Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Reinstate to stabilize?

[Jl...]

Is it ever recommended to reinstate to stabilize? I’ve never stabilized during my taper. It’s been 10 months and I’ve been off for 43 days. I had discovered I was in tolerance. I asked my doctor how to taper and he told me I could just stop taking them. I made it 12 days and reinstated. Went back and he told me to taper it over 6 weeks. I made it 3 days off and found a benzo group. Someone there that day told me to go back on half of my original dose. From there I tapered correctly but never could stabilize. I was prescribed 1mg Klon twice a day for 9 years for anxiety caused by Hashimoto’s. I’m stuck in my home and bed bound. What should I do? 

Edited by [Jl...]

I’m sorry to hear you’re bed bound but I believe your best course of action is to see this through, you’ve already tried reinstatement twice with the same result. 

It takes a long time to recover and at 43 days you’re still very early in recovery but you’re benzo free and that’s whats important, every day means you’re that much closer to recovery. 

There are preferred methods for tapering yes, but making mistakes doesn’t mean you won’t recover.  I made every mistake in the book, I quit Klonopin cold turkey then started taking Ambien and quit that cold turkey and recovered in the normal time frame.  Our body knows how to repair the damage the drug has done to it, we just need to get out of the way and let it happen.

I

9 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

I’m sorry to hear you’re bed bound but I believe your best course of action is to see this through, you’ve already tried reinstatement twice with the same result. 

It takes a long time to recover and at 43 days you’re still very early in recovery but you’re benzo free and that’s whats important, every day means you’re that much closer to recovery. 

There are preferred methods for tapering yes, but making mistakes doesn’t mean you won’t recover.  I made every mistake in the book, I quit Klonopin cold turkey then started taking Ambien and quit that cold turkey and recovered in the normal time frame.  Our body knows how to repair the damage the drug has done to it, we just need to get out of the way and let it happen.

im in a constant state of terror and I am now tachycardic. I don’t know if im really going to live through this. My little girls think I am dying and they are scared to death too. Im so sick that I can’t hide it.

Have you discussed your tachycardia with your doctor?  Have you eliminated caffeine, are you doing breathing exercises to help calm you, have you tried fatal maneuvers?  

I know its miserable but this is your only way out, going back to the drug didn’t work so pushing through these symptoms is your path to freedom.

Do you have family who can help with your daughters, can you help calm their fears by telling them you’re sick right now but you’re working on getting better? 

Being back in the med did help but then I went down hill again and soon as I tapered. I’ve got my mom and a neighbor helping out a little. I cannot believe I am this mentally and physically sick. I’m in a whole different il universe as everyone around me. It’s TERRIFYING

57 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

im in a constant state of terror and I am now tachycardic. I don’t know if im really going to live through this. My little girls think I am dying and they are scared to death too. Im so sick that I can’t hide it.

You mentioned you were in tolerance, this was why you tapered in the first place, I don’t see how that’s sustainable so going back on will lead you right back here.

I’m glad you have help, this is like any other injury, we need help while going through it.  Can you fake it for your girls?

I can’t unfortunately. I’m not functional. They are used to me playing with them all of the time, coaching their ball team, and taking them everywhere I go. I have agoraphobia along with dp/dr, akathisia, and hallucinating now plus all the other crap symptoms. By the way, I’m new in this platform so it’s taking a bit for me to understand how to navigate it.   

You sound like a wonderful mom, I’m sorry this is so hard on you and them.  

As for the new platform, I’m still trying to learn it too, we made the software switch in July so it’s still pretty new but you’re doing great.  If you have questions, you can post them on the Feedback and Technical Support forum. 

I’m responding to your PM here @[Jl...], I can see you’re in a terrible place and if you feel reinstating is your best option to be able to function, then that’s certainly something you should consider.  Do you have a doctor willing to prescribe the medication?  How quickly do you typically reach tolerance and would it give you enough time to prepare your family for the next taper?