Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help with taper please

[Mu...]

Hello everyone, im new to this forum and my original post is on another forum explaining what has happened to me 

Just quickly - i was prescribed x7 1mg Lorazepam tablets for flying in June, when i came back i started to have intrusive thoughts in my sleep and couldnt sleep for x3 days. I ended up in a mental health respite facility where i was placed on Ativan 1-2mgs for 2 weeks. Then prescribed more Ativan post discharge. 

I am being looked after now by my GP and it has been 3mths and i cant stop taking the Ativan and a feel alot of guilt around this. 

I am on .5mg per day but some days i feel like i need to take more and this is not a good sign. 

I am open to suggestions around how to tackle this please? 

Thank you 

• Like 1

Hello @[Mu...] Welcome to Benzo Buddies; we're glad you're here. I have many questions but want to start by saying - you're in the right place and we're here to support you! Hang in there. 

We and our fellow members can certainly help you with some taper suggestions/plan. I'm going to tag @[je...] in this conversation who helped me with my taper plan over a year ago.  (I also want to share with you that I became dependent upon Benzos as a result of fear of flying/flying phobia. I truly understand all that comes with this!)

Jelly and I both will have some clarifying questions for you in order to reply in more detail. 

Can you please confirm the following: (Just getting our facts/details straight):

-You started taking Lorazepam for flying in June. How long/how many days/months did you take the 1 mg of Lorazopam?

-Did you take the Lorazepam consecutively? Or were there days you did not take it?

-At what point were you placed in the Mental Health Facility in proximity to your Lorazam use? (For example, did you take Lorazopam for three days, then immediately to the Mental Health facility? Or, did you take Lorazopam for one month, then to the Mental Health Facility?)

-When were you discharged from the Mental Health Facility?

-Are you currently taking the 1 mg of Ativan consistently every day? Are there days you take more? 

-What other symptoms are you having in addition to intrusive thoughts? (If those are continuing?)

I know this is a lot of questions but it's all important in order to get an idea of where you're at on your journey so we can help. Also - if you could update your 'about' section in your profile with these details that would be helpful. We will reply in more detail when we have your responses. 

Thank you for your kind response 

1 Initially took half a mg to test it out with no issues 

the morning we flew out i took 1mg and took it throughout our trip with the last taken when we flew back (7 pills in total)

a few days after returning - i had no more lorazepam left, i had intrusive thoughts in my sleep out of nowhere then couldn't sleep hence i went to see my GP who commenced Lexapro - 5mgs i was taking and not long after i  ended up in respite care again due to intrusive thoughts and lack of sleep 

i spent two weeks in respite care where i was taking 1-2mg lorazepam consistently with my anti-depressant and seroquel 

i am currently taking .5mg per day and at times take a little bit more up to 1mg which is worrying me as it appears ive become tolerant to .5mg 

i have churning stomach, poor sleep and appetite at times 

PS Im heading out as im at work - ill answer anymore questions you have

Thanks for the info @[Mu...]. Can you describe your symptoms? Why do you feel the need to take a higher dose? (I'm not asking because I'm judging, I'm only asking so I can understand your symptoms and how it's impacting your functionality).

Can I also ask you if you wouldn't mind to update your history please (as per the post below) to include all meds and taper history? If you look at my mine, you'll get an idea of what we're looking for.

Its okay to ask thanks for clarifying 

I think its because i dont like the content of my original thoughts and am weary that they will comeback if i dont take a higher dose 

This is the first time ive been on a benzo, im guessing by taking more im doing more harm then good? 

Ill try my best to stick to .5mg from now on and hopefully the anti-depressant will help 

im also on a beta blocker to help with the physical symptoms of anxiety 

I will fill in the history as soon as i get home

4 hours ago, [[M...] said:

I think its because i dont like the content of my original thoughts and am weary that they will comeback if i dont take a higher dose

If I look at your history it seems as if your intrusive thoughts occured prior to regular benzo use. I'm not convinced this is a sign of tolerance. Often withdrawal symptoms can make pre-existing conditions worse - it targets our vulnerable areas. It might also be that your anxiety around these thoughts are actually fuelling them. 

It's best to stick to a consistent dose rather than fluctuating -  especially if you want to taper. The fact that you were able to take it down to 0.5mg and you're functioning is a very good sign. Do you feel stable at this dose, i.e. you are able to work, and do what is expected of you, you are not necessarily feeling good or great, but you can function?

thank you for your insight it makes sense 

.5mg i feel is just holding me so i can continue to work - i cant afford to lose my job having a mortage and 7yo child to support 

some days ive taken an extra .25 and i feel and function better, however, im aware im skating on dangerous territory and will need to be honest about this with my GP when i see her next. im disappointed in myself for fluctuating my dose to be transparent 

i am going to see a naturopath tomorrow to see if he can help me 

ive also been referred to our drug and alcohol services here who will most likely counsel me to stop the lorazepam completely 

If you feel stable at this dose, then I think you can make a cut. I know you've been on for a fairly short time, but the fact that you seem to need a higher dose and you are concerned about losing your job, make me err on the side of caution, so I would suggest rather going slowly than attempting bigger cuts. You can probably start with a 10% cut and see how that goes? Unless you feel you want to go quicker and try bigger cuts because of your short term use? It really depends on what you feel comfortable with.