Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Xanax help!

[Je...]

Hi everyone,

Really could use some sound advice please! I started to get sick about two years ago it started as heart palpitations, shortness of breath, occasional panic attacks, nausea, exercise intolerance, etc. then I progressively got worse until last September when I did a heavy metal test. It turns out I have Mercury toxicity along with other things as well such as inflammation, copper toxicity, and of course my hormones, thyroid, etc are all messed up. I did a round of chelation therapy to try to get rid of the heavy metals and it made me so sick I felt as though I had meningitis my body ached so bad, I was throwing up, I was weak, I was panicking, cold feet, nausea, my ears felt stuffy like I’m on an airplane and my head felt so extremely stuffy and full every day. One day in the midst of a panic attack I took .5mg of Xanax and I felt like a new person. Truly. It took away the body aches, the weird head sensation, the ear clogged feeling, etc. This journey has continued and I have continued to take the Xanax to get me through it as I cannot function feeling how I feel without the Xanax. It was crazy to me how it took away all the symptoms. And it still does. I am able to go up and down on my dose since starting to take it. A majority of days I just take 0.5mg. A month a half ago I was feeling so well I only took .25mg for about three days just because I didn’t want to withdrawal. And then I encountered a stress event and my symptoms got really bad again and so I have been taking .5mg twice daily. I really don’t want to get addicted to it but if I don’t take it I can’t function I want to just rip my head off because of this ear stuffiness and muscle aches. I don’t know what to do because I feel like once I can get the Mercury out of my nervous system I can get off the Xanax, but I also am not well educated about Xanax and have heard horror stories. I don’t take it for anxiety, I simply take it because it’s almost as if it reduces inflammation in my brain. Someone please help me I’m so scared and I can’t stop crying thinking about having to endure withdrawal when the mercury toxicity is already so hard for me. I’m only 28 and I don’t want my life to be miserable. 

Hello @[Je...],welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You’ve come to the right place for an education but I’m worried it will scare you even more.  Most of our members come here because they’ve already encountered difficulties taking, withdrawing or recovering from this medication but not everyone is like us.  Many can take these medications without suffering like we do, so please don’t assume our story will be yours.

It looks as if Xanax has given you quality of life, my suggestion is to take what its given you and live your life.  I’m not worried about addiction for you, but dependence is possible and if your body is dependent, then you can deal with that if and when the time comes.

You’re dealing with a serious condition and you don’t need to compound it worrying about what may happen.  When you recover, you’ll be in a better position to address the Xanax.  

It’s possible some of our members may have a different take on your situation, but that’s the beauty of BenzoBuddies, we’re a diverse but kind group who will reach out and offer their experience to help you figure out what to do.

We’re glad you found us.

Pamster

• Like 2

8 hours ago, [[J...] said:

I progressively got worse until last September when I did a heavy metal test. It turns out I have Mercury toxicity along with other things as well such as inflammation, copper toxicity, and of course my hormones, thyroid, etc are all messed up. I did a round of chelation therapy to try to get rid of the heavy metals and it made me so sick I felt as though I had meningitis my body ached so bad

Hello @[Je...]

Can you provide some details about this test - what kind of test, and who conducted it? Forgive me - I may be incorrect - but it sounds like you performed some kind of home test or it was by someone who does not hold a medical licence. You should know that there is a lot of nonsense on the Net about heavy metal poisoning. Mercury poisoning is real and serious thing, but rare (your mercury fillings are not going to cause this). Various forms of chelation are used quite rightly by doctors in cases of poisoning with various metals. But chelation is also provided by quack services and can be dangerous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chelation_therapy#Use_in_alternative_medicine

• Like 2

Hello again @[Je...], after I logged off last night I thought of a question I should have asked you about your Xanax use.  Would you feel comfortable sharing with us if you’ve used it or any other benzodiazepine prior to taking the Xanax for your current condition?  It sounds like you may have a pre-existing prescription for it.

The reason I ask is because the symptoms you’ve described sound like benzodiazepine tolerance or withdrawal symptoms so I wanted to make sure this isn’t what’s happening. 

• 2 months later...

I am on day two of a heavy metals test.  It  is a 'provoked' test to determine what heavy metals are stored in my fatty tissues, bones, brain, etc.  It is a urine test and my ND is very informed about  this test.  She ran me through a vigorous questionnaire before she would even consider doing the test.  She uses a lab which I won't name here as I don't want anyone to think I am advertising.  I would be glad to send you more info if you DM me.  The test isn't complicated and so far, only modest sxs, mostly involving cramping which requires me to tke higher amounts of magnesium every day.  I think these testing agents are eating it up  :brickwall:

My background is  working in at least fifty older homes over the past 50 years,  many built and refurbished prior to lead paint restrictions.  I am suspecting that I have some lead poisoning symptoms along with the BZW and those metals  could potentiate the BZW sxs, so I've read!!.   My ND has suggested that  IV chelation would be the best for my situation should my tests come back high lead or mercury due to long term amalgam fillings.  I was already tested for mold toxicity and was very high in two types.  I chelated those for over a year, with oral supplements and  know this helped my general symptoms.  It's a long shot but I have a good feeling that ridding my body, especially my brain tissues, of heavy metals will help me heal.  I'll keep you posted.

Frankly, I am surprised this subject isn't questioned on this site more frequently given so much news about general toxicity from all sorts of directions in our  world today. 

Klonkar

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[K...] said:

I am on day two of a heavy metals test.  It  is a 'provoked' test to determine what heavy metals are stored in my fatty tissues, bones, brain, etc.  It is a urine test and my ND is very informed about  this test.  She ran me through a vigorous questionnaire before she would even consider doing the test.  She uses a lab which I won't name here as I don't want anyone to think I am advertising.  I would be glad to send you more info if you DM me.  The test isn't complicated and so far, only modest sxs, mostly involving cramping which requires me to tke higher amounts of magnesium every day.  I think these testing agents are eating it up  :brickwall:

My background is  working in at least fifty older homes over the past 50 years,  many built and refurbished prior to lead paint restrictions.  I am suspecting that I have some lead poisoning symptoms along with the BZW and those metals  could potentiate the BZW sxs, so I've read!!.   My ND has suggested that  IV chelation would be the best for my situation should my tests come back high lead or mercury due to long term amalgam fillings.  I was already tested for mold toxicity and was very high in two types.  I chelated those for over a year, with oral supplements and  know this helped my general symptoms.  It's a long shot but I have a good feeling that ridding my body, especially my brain tissues, of heavy metals will help me heal.  I'll keep you posted.

Frankly, I am surprised this subject isn't questioned on this site more frequently given so much news about general toxicity from all sorts of directions in our  world today. 

Klonkar

Klonkar, Melisa.org does blood test for heavy metals. Please visit the site.  There are testimonials there of people who've experienced metal sensitivity as well as allergy. 

I'm getting tested next month, I have titanium clips in me after gallbladder surgery and hysterectomy, both used clips! 

I hope you find answers soon, I'm sorry you are suffering from metal poisoning.  Our son is also suffering greatly from metal poisoning and lyme disease. 

I shares the Melisa.org testing site couple months back, not many showed interest.  The benzos we are tapering from are coated with Titanium! Sooo, it is essential that people get tested. I hope your post here will help to further the importance of this issue. 

Thank u for sharing your story!

• Love 1

OK where is everyone. Getting those little yellow men banging their head against the wall?

• Love 1

Thank you nsindy for helping bring this subject to light!  I don't think most people understand how little mercury it takes to make cause dis-ease.   The mercury in amalgams is enough, over years of chewing, to cause toxicity.  There are many any articles out there about how few PPM it takes to pollute our systems.  My ND uses Great Plains Labs for her lab sites and considers this the best lab in the country for several kinds of toxicity testing.  They are helpful with the specific protocol for any HM testing results. 

It's been nearly 5 years since I jumped off K after about  a 6 month taper. It's been a pretty rough road but I have a good  life and expect things to get better.  I am physiologically very healthy except for the lingering  sxs from long term use of Clonazepam for which HM's may be playing a part.  I guess i will see!!  I expect lead im my system more than any other metal but that is because of the hundreds of hours I spent sanding and scraping on old lead painted buildings.  Not a lot of warning signs on those paint cans back in the day.  With a deep dive into HM's, I've discovered that many people can be exposed in unsuspecting ways, water sources, foods, long time smoking, and so many work environments one would never suspect.

Good luck with whichever path you chose, whether it's HM testing first or tapering off of the X.

Klonkar

12 minutes ago, [[[...] said:

Thank you nsindy for helping bring this subject to light!  I don't think most people understand how little mercury it takes to make cause dis-ease.   The mercury in amalgams is enough, over years of chewing, to cause toxicity.  There are many any articles out there about how few PPM it takes to pollute our systems.  My ND uses Great Plains Labs for her lab sites and considers this the best lab in the country for several kinds of toxicity testing.  They are helpful with the specific protocol for any HM testing results. 

It's been nearly 5 years since I jumped off K after about  a 6 month taper. It's been a pretty rough road but I have a good  life and expect things to get better.  I am physiologically very healthy except for the lingering  sxs from long term use of Clonazepam for which HM's may be playing a part.  I guess i will see!!  I expect lead im my system more than any other metal but that is because of the hundreds of hours I spent sanding and scraping on old lead painted buildings.  Not a lot of warning signs on those paint cans back in the day.  With a deep dive into HM's, I've discovered that many people can be exposed in unsuspecting ways, water sources, foods, long time smoking, and so many work environments one would never suspect.

Good luck with whichever path you chose, whether it's HM testing first or tapering off of the X.

Klonkar

Klonkar, 

Thanks so much for sharing this info. I will pass it on to my son. I hopefully finished with my taper by then, but I will probably have to wait until I'm finished. I do hope youll.look into Melisa.org as well. The more testing the better. 

I do know that this withdrawal process causes so many health related issues that seemingly go away after a while like they never happened. Very strange drugs for sure! 

Anyway, I hope you'll stay in touch and share any thoughts you might have om this topic. Do.let me know how your testing goes please!

Have a great night,

We'll talk soon

Take care 

By for now!

• Like 1

Update:  Great Plains Labs is now Mosaic Diagnostics.  Website is Mosaicdx.com

klonkar

Yes, it's in Kansas.   The site is easy to navigate but, unfortunately, they don't post prices for their tests.  A physician will have to quote those.  My HM test was $185 which I think is reasonable.  I just finished my test and the little jar is in the freezer to be shipped tomorrow. It'll be at least a week, but I'll get back with you to share the stats.

Have a great day.

Klonkar

• Like 1

Klonkar thank u

Good luck with your results.  I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

Take care 

Ns

• 3 weeks later...

I promised to get back to you with my heavy metal test results.  I figured my lead would be high and it is.  The only other high level of any metal was cadmium.  Both are found in old paints and after 40 years of sanding old houses, I am not surprised.  This could very well contribute to my full time pressure headaches. 

My lead levels were 16 and the normal is <1.2. 

My barium levels are slightly high but still worrisome: 5.7 with normal being <5

I'll start an IV chelating protocol as soon as my N.D. orders specific chelators.

Looking forward,

Klonkar

1 minute ago, [[K...] said:

I promised to get back to you with my heavy metal test results.  I figured my lead would be high and it is.  The only other high level of any metal was cadmium.  Both are found in old paints and after 40 years of sanding old houses, I am not surprised.  This could very well contribute to my full time pressure headaches. 

My barium levels are slightly high but still worrisome: 5.7 with normal being <5

I'll start an IV chelating protocol as soon as my N.D. orders specific chelators.

Looking forward,

Klonkar

Wow klonkar, those are very high numbers. I'm sorry. Our son did chelation as well. He stuck with it for quite sometime. Did a grueling course of antibiotics and supplements, severak times and more. He also has lyme disease so it's a long process that included ivermectrin so he is quite ill.

I'm sorry you have to go thru that process, hopefully it will help you. Your going to have to dig deep as it's not a fun experience I understand. 

I hope the best for you and look forward to following your progress. 

Thank u for keeping me posted. I haven't had my metals test yet, ruling out other things first.

Take good care of yourself ok

I'll watch foryour posts on updates

Ns

• Like 1

14 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Looking forward,

Klonkar

A proper and true use of chelation! Please let us know about your progress.

Be sure that you are using a properly qualified and experienced medical practitioner, as chelation (if improperly applied) can be very dangerous. I only mention this because of the large numbers of quacks out there using chelation improperly for unsuitable ailments (real or imagined).

Good luck.

• Like 2