Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Kindling vs. Sensitization

[mi...]

I understand Kindling as having started and stopped a drug too many times, with the subsequent withdrawals being more difficult due to this. However, what about being sensitized while on a med. If your system is sensitized from huge cuts, brand changes, outside factors causing setbacks such as abx, steroids, etc, isn't that the same underlying effect on the CNS? I mean I felt severe WD symptoms which shocked my system every time i tried a new brand (i barely changed my dose) and i haven't been the same since, but since I never stopped taking K it isn't considered kindling according to what I've been told. But now I barely feel my dose, I haven't felt stable in months, and my entire symptom pattern has changed from minimal to severe. Are we just throwing around terms here. Its like with the word protracted, tolerance, kindling, etc, people use these terms loosely and criteria vary. In the end is it all the same in that our CNS gets sensitized to the point where our baseline's change and things that used to work don't work the same? Just trying to manage expectations here.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
[Pa...]

I agree it’s muddy. We simply don’t know enough about kindling, most of the research is done on cessation of alcohol which isn’t tapered. 

I have had the same issues as you. Complete destabilization from brand change after slow steady taper that was going ok. 

Did you eventually stabilize on the new brand? Or did you go back to the old brand to stabilize?

p

Edited by [Pa...]

[Ma...]

It’s all semantics. But I think you can boil it down to 1 umbrella:

CNS sensitization

• Like 1

[ma...]

@[Ma...] i try to find back replies you and Kate wrote to me a week ago . I can't find them . Can you please help . I want to read them again 

[Ma...]

@[ma...] Go to the top right of your page, click the 3 gold lines, then the bell icon and scroll down to search.

[ma...]
55 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

@[ma...] Go to the top right of your page, click the 3 gold lines, then the bell icon and scroll down to search.

Yes i did that @[Ma...]but yours are not there .Hm .

[je...]

@[ma...] if you’re having technical difficulties please start a thread under Helpdesk and the team will gladly help you there. We would like this thread to remain on topic please.