Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Torso back spasms twisting jerks

[Gi...]

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie.

I have a twisting pulling painful torso with muscle tightness moving from torso to back and cage that started in April after literally 14 pills between Zoplicone and Zolpidem. It doesn’t let up, it is a relentless and stubborn symptoms and I’m hopeless, I don’t know what to do.

I can’t even read for too long because my torso just seizes up and tenses up.

Can people who experienced these symptoms and then improved chime in to give me hope? 

Thank you 🙏

Giuliana

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  Glad you are here!  This forum primarily deals with benzo withdrawal and recovery, but there are lots of members who have experience withdrawing from a Z-drug!

If I am reading this correctly you took 14 pills, and after April 2023 did not take anymore?

Why were you taking two different hypnotics? Were you struggling with insomnia?  I am just trying to fill in the blanks.

Hi Decatur, thank you for your response. I stopped escitalopram in January with a quick tapering and developed insomnia as well as other symptoms. The X drugs were prescribed to me for insomnia.

Hello @[Gi...], I’m sorry to hear about this awful symptom, I’ve read of other members having this too but they were on the drug longer than you.  Can you tell me if you took more of the Zopiclone or the Zolpidem, or was it about equal?

Do you believe you have any symptoms from your escitalopram withdrawal or are you pretty sure your symptoms are being caused by the z-drugs?

Have you seen your doctor, if so, do they concur your symptoms are from the discontinuation of the z-drugs?  Most in the medical field aren’t benzo wise so no surprise if they don’t understand what is causing what. 

Hi Pamster,

it was slightly more of the zolpidem I think. The symptoms that I mentioned appeared at one point in April. 

I’m honestly not sure what caused what but I don’t think it was the AP as I have never experienced them before even when I was va on it.

I have seen lots of doctors and neurologists and they are clueless as you know. One of them said she has never come across this before, another one said movement disorders have been documented but in the ‘small prints’ (well because big pharma made sure that it was not emphasised). I also have internal vibrations, TMJ, widespread pain Nd neuropathy in my fingers. 

@[Gi...], I’m glad you’ve seen doctors to rule out anything more serious but the other symptoms you’ve listed definitely sound like withdrawal symptoms and we have members who are suffering with movement disorders due to these medications. 

Have you taken benzodiazepines or z-drugs before?

Hi Pamster, thank you for your responses.

I’m in terrible pain atm and seem to be getting worse I don’t know why. From your experience being a mod here do you think my symptoms are recoverable?

Thank you for your support

Giuliana

Hi @[Gi...],  I’m sorry to hear its so bad today, Professor Ashton talks about benzo’s being good muscle relaxers and when we stop taking them, our muscles complain.  Remember our symptoms can wax and wane with no reason, we never know from one minute to the next how we’re going to feel.  Stress is particularly bad for us, have you had any extra stress heaped on you lately? 

I know Zopiclone is classified as a non-benzodiazepine, but from what I’ve seen from members who have used it, it’s potential to cause greater withdrawal symptoms mimicking benzodiazepines in severity is well documented. 

All of this being said, I do believe you can recover from your symptoms, I just wish we knew when. 

• 4 months later...

Hi @[pe...] @[Sk...] @[fl...] @[Mu...]@[pi...] 

I have the torso/abdomen tightness and squeezing. 

Could you provide me with some positive feedback on whether this symptom is improving for you fellow sufferers?

Mine is a little milder and comes and goes in level of severity but always there particularly when I sit down.

If I exercise my abs then these muscles tighten up even more afterwards. 

Peace and healing to you all ❤️

Edited by [Gi...]

On 09/10/2023 at 11:30, [[G...] said:

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie.

I have a twisting pulling painful torso with muscle tightness moving from torso to back and cage that started in April after literally 14 pills between Zoplicone and Zolpidem. It doesn’t let up, it is a relentless and stubborn symptoms and I’m hopeless, I don’t know what to do.

I can’t even read for too long because my torso just seizes up and tenses up.

Can people who experienced these symptoms and then improved chime in to give me hope? 

Thank you 🙏

Giuliana

I have extreme muscle twitching, 24/7 , myoclonic jerking mostly in bed or at rest.  I cannot sleep getting electric zaps and involuntary muscle contractions all over. Imo insomnia, or polydruged w sleep meds and gut meds. I am not well and neuros and Dr cannot help. I'm in Klonopin for sleep which is not working now and I feel it's related. Sorry you are going thru this. We are suffering so badly. 

Edited by [oc...]
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
[re...]

I would do as much stretching as your body allows. Real slow and light at first and then more intense as time goes on. I am sure there are lots of people here with exceptional computer use  and this alone to me can cause all kinds of tension and muscle/cervical issues. But with the damage that has been done from the meds it is even MORE crucial we care for ourselves in an exceptional way. And this means stepping away from the computer every half hour and doing some stretching,.

Also make sure you are getting tons of water intake and electrolytes throughout the day. Your strained drug dysregulated muscles will thank you.  This war on salt is so sad to me. Salt is such a crucial mineral and if you are drinking lots of fluids then you need salt. Also potassium, Magnesium, Calcium. 

• Like 2