Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Extreme anger/ Any advice to calm down

[Bu...]

Hi. Because of intrusive, looping thoughts and much fear, I have extreme anger that goes with it,much of the time. How do I calm down? Any tips?

Hey Bulldog14,

Have you tried deep breathing exercises?  I learned some from CBT and found them to be really helpful for dealing with anger.  My favorite one is to breathe in through your nose for a count of 4, hold your breath for 2 seconds and then breathe out for 6 seconds.  Sometimes I say a word to myself, such as "relax" or "calm" while I breathe in and out. It really helps me calm down.

• Like 2

Oh, I'm sorry it doesn't work for you.  The other thing I do, and maybe you've tried this too, is to write out what/who I'm angry about and then tear it up and throw it away. 

Either way, at least you know that you're not alone with this :)

• Like 1

@[Bu...] Oh, I'm so sorry! This is so hard! I've had those feelings of anger - even rage - and they pass, just like all the other crap. It's OK to have these feelings and you're certainly not alone. I think everyone goes through it.

The breathing recommended by @[Bu...] helps me a lot. I have a slightly different rhythm, but it is essentially the same. I'd add, make sure you're breathing into your belly and not your chest and initiate a breathing cycle with 3 deep breaths before starting a cycle. And it does take time to get into a rhythm that will calm you - maybe 3 to 5 minutes (which can feel like an eternity!). Try placing your hand on your heart and think of something that you love - I picture a friend's dog running to me when she sees me (it's quite sweet, actually).

The other suggestion from @[Bu...] was writing out what they are angry about. I've done that and it can be quite helpful. I have a LOT of letters and journal entries that I've written out when I am really ticked off and it definitely makes me feel better. (Of course, I never send them because the feeling always passes.)

I really hope you are feeling better!

Jess

• Like 1

I just recently had a week of rage. My insides were so angry and my thoughts never ceasing. The thoughts are hard. I am constantly being triggered and then set off by the trigger with awful thoughts. I’m deeply insecure so I struggle with feeling abandoned, rejected, unloved. This shows up in not so obvious triggers.. things that wouldnt upset a normal person can blow me up… also I am way too perceptive and constantly looking for danger… so I can see bad in everything… but sadly it keeps me more sick than safe