Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Anyone having experienced both Neurontin (gabapentin) w/d and Benzo w/d - and having deja vu experiences?

[Ze...]

In 2012 I was prescribed Neurontin (gabapentin). I started on 300 mg but was eventually prescribed as much as 3600 mg per day (900 mg 4 times per day). I had chronic pelvic pain and could barely walk for 6 months, hence the prescription. Long story short, over time I would discover that Neurontin - while being really effective in masking pain - also had a number of side effects which made me into someone I am not (agreessive, hyperactive, developed severe anorexia and became a shadow of myself). This made me reduce the dose significantly, alhough I didn´t taper in a conscious way. One day in august 2016 I decided to finally stop altogether. I was then at a dose of 300 to 600 mg per day and didn´t know anything about w/d symptoms or even that it was possible to have this. I was very "medication-naiive". 

Looking back though, I see that the w/d-symptoms I am having now, after going cold turkey off Diazepam, are VERY similar to the symptoms I was having coming off Neurontin in 2016 - and it took me several years to recover fully. I didn´t know it back then, because at the time I was having severe anorexia and everyone and their grandmother was telling me that the horrible gastric pain (bloating, distention, food sensitivities) and dizziness, floatey-boatey-feeling, pins and needles, tight musles, insomnia, light sensitivity etc was caused by the anorexia, and I bought into it. I remember researching Neurontin on my own and seeing that others were having the same symptoms I experienced, but I let myself be gaslighted into believing that everything had to do with my anorexia and if only I ate everything would be fine. I can assure you I ate and I was NOT fine. It took years to improve (I estimate I fully recovered from Neurontin w/d i 2019).

I am just wondering if anyone else have the same experience or a similar experience of the w/d symptoms of these two drugs being similar? From what I understand, Neurontin does not work directly on the GABA-system (?) like benzos do, but I can´t stop thinking that there must be something going on with the metabolizing of Neurontin that the researchers have yet to pick up on. 

Hello - I was prescribed pregabalin (another gabapentoid) and had a complete nightmare too.  They are known as mini-benzos and affect the CNS in a similar way.   I was bedridden for over a year with withdrawals after a low dose over 3 months, then prescribed lorazepam to ‘help’ those symptoms.  I am now 1 year off everything (2 years in all) and starting to recover.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Hello - I was prescribed pregabalin (another gabapentoid) and had a complete nightmare too.  They are known as mini-benzos and affect the CNS in a similar way.   I was bedridden for over a year with withdrawals after a low dose over 3 months, then prescribed lorazepam to ‘help’ those symptoms.  I am now 1 year off everything (2 years in all) and starting to recover.  

So good to read that you are starting to recover, and I´m sorry you too had to experience this. The name mini-benzos really hits the nail on the head when it comes to my own experience. 

7 minutes ago, [[Z...] said:

So good to read that you are starting to recover, and I´m sorry you too had to experience this. The name mini-benzos really hits the nail on the head when it comes to my own experience. 

Yes - absolutely.   Hang in there - the CNS always recovers it just needs time.