Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering off

[me...]

I’m currently tapering off of benzo’s. Im down to 2mg of diazepam. My anxiety is high. I need new friends who understand what I’m going through. 

Hello @[me...] and welcome to Benzo Budfies! We’re very glad you found us. There is a lot of good information and support available here.

Why don’t you give us a little more information so we can address your unique situation. What dose of diazepam did you start with? How long have you been tapering and what plan are you using?

We do understand what you are going through, it really helps to know you are not alone in this process. Anxiety is common during withdrawal, developing coping tools like distraction techniques really helped me.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

pianogirl :smitten:

I was prescribed Xanax in my 20’s. I’d get them prescribed by 100 in a bottle taken as needed. 3mg a day was my normal (sometimes it was more). Later in my 30’s (I’m 37 now) doctor’s didn’t want to prescribe it anymore after I was already hooked. It was hard to get anyone who would help with tapering me off. Finally I found a psychiatrist that helped. I’m now down to .25 of diazepam a day. No one knew or knows my struggle with it.  Til this day my family and friends don’t know. I’m the one who helps everyone out. Not the one who needs help. My dad was recently hospitalized, my anxiety is really high 

I’m so sorry to hear about your dad. Stress like this can bring on anxiety, more so for someone with a fragile nervous system going through withdrawal.

Additionally, sometimes things can get a little rougher towards the end of the taper, and you are there. 

I also kept my withdrawal private because I had a fairly public personality in my community. We all have to do what is best for our circumstances. 

Have you tried breathing techniques for anxiety? I never really had anxiety and panic until I was put on benzos. Controlled deep belly breathing helped me. I also a bag of tricks of distraction tools to use as well, puzzles games, crossword puzzles to name a few.

Thank you for saying I’m at the end of my tapering. No one notices that kind of stuff. To me it’s monumental. When I’m feeling anxious it feels like I’m right at the beginning.

You did it without? You inspire that I can do this 

Just now, [[m...] said:

Thank you for saying I’m at the end of my tapering. No one notices that kind of stuff. To me it’s monumental. When I’m feeling anxious it feels like I’m right at the beginning.

You did it without? You inspire that I can do this 

You can do this @[me...]! You’ve come a long way and you are close to being benzo free. In my opinion in we’ll worth the effort!

This morning I had a panic attack. Instead of going for the benzo‘s I did some breathing techniques. Afterwards I fell asleep exhausted. I didn’t accomplish any work around the house… that makes me feel guilty. Did you go through that? 

12 hours ago, [[m...] said:

This morning I had a panic attack. Instead of going for the benzo‘s I did some breathing techniques. Afterwards I fell asleep exhausted. I didn’t accomplish any work around the house… that makes me feel guilty. Did you go through that? 

I’m so glad the breathing helped! I think it’s a very good thing that you’re body gave into the need for rest and you slept. Don’t feel guilty about work, during withdrawal and recovery my plan was, why do something today that you can’t put off until tomorrow! :)

Today was rough. I had to take Valium again. I took .25 in the morning and .25 in the afternoon. I feel like a failure and like I’ll never get through this. I don’t want to feel like this anymore. I’m trying to keep in mind that I need to stop being so hard on myself. I came from taking 3mg of alprazolam a day. Also- I’ve been through a miscarriage, loss of a job, and my dad’s health issues all within months. Someone please send me hope. 

@[me...] How are you doing with your taper since your last post?

Are you feeling any better? That was wise of you to taper with Valium. I wish I had done that instead of just going straight off Xanax. 

Please keep the forum posted how you are coming along.

Take care. 

• 2 weeks later...

@[Gr...] Hi! Sorry I took so

long for an update. Some days are harder than others. I am currently completely off. I have some withdrawal symptoms still…. Insomnia, dizziness, lightheaded, night sweats, headaches, and the scariest one for me is my speech … sometimes I can’t get out what I have to say. I start stuttering, like someone who’s nervous. My first language is Spanish, I find that speaking Spanish is easier for me (not sure why because I learned English in kindergarten. I’m 38 now) maybe it’s because it’s the language I’m most comfortable with? I’m not sure. Things that help are … breathing techniques, holding something cold to distract me, sour candy also helps me distract, and practicing saying nice things to myself. It’s so easy for me to be hard on myself, now I see that it’s time to give myself grace. Sorry this is so song long. It feels good to talk about what I’m going through. Thank you! How are you? What’s your journey? 

May I ask how you get a dose of .25 Valium.....I just was prescribed 2 mg as part of my taper/crossover and they are capsules, not tablets....hard to get smaller....