Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Can Zolpidem worsen wd´s from Valium?

[Zi...]

Hi everybody,

my situation is quite similar to @[Pa...]…and maybe others. I ask for your opinion what to do.

I tapered off off Valium a month ago. The taper was long, I tapered off off AD Amitriptyline, AP Tisercin and Diazepam within 3plus years. 

Now I am free from all psychdrugs but one-Zolpidem, that I started a year ago through my divorce. My dose was 5mg, then I made several changes (the dose was most days between 2-7mg). 

Since I quit Valium I started systematic taper of Zolpidem. My current dose is 3mg (1,5mg when I go to bed around 8pm and next 1,5mg when I wake up during the night - don ´t know time as I don ´t check hours not to get stressed). 

I have been very dizzy for last 6 months. Previously I came off off Diazepam without dizziness (but the situation was different because those times I was still on Amitriptylin). 

I have severe headaches everyday. And hitamine intolerance (I developed during Amitriptyline taper). 

My daily patterb is usually the same every day - in the morning anxiety, headaches start somewhere around 9-10am and are even worse as day proceeds. I must take rest in bed, dark around midday. I don ´t fall asleep but at least it helps me tu survive afternoon.

It takes me around 1-2 hours to fall asleep in the evening. So it is obvious that Zolpidem doesn ´t help me to fall asleep. Neither during night, it is much psychical help that quiets me during panic in the middle of the night. 

My question is following. Can Zolpidem be the culprit of my troubles with headaches and dizziness? Would you recommend to finish Zolpidem taper as soon as possible and let the body finally heal (after 7years of being pollydrugged)?

If quit the Zolpidem then how? Would 3mg of Zolpidem I take now be ok to quit CT?

Thank you for your help.  

Hi @[Zi...], your routine sounds miserable, I’m sorry you’re suffering.  I didn’t have dizziness or headaches but these medications affects each of us so differently, we can’t say if your symptoms are being caused by the Zolpidem or not buy it seems like a good place to start.  If you eliminate that, and give yourself some time to recover, I hope you’ll have your answer.

Professor Ashton suggested that 20 mgs Zolpidem is roughly equivalent to 10 mgs Valium and she tapered her patients off at 1 mg Valium so I’d say you’re safe to jump off the Zolpidem if you feel inclined.  If you’re concerned, you could use the next two weeks to finish your taper but I believe the sooner you get off the Zolpidem, the sooner you’ll get to full recovery. 

@[Pa...] thank you so much. Nobody can tell what causes what.. I know we are all different and side effectsnof the drugs can influence different people in a different way. 
I am willing to start my full healing by coming off off the last drug in my portfolio. 

• Like 1

Just to let others know. I decided to quit Zolpidem from the dose 3mg. My last Zolpidem night was 10th October. Since 11th October I am free from Zolpidem!

Night one - 4 hours of sleep, night two - 4-5 hours of very broken sleep, night three 6 hours of interrupted sleep, night four 8 hours of broken sleep … till today I haven ´t have a night without any sleep 🙏  

I know that my body CAN sleep without any meds. It will take time to have refreshing sleep again but now I am no more scared from that .

Dizziness and headaches are almost gone! They deffinitelly were side effects of Zolpidem rather than wd´s from Diazepam .

• Like 1

Oh my goodness @[Zi...], you just made my day!!  Thank you for coming back to let us know how you’re doing, this is wonderful news!  Isn’t it great to find out your body knows what to do, how to sleep?  I’m so happy for you, and happy to hear the nasty side effects from the Ambien have left too! :clap:

• Like 1

@[Pa...] yes… this is so BIG issue for me… after 7years of chemical sleep I do sleep naturally. It is far from optimal, but I DO SLEEP without any poisons. That is what I was told by doctors a few years ago:”You will never be without drugs. You will need them till the end of your life!”

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

hey @[Zi...]

how are you today? did you recover fully and quickly? i am on 0,9mg zolpidem still and i just have issues with anxiety and depression after i CT’d an antidepressant back in august and i dont understand if the zolpidem should be dropped asap or tapered super slow so would be great to hear how it went for you after being polydrugged previously and dropping it 2 months on

best,