Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Xanax tapering

[Je...]

I’m relieved @[Je...].  As for a timeline, I’m thinking as quickly as your symptoms will allow.  Professor Ashton tapered her patients at 1 mg towards the end of their tapers.  Many members have to slow down at the end but because you’ve been on it for a short time, maybe you can reduce by 1 mg. 

I’ve been thinking about your dosing schedule for the Ambien, it looks while you may not take the entire 12.5 mg in one dose, you are taking the entire dose within a few hours, so your dose per day is 12.5, would this correct? 

9 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Should I be nervous.  I truly believe I can do this. First Valium, than Ambien. 

It’s normal to be nervous, you’re inviting pain and who does that willingly and besides that, this process makes us nervous and fearful. 

1 hour ago, [[J...] said:

Question. I just got a steroid/cortisone injection in lower back. Can this affect benzodiazepine withdrawl? Thanks

Steroids have been known to cause reactions in members they haven’t experienced previously. 

Yeah man I think first things first, same time no matter what every day. You can adjust it to how you need it but the number of doses, and times you take em gotta be the same +-15-30 minutes everyday MAX. And go from there. You're having sporadic blood serum levels, which just causes more issues when trying to taper/withdrawal. I can say that with certainty at least. After just a day or two of this, you'll find out really at and go from there. A couple days in a same time routine, and your body will tell you all you need to know.  Sometimes, it can be hard to tell is it drug A that's causing this problem right now or is it drug B I need more/less of. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean. 

Thanks for the post Victor D. I will be sure to start this tomorrow for sure. Also, the Valium taper, 2mg tabs twice daily should be like,  if 10:00 at night than daytime dose 10:00 in the AM? 

17 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Thanks for the post Victor D. I will be sure to start this tomorrow for sure. Also, the Valium taper, 2mg tabs twice daily should be like,  if 10:00 at night than daytime dose 10:00 in the AM? 

Exactly. So for example, like for me, I struggle the most the moment I wake up, and need to be dosed to sleep. So I try to base my schedule around those times. I find that works the best for me. The most important thing is to stabilize all the inconsistencies you can so you can figure out exactly what is going on. That's what I've learned. My hospital stay actually made this make sense to me.... They had me on a 6 am 2pm 10 pm schedule. I wondered why, then I looked into it more after I got out. I changed it up some, but still have consistent times. But it needs to also be the same thing with the Ambien. However, many times you were taking that,amounts need to stay the same and times need to be the same. Even the gabapentin. Same time, even if all of them are on different hours, that doesn't matter, just the times do. Focus on just that for a few days instead of dropping milligrams and such. Once you get that down, then you can figure out going down. I did that, and it made dropping some doses a lot easier because you can tell EXACTLY where the issues are or if you aren't ready you know why you aren't ready and you'll know which doses you can pull from easier or which are harder. You'll learn a lot just by getting stuff consistent. 

Thanks again Victor. Boy, 1 year ago when I cam off 30mg ocy and 30mg hydro, I did do same amount same time, with drops weekly, but I have 1000"s of them, so if one day I was having a really bad withdrawl  I would just take  couple mg to subside the intense withdrawal.  Can that be done with Valium or Ambien. I am not saying just can't handle regular withdrawl, I am saying intense one like, jaw hurting, feeling terribly confused, can't think or focus. Is this acceptable to take a mg (sliver at this time to help keep sanity). It worked great when weaning off the opiates. Thanks.

Also. Is it ok to stop small amount of Ambien and instead ad something that is more safer and does not affect GABA. Like Tylenol PM. Or some marijuana.?

@[Je...], taking rescue doses won’t get you to where you want to be and will prolong your suffering.  As you reduce, your body is attempting to reverse the dysfunction the drug caused, if you supplement with the drug that caused the dysfunction, any progress you’ve made is reversed.  I know its a miserable process but there is no way out other than through.  

You can certainly supplement with other substances while you’re tapering the Ambien and Valium but results may be limited, not much can touch the insomnia and other symptoms created by these medications.  I haven’t read much about Tylenol PM but many have posted about cannabis.  Some find it useful, others seem to react negatively to it so start low and slow to find how you react. 

• Like 1

Thanks Pamster. I will stick with following weaning plan. No rescue doses. This is different than opiates for sure. Can't wait until it is over. So get off Valium first than taper off of Ambien, correct?  One other thing. A couple weeks back when this started my Psychiatrist mentioned in the future to transfer from Ambien to Doxepin. Ever heard or anybody out there have experience with Doxepin?

Edited by [Je...]

Yup. you're welcome. and I agree, Pam's spot on. I'd like to add tho IME 'rescue doses' can be tools (sometimes the body needs a break. sometimes can be used to pump nutrients back in for the rest of the detox, or get valuable sleep, say you've been up for 8 days straight (been there). etc., BUT used at all, is a slight set back no matter how you look at it. Most people don't have the discipline to only use it one time. or twice and it just ends up back to where they were....  Now, I actually can help with this part. I have the experience with the change from ambien to doxepin. From a treatment center in 2015, switching to another one out of state court ordered where ambien was still allowed at the first place, but the second place stripped it immediately. I was on 10mg nightly only though and had only been on it 6 months leading into that situation while detoxing off other things but wasn't planning to ditch that at the time.... but it was forced.  However, I actually remember the transition to not be that bad and rather to my surprise, wasn't a bad substitute. Then again, they had me on the phenobarbital protocol they we're using back then for benzo detox (long -acting barbiturate) so similar to the valium in a way. Regardless, I do remember it working for sleep. I used it for a total of like 3-4 months I believe at the time. I've been offered doxepin as well just recently by my new doctor, however this time I've turned it down because I'm still way too far away from that point where it matters and would just add another medication to the pot. Doxepin is actually an old tricyclic antidepressant with hypnotic and sedative properties. If they're wanting to go that route.... tbh this makes me wonder.... and think.. just maybe it would be in better interest to keep the valium at this point, taper the ambien first. That way, the transition to the doxepin will be way easier because you'd still have the valium to combat any of the issues from the Ambien/doxepin swap. This is only comparing it to the situation I experienced though... Because I clearly remember I still had phenobarbital in my system to combat the blow. (whatever blow there was that I never really experienced from the switch) It's no ambien in replacement, but does work for sleep if that's something you're contemplating, however, again, it's really an old-school anti-depressant that's used off-label for sleep. So there could be side effects from that, that you may or may not experience. Damn medicine and its complications... lol. 

Question. I am tapering from Valium now. 2mg twice daily, 10:30 am and 10:30 pm. Just so you know, which many of you do, I have also been taking Ambien for around 10 months. 12.6 mg. But I have weird schedule. I take 6.5mg at 11:00 PM, and than 1.5 mg at 4:30 am. And the rest 4.5mg at 3:00 PM. Now I already know my psychiatrist is not going to up my dose to stop the Ambien. In fact She started me on 5 mg couple weeks ago and after only 8 days dropped me to the 2mg twice daily. That was this past Wednesday.  First few days seemed fairly good, little worse withdrawls today. But her comment was you will have some minor withdrawls but will go away. Well, I know on here you don't like people quitting 2 meds at once. So question is the morning Ambien which is only 1.5 mg, would it be ok to take my 10:30 am 2 mg Valium and cut off 1/2 mg and take that at 4:30 am that way I could at least delete that Ambien dose. And than my 10:30 am Valium dose would be 1.5mg. I am just trying to delete some of the Ambien while I am getting some Valium. Weird thing is the Ambien helps withdrawls I am having more than the Valium. Thoughts? Also. My Xanax was only 5 weeks, 1/2 to 3/4 mg night. Since switching to the Valium my withdrawls are not nearly as bad, maybe a few times bad. Sure seems like most of my withdrawls are from the Ambien somehow. Especially the headaches, and plugged ears. I also get several heart palpitations and feeling like I need air. But I am still getting on  treadmill daily for 20 minutes and also working. When busy don't have the air problems as bad. Thanks. One more question. Anybody know anything that helps with the headaches?

Edited by [Je...]

@[Je...], I’m still in favor of you tapering the Valium first, I hate to see your body get anymore dependent on it but it seems like you’re inclined to use it to taper the Ambien as well?  If this is the case then you might want to give it a try.  We’re the subjects in this awful experiment and sometimes, that’s all we can do to find the right path.

Thanks Pam. No mam I don't want to use the Valium to taper off the Ambien. I am not going to taper all the Ambien now. I was only asking about the 1.5 mg I take 4 am. I would still be taking 10.5 mg of the Ambien at night. Trust me, I believe you , and won't stop all that Ambien now. And I don't want to yet. Until after the Valium. I am thinking positive and truly believe I can be off this Valium soon. I am sure I will go through some withdrawls, but who dont. Than I feel like I can wean off the Ambien. Just like I did those 70mg. Of opiates I did last year. 

Edited by [Je...]

I’m happy to hear you’re trying to be positive, and I’m hopeful this change will work for you.  

Your sleep schedule is seriously challenging.  With Ambien, at least while it’s still working for us, we can sleep on cue, take a pill and its lights out but getting free of it means insomnia and its going to be tough. 

4 hours ago, [[J...] said:

Question. I am tapering from Valium now. 2mg twice daily, 10:30 am and 10:30 pm. Just so you know, which many of you do, I have also been taking Ambien for around 10 months. 12.6 mg. But I have weird schedule. I take 6.5mg at 11:00 PM, and than 1.5 mg at 4:30 am. And the rest 4.5mg at 3:00 PM. Now I already know my psychiatrist is not going to up my dose to stop the Ambien. In fact She started me on 5 mg couple weeks ago and after only 8 days dropped me to the 2mg twice daily. That was this past Wednesday.  First few days seemed fairly good, little worse withdrawls today. But her comment was you will have some minor withdrawls but will go away. Well, I know on here you don't like people quitting 2 meds at once. So question is the morning Ambien which is only 1.5 mg, would it be ok to take my 10:30 am 2 mg Valium and cut off 1/2 mg and take that at 4:30 am that way I could at least delete that Ambien dose. And than my 10:30 am Valium dose would be 1.5mg. I am just trying to delete some of the Ambien while I am getting some Valium. Weird thing is the Ambien helps withdrawls I am having more than the Valium. Thoughts? Also. My Xanax was only 5 weeks, 1/2 to 3/4 mg night. Since switching to the Valium my withdrawls are not nearly as bad, maybe a few times bad. Sure seems like most of my withdrawls are from the Ambien somehow. Especially the headaches, and plugged ears. I also get several heart palpitations and feeling like I need air. But I am still getting on  treadmill daily for 20 minutes and also working. When busy don't have the air problems as bad. Thanks. One more question. Anybody know anything that helps with the headaches?

From what I know, I believe it would be fine to do this if I'm understanding correctly.. Would it work? I have no idea. It might be tricky to do considering Ambien is a fickle drug closely related to the benzodiazepine family, acts on the same receptors in the brain. Which is why its helping you. why I say it might be tricky is because its a super short acting drug with a 3 hr half life. In and out quick, which probably is why you were taking it as many times as you were because bottom line- it wears off super fast. Regardless, I agree with the consensus of you probably shouldn't get rid of both at the same time. It is a good thought to try to get number of doses down though depending on what the situation is and what ur docs want to. 

This morning is worst so far. Feeling heart palpitations, chest discomfort slight burning, air hunger, shortness of breath, sweating, fatigue, weakness, even jaw feels weird. Headaches, ears plugged.  Checked oxygen, it is 98, checked blood pressure 111/75. Pulse 75. Seems like all vitals are good. But just little walking around and I feel like I am having air hunger. Is this normal when weaning off benzos? I have read where most all these symptoms can be normal. Took my 2 mg of Valium at 10 am, did not help at all. Thoughts? Thanks. Jerry. 

Edited by [Je...]

All of your symptoms are normal, they aren’t life threatening but they sure feel like it.  I had an elephant sitting on my chest for months, it’s uncomfortable but common.

This is a miserable process, and you’re now in the thick of it, I just hope you can get off the Valium and recover in a decent time frame.  Short time users are typically looking at weeks and months to recover instead of months and years the long term users can expect.  

• Like 1

God your an Angel.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your kind words and replying to me when I make a new post. It helps inspire me. I am going to do this Pam. I just became a Grandpa for the first time 4 weeks ago. I need another 20 more years at least here on this earth. I am promising you these withdrawls are worse than Opiates, which I have come off of twice in past 13 years. Thank you again. Have a good evening. 

Congratulations on becoming a Grandpa, that’s so cool and what perfect motivation for getting healthy and being fully present in their life! 

I’ve heard from many members that benzodiazepines are more difficult to get off of and recover from than most every drug, they’re a powerful lesson and one I don’t want to repeat. 

I agree with @[ji...], you got this! :thumbsup: