn about withdrawal the better equipped you'll be to manage what's ahead and you'll have a clearer understanding of what to expect.  It's  not unusual that your symptoms ease up and then hit you hard again.  It's typical of withdrawal that it doesn't follow a straight path.  I echo Pamster in suggesting you read Success Stories.  You'll see accounts from others who have gone on to recover from CT of clonazepam.  

• Like 1

So sorry you're going through this @[...].

About the spikes of withdrawal symptoms. It sounds like you could be having some rebound histamine issues. Benzos act on histamine receptors as well as GABA receptors. So stopping cold turkey, can cause histamine dumps. Adrenaline counteracts histamine to keep it from reaching toxic levels. So it's a bit of a delayed reaction cascade. I believe histamine intolerance is usually the explanation when the withdrawal symptoms are up and down. It might take several weeks for this to stop. 

To manage this, I try to minimize histamine dumps by avoiding high histamine foods and alcohol. (Alcohol can cause the worst delayed reactions. Chocolate and tomato sauce and highly processed foods are some others). If this resonates with you, and delayed flares happen after eating certain high histamine foods (or after a delay when drinking alcohol), then an OTC antihistamine might help a bit until you're over the hump. I don't like diphenhydramine (Benadryl) because it can have a paradoxical effect, depending on genetics. None of the other antihistamines available OTC have this issue, afaik. So one of those might help. Avoiding alcohol and eating a low histamine diet are most helpful for me when dealing with this. 

The other thing that has helped me in the past is GABA supplement powder. Just the pure amino acid. It's available pretty much anywhere from iHerb, I think. I like the powder because it's easier to adjust dosing and I think most capsules have too high of a dose. A quarter teaspoon when in a flare helps me a lot. 

I hope you get on the other side of this soon and start to feel better soon, too!  

Hi @[...] Off topic but congratulations on your job in Norway. That's a big deal. 

What's the longest you've ever gone without the Klonopin?

While every body is different - I think it's possible your symptoms may** might** uptick or increase after 10-12 days. What are your symptoms like today? (Better than yesterday? Worse?)

My best tips for Benzo WD are as follows:

-Magnesium - lots of it. Oral supplement AND

-Epsom Salts bath. 

-Drink tons of water. Your brain/neurons need that hydration to heal. 

-Stay away from refined sugar and processed foods. It's not worth it - and these foods exacerbate everything. Including coffee/caffiene. 

-Have a support system - tell someone what you're going through (This community is GREAT and, tap into a loved one if you can. Partner, brother, sister, parent, adult child..friend etc.)

You sound like you're really dedicated to get through this - so you WILL. As @pamster said - your risk for seizure is really low. Hang in there. Let us know how you're doing. 

• 2 months later...

I'm on day 7 of cold turkey from Valium. 1 year usage at 30-40mg daily. Withdrawal is still spiking, at my worst moments I have ordered some Amanita gummies, as I researched they are basically GABA and reading lots of success stories with micro dosing Amanita for benzo withdrawal relief. I also have Soma, but trying to cut that out completely as well.

Hope OP is doing better, reading this post gave me hope