Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Versed for colonoscopy

[el...]

I have been off  Xanax for three years.  Due for a colonoscopy which they use versed for sedation for.   I am wondering if this is a good idea.  Any recommendations or experience would be appreciated.  Thank you Elise

• Like 1

Hi Elise... I'm really glad you asked this question. Although I cannot answer nor contribute -I ALSO have a colonoscopy and endo coming up. I know this has come up on the forum in the past but couldn't find substantial responses that addressed this - I'm commenting to bump this thread up and try to get some visibility on this post and also express my interest in this topic also... i hope others chime in.

@[el...] I had a colonoscopy and two endoscopies during my taper. Versed was used for the colonoscopy and one endoscopy. I have to say I suffered absolutely no ill effects from the Versed. But I listened to discussions on here and thought maybe I should be careful and use propofol for the second endoscopy, so I asked for it. I felt no ill effects from it . . . and the only difference I could discern was that I woke up faster from the propofol. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate to use Versed but that's just me, based on my good experience with it. Maybe others will chime in and offer their experiences. Best of luck to you and to @[ia...] also.

(A final note . . . I had cataract surgery at the end of my taper and the ophthalmologist used Versed. Again, no ill effects).

In my country endoscopy and colonoscopy are done with no sedation, it’s bad but bearable. Personally I would opt for no drugs due to my reactions to even unrelated drugs but I react to everything so that’s me.