Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Handing agoraphobia. Should I?

[Bu...]

Went out a few times. It was frightening so I'm staying in. My partner wants me to go out but why? Do other people feel this way. Please, I'd appreciate any input.

1 hour ago, [[B...] said:

Went out a few times. It was frightening so I'm staying in. My partner wants me to go out but why? Do other people feel this way. Please, I'd appreciate any input.

@[Bu...] I don't think this is an unusual feeling at all. In time it will pass. I didn't specifically have agoraphobia, but I was very anxious about driving anywhere by myself. (And I used to drive hundreds of miles by myself with regularity but got to the point where I didn't want to drive to the market.) I have a really supportive psychologist to help me, and I worked with him to desensitize myself with exposure strategies. Now, I'm fine with driving alone. 

So, yes, other people feel this way or have similar feelings. You're definitely not alone. 

:hug:

• Like 1

Hello @[Bu...] - Agoraphobia and self-isolating are common symptoms during withdrawal.  Benzo withdrawal can shake our self confidence and make us feel like strangers in our own skin. The fear center of the brain is scrambling to find equilibrium and makes us fearful of things we used to do with ease.  Many of our members go through this - I did too.  We can feel tempted to make a cocoon at home where we feel safe and comfortable.  Each person has to find their own balance between seeking comfort and venturing out into the world.  It can be helpful to work on this with a therapist as @[Je...] did.  Please remind yourself that as you heal the fear tends to recede and it will be easier.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Thanks, People. I have absolutely no confidence now and i no idea who I am as a person. I really don't know what to do.

@[Bu...] I'm so sorry you're feeling this way. It is not uncommon during withdrawal, and you are definitely not alone in your feelings. This is hard, really. Be kind and compassionate with yourself as you go through this. The feelings will pass, it just takes time. I write this a lot because I believe it is true: You are stronger than you think.

Jess

• Like 1