Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Expensive Scale for Dry Microtapering

[mi...]

I just bought a $1500 lab grade scale that will be delivered in a few days. I've been using the $20 Amazon scales that we all use. I am down to .154mg K which is .053g in weight. Each reduction at this point is 1.85% and climbs with every cut. I am so destabilized right now and even a small cut of 1.85% sends my system into shock. What I realized is that even when holding steady, due to the precision limitations, each pill could vary technically by up to 1.85%, and that's assuming the scale is even consistent which we know these ones aren't. So I could be getting fluctuations of even up to 4% on daily doses as my dose has gotten so low. Normally that hasn't been an issue for me as I was super stable so even scale mistakes didn't make a dent in my symptoms. However, now I'm certain I need extreme accuracy in my dose, thus the expensive purchase. Has anyone had any experience with a .0001 scale that was high quality and did it make a difference in helping your system settle down after awhile. I know DLMT helps many with this but my body couldn't handle several liquid trials. Just looking for success stories of going to DMT with weighed pills using highly calibrated and accurate scales. Thanks.

I look back 6 years when I tapered and wish i had gone this route. I was 1mg every 2 week reductions. Near the end i was 0.5mg every 2 weeks off valium.

However as i understand biovability rates differ due to what food you have had. Do you have more stomach acid that day etc? So naturally even with scales your body differs the dosages.

I remember taking a dose after a large meal and getting Barely any relief.

Then on an empty stomach I would get more relief... bassically my doses then became morning empty stomach only because It would honestly wreck me for a whole day if my stomach was full due to bioavailbility. samd with drinking Milk. it seemed to slow down absorption and I never felt my doses. 

Best of luck

I purchased a lab-quality scale and it was a game-changer for me, in terms of accuracy of the weight.   With the regular scale, the weight was jumping around too much for me to feel like I was getting an accurate weight.  While so far I haven't had horrible symptoms (knock on wood, I realize this could change as I get lower), taking the guesswork out of what the weight is helped me in taking some of the anxiety out of the whole process.  

• Like 1

I bought a $350 0.0001 gram scale on eBay and it has, so far, made a tremendous difference in my ability to stabilize my symptoms.  I am doing a daily microtaper (I also am not able to handle the liquid) and the accuracy has really helped.  Even though the 4th decimal point may vary from 0.000 t0 0.0001, the third decimal point is very solid and I can do reductions down to 0.1%  I am very sensitive to the smallest of reductions and this scale (even though it is probably not the quality of that which you have purchased) has been a god-send.  But be beware, it is extremely sensitive to the slightest changes in temperature, even the slightest vibration, and any slight current of air. 

Hope it works for you as well!

@[El...] so what were your symptoms like before you got the scale and how did they improve when you got it? I was very stable using the scale for a year and a half and a series of brand changes and failed liquid trials through me into acute withdrawal, and I’ve been that way for almost 4 months now after having a very easy taper. I cannot stabilize myself at all now and as I am getting lower in my dose, currently at .154 mg Clonopin, the variations in dose are affecting me even more so I have to switch to my tapering to stabilize. There’s just no other way. Even my smallest cut right now is 1.8%  and my body can’t even handle that right now. I feel a shock in my system and I start to have massive, shaking episodes and it’s just terrible. I even feel that between cut because my daily dose is not even. I’m hoping that if I can keep that completely steady every day , my body will stop reacting and will eventually settle down 

I am much further behind in my taper than you.  But, I have always been very sensitive to cuts and thus I have been very symptomatic throughout my taper.  So, I also was looking for answers to try to stabilize.

My biggest symptoms were extreme deep muscle, nerve, and bone pain in my back, legs, feet and shoulders along with numbness and tingling in my lower legs and feet.  I really could barely walk.  On a scale of 1-10, it was off the charts.  Within less than a week of purchasing the scale, these had reduced to about a 0-1.  I also had, and have, tittitus, teeth and jaw pain, insomnia, terrible penetrating headaches, and emotional bouts of weeping.  If I keep my daily taper to no more than 0.5% per day (which I am now able to do successfully with the scale), I can keep those symptoms to about 0-2 on my scale of 1-10 instead of 5-8.  If they start ramping up, I hold for a day or 2 and they settle down again.  I really do believe, although I am sure there are those that would respectfully disagree, that it is due to the rather rigid control I now have of my dose amount.  Furthermore, it has been suggested, and I now agree, that I need to systematically schedule regular holds to allow my CNT to "catch up" to my cuts rather than keep cutting until my symptoms ramp up.

I do hope that your scale works as well for you as it has, thus far, for me!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I was switched from Xanax to Ativan in late April.  Ativan initially made me feel very nauseaus.  So I rapidly cut about 42% in May, 15% in June and 11% in July.  I was doing cuts anywhere from 0.5-2% per day (at least I thought I was, given the limitations of my little jeweler's scale).  But my symptoms were increasing and horrific.  When I finally got to the point where I could barely walk, I finally made a rational decision in hold in August.  But I don't think my hold was very accurate as I was still using my old scale.  I ordered and received my new scale in early August.  I continued to hold at what I thought was my holding dose for a week with the new scale.  So, perhaps it was a combination of the hold and the new scale, but within that week I began to feel so much better.  I resumed my taper the second week of September at 1% per day.  Way too much...held for a couple of days and it resolved.  I then went down to 0.75% per day.  Still too much so held a few days and once again they resolved.  I am now at 0.5-0.65% per day for the last about 3 weeks.  I realized last night when I never did get to sleep and my tittitus ramped up that I again need to hold.  But this time, I don't think my percentage is off, I just need to schedule in more regular holds regardless, even if I am feeling OK, so my CNS has a chance to calm down.

Even though I often feel discouraged about the length of this process (even more so today as I am extra weepy), I really do appreciate having the assurance that my dose weights are accurate.  It gives me the ability to make much more rational and solid decisions about my rate of taper and times for holding.

Hope this helps!  Please post at some point after you get your scale to see how it is working for you.

Edited by [El...]

But you are on a very, very low dose!  I think it has been said that it harder at lower doses.  I am still at 1.05 mg.  I am sure I will have to slow my pace as I get lower and lower.  I am certainly not going at the rate I was earlier in the spring and early summer.

I also did not think I would ever get over my crash I had in August.  But I did!  And I am sure you will as well.  Hopefully the new scale will help.  I think patience is everything in this struggle.

My problem is I changed brands and then tried liquid and it shocked my nervous system and it’s been three months since that and I’m still totally non functional. Worst Benzo belly nerve pain imaginable and hyper awareness of every sensation in my body. Never had that before. Turned on like a light switch 

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the Worse Stomach pain the last year,I'm just reading about benzobelly Pain,I have been watching "This is Life w.Lisa Ling"and there is an episode about Benzos on it&Came across Benzobuddies,I want to get off the 1.5 Mg.of Ativan,I am prescribed.5 three times a day now for 3 years in December when my Husband Passed away.I Have all of The Symptoms I've been reading about,The ears ringing,My Stomach pain is almost unbearable but only thing that stops it is another pill but I know now that's what is causing it, Please help me taper off without the horrible Withdrawals,I've stopped cold turkey and had to end up getting some more.. Please tells me how and what i need to taper,I saw a scale,Syringe for water,My dr.will not prescribed.a liquid,So how can i take this tiny pill and do it,I've tried to cut in half then in fourth but the Detox pain is Unbearable at 59, Please help,Thank You,Kay 

Hello @[...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

My condolences on the loss of your husband.

If you start your own thread (the 'Start new topic' button), on the page listing thread tiles, we will help you device a taper plan.

On 19/10/2023 at 22:31, [[m...] said:

My problem is I changed brands and then tried liquid and it shocked my nervous system and it’s been three months since that and I’m still totally non functional. Worst Benzo belly nerve pain imaginable and hyper awareness of every sensation in my body. Never had that before. Turned on like a light switch 

Did you get your new scale? How are you doing?? Just switching to a liquid caused you to destabilize? I’m getting interdose wirhdrawal with Ativan 0.21 mg a day and am contemplating getting a lab scale because I can’t get precise cuts or doing liquid.. I’m unstable and very nervous about the liquid switch 

I love the scale and it’s so accurate but I’m not stable and haven’t been in months. I’ve been using it for a week. I’m not sure if it’s going to make a difference or not at this point as I don’t know if accuracy is the issue or something else. I feel so sick it’s not even funny. Mentally I don’t know who I am and my gut hurts so bad that it makes my head spin. I tried a new brand when my old brand was backordered and it put my system into overdrive and caused a major setback. After six weeks I tried compounded liquid k and crashed even worse and haven’t recovered. I went back to my original pills but the damage was done. I have the most insane GI pain and benzo belly and my moods and emotions are all over the place. Scary is an understatement. But yes a scale is a must with lower doses with drugs like ours. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Did you get your new scale? How are you doing?? Just switching to a liquid caused you to destabilize? I’m getting interdose wirhdrawal with Ativan 0.21 mg a day and am contemplating getting a lab scale because I can’t get precise cuts or doing liquid.. I’m unstable and very nervous about the liquid switch 

You could switch to Valium, or Clonazepam and avoid the IW and use a liquid taper. Clonazepam is easily dissolved in milk I read.

5 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

You could switch to Valium, or Clonazepam and avoid the IW and use a liquid taper. Clonazepam is easily dissolved in milk I read.

I can’t do Valium due to my genetics. I have been trying to stabilize for 6months and it’s not happening. I think I’m way too fragile to switch meds unfortunately 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, [[M...] said:

I can’t do Valium due to my genetics. I have been trying to stabilize for 6months and it’s not happening. I think I’m way too fragile to switch meds unfortunately 

Yes. Genetics. 

I did a DNA test for testing some SSRI's. This is what it said for Diazepam. Well, I'm going to try tomorrow anyway. 

But I must add, Clonazepam only uses CYP3A4, just like Ativan. So maybe that could be an option for you?

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-10-29 om 23.35.47.png

These are the liver enzymes Diazepam needs to be metabolized. How your liver functions is dependent on the genetic lottery, your ethnicity, environment, maybe the food you eat etc. 

Edited by [Hu...]

36 minutes ago, [[m...] said:

I love the scale and it’s so accurate but I’m not stable and haven’t been in months. I’ve been using it for a week. I’m not sure if it’s going to make a difference or not at this point as I don’t know if accuracy is the issue or something else. I feel so sick it’s not even funny. Mentally I don’t know who I am and my gut hurts so bad that it makes my head spin. I tried a new brand when my old brand was backordered and it put my system into overdrive and caused a major setback. After six weeks I tried compounded liquid k and crashed even worse and haven’t recovered. I went back to my original pills but the damage was done. I have the most insane GI pain and benzo belly and my moods and emotions are all over the place. Scary is an understatement. But yes a scale is a must with lower doses with drugs like ours. 

I’m so sorry your going through that. Iv been trying to stabilize for 6 months and am most days completely debilitated by physical and mental symptoms. Lost my job, everything. I’m surprised I’m still alive to be honest. I’m here with ya and here if you ever need to talk.im going to buy a diff scale too but can’t afford the one you got. I talked to another member who got one for like 300$ so that’s the one I’m going to buy

Just now, [[H...] said:

Yes. Genetics. 

I did a DNA test for testing some SSRI's. This is what it said for Diazepam. Well, I'm going to try tomorrow anyway. 

But I must d, Clonazepam only uses CYP3A4, just like Ativan. So maybe that could be an option for you?

Scherm­afbeelding 2023-10-29 om 23.35.47.png

Goodluck! Yeah I’m at a relatively low dose of Ativan so I just can’t handle getting even 1% worse so I can’t risk it at this point. Thanks though! Hope all goes well with your switch! 

1 minute ago, [[M...] said:

Goodluck! Yeah I’m at a relatively low dose of Ativan so I just can’t handle getting even 1% worse so I can’t risk it at this point. Thanks though! Hope all goes well with your switch! 

Yes, I'll probably have to say a quick prayer before I pop that 2.5 mg Diazepam.

But on the topics of scales. I have a fairly simple one that was about 25 euro and has a 50gram testing weight and I have to say it is pretty accurate. I looks a bit like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Precision-Calibration-0-001grams/dp/B011J88S8M/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2B2XR2ZEE4LRZ&keywords=digital+scale+.001+gram+accuracy&qid=1698619400&sprefix=scale+00%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-9

5 minutes ago, [[H...] said:

Yes, I'll probably have to say a quick prayer before I pop that 2.5 mg Diazepam.

But on the topics of scales. I have a fairly simple one that was about 25 euro and has a 50gram testing weight and I have to say it is pretty accurate. I looks a bit like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Precision-Calibration-0-001grams/dp/B011J88S8M/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2B2XR2ZEE4LRZ&keywords=digital+scale+.001+gram+accuracy&qid=1698619400&sprefix=scale+00%2Caps%2C175&sr=8-9

I have this one. But once you get to a low-dose, you don’t know exactly where you’re at. Like I’m anywhere between 0.21 and 0.22 mg. For most people that wouldn’t matter but for me it does. So I need one that goes an extra decimal point

3 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

I have this one. But once you get to a low-dose, you don’t know exactly where you’re at. Like I’m anywhere between 0.21 and 0.22 mg. For most people that wouldn’t matter but for me it does. So I need one that goes an extra decimal point

Yes, I can see why that is irritating. Last year I came down from 2mg A to 0.74 and it was always a fight with the scale. Calibrating it again and again. When a breeze from outside came into the room the dials would go up and down. It was difficult.

• Like 1

Yeah, difference between .21 and .22 is like almost 5% so any given day you are swinging back and forth that amount, and that's assuming your scale is even accurate that day. My scale goes so accurate. Im at .161mg of K which in pill weight is .0562g, tonight i'm microtapering to .0561 which is like a 0.19% drop

• Like 1