Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Scary weight loss

[Mo...]

I am new and longer time members may be able to advise better. But I wanted to add that I have also lost a similar amount of weight. My last dose of Ativan was almost 4 weeks ago, but even during tapering, my appetite had significantly decreased, I believe, partially due to my own anxiety. However, my naturopath told me Ativan, naturally lowers your appetite. I am doing my best as my appetite slowly recovers to eat proteins and consume high calorie things such as caffeine free Frappuccinos and hot chocolate. However some may advise to avoid sugar. I also eat lots of cashews as this used to help me gain weight.

Edited by [Ra...]

Years ago, I suffered very quick weight loss for a completely unrelated reason. I had oral surgery. My doctor at the time said, maintaining my electrolytes was the most important. My experience was eventually the weight loss will slow, even if you eat very small meals. So like what some of the more long-term members have said, it’s important to stay hydrated. Are you able to eat small easy meals like soup, broth, yogurt, noodles, fruit? I’ll be interested in knowing what some others think but please remember that when someone is feeling better, often their weight gain can be very quick. So this is reversible.

I lost weight too when I realized I was dependent and was depressed and quit eating.  Maybe lost 5% body weight (7-8 pounds) fairly quickly.  Friends said I looked gaunt.  Ouch.. I usually only eat twice a day - late breakfast and fairly early dinner.  It was just not enough calories.    Wife began making me eat 3 times a day...even it was a small sandwich in afternoon.  Also snacks - nuts, chips whatever.  You need calories.  I also bought some Ensure powder - only need to add water - helps with calorie intake.  Personally, I dont care what kind of food the calories come from - milk and cookies at night or whatever.   Gotta eat!  Force it -  make a schedule just like the taper.

Gained back 5 lbs friends saying i look better.   You can do it.   

I quit Klonopin and lost weight in months 2 through 5, then gained it back with a belly 6 through 10, then I leveled out to normal months 11 and 12.

I didn't think about it much at the time. I was conscience of making sure I got water and salt. Much like Rachel P says above.