Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Jolted awake at night

[Mo...]

Has anyone else experienced a rush of cortisol in the middle of the night? It happens to me every night/very early morning. I wake up from a dream with my heart pounding and hot. When does this ease up?!? 

• Like 2

I had that symptom when I started to withdrawal.  But I would jolt awake as soon as I started to fall asleep.  It would happen over and over . It finally settled when I stabilized after reinstating from a cold turkey

@[Sw...]Thank you for your never ending support throughout this. I’m having a very difficult time both physically and emotionally. How long were your on Klonopin? And how long until you felt some relief ? 

These jolts in the middle of the night appear to be common.  These were the moments when I realized I was dependent on Xanax.  It seemed to me that the drug was wearing off and the jolts (I called them internal buzzing feelings) were a result of the withdraw - perhaps cortisol increases at this time as well.  I am tapering now and have transitioned night time dose from Xanax to Valium and the jolts have subsided.  Next step - slowly taper Valium...still have the day time xanax dose to deal with but taper seems to be working for me.  Hopeful anyway  

Edited by [Kh...]

11 minutes ago, [[K...] said:

These jolts in the middle of the night appear to be common.  These were the moments when I realized I was dependent on Xanax.  It seemed to me that the drug was wearing off and the jolts (I called them internal buzzing feelings) were a result of the withdraw - perhaps cortisol increases at this time as well.  I am tapering now and have transitioned night time dose from Xanax to Valium and the jolts have subsided.  Next step - slowly taper Valium...still have the day time xanax dose to deal with but taper seems to be working for me.  Hopeful anyway  

In other words they will go away as your body adjusts....I am a newbie to this but this is my experience in last 2-3 months

23 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Has anyone else experienced a rush of cortisol in the middle of the night? It happens to me every night/very early morning. I wake up from a dream with my heart pounding and hot. When does this ease up?!? 

Oh yes but rest assured this symptom slowly subsides. Stress is a culprit in it maintaining its vice grip. It gets better.