Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Beginning Taper 1mg Klonopin after 40 yrs

[...]

Hello, starting a new thread in response to you. I hope I can navigate this site! As mentioned, I believe Iam in tolerance. I take 1mg Klonopin per day on average. But lately, it’s wearing off after a few hours and about once a week I have an extreme episode now, of panic, extreme anxiety, my brain feels like it will explode, numbness and tingling in my legs and chest, violent shaking, strange thoughts and visions. What next?? Aagh! 
Thank you! 

Hi @[...], thanks for starting a new thread but its important you mention the 3 TIA’s you’ve had and the fact your neurologist isn’t in favor of you discontinuing the medication, can we discuss that before we talk about a taper?  Would you care to share your age with us?

Can you share with us how long ago these occurred and what your neurologist bases his belief that your brain can’t take a taper, do they have a good working knowledge of benzodiazepine withdrawal and recovery?

Hello again.. yes, the 3 TIA’s were approximately 13-14 yrs ago. Yes, my neurologist said” you cannot go off this at this time, your brain can’t handle it”. That’s all he said and I don’t know if he’s familiar with withdrawal and recovery. I am in my 60’s. 

Hi @[...] and welcome to BB.

It does sound like tolerance to Klonopin after reading your post. What did you originally start taking Klonopin for? Who prescribes it to you.......PCP or Neurologist? Were you put on other medicines after the TIAs?