Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Nitrazepam - 8 months

[Jo...]

Hi Everyone. 
I am 21 y/old nurse! I have been taking 2.5mg Nitrazepam for sleep for the past 8 months. I want to stop taking this medication quickly! 
I haven’t been abusing this - just same dose every night. Can I go cold turkey? Am I at risk of seizure if I do? I would like to stop as quickly as I can. Any advice would be really really appreciated! Please! 

Hello @[Jo...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

As far as I know, 5mg is the only dose available. Are you halving 5mg tablets for your 2.5mg dose? Have you tried dividing the tablets into quarters?

I would suggest not stopping cold turkey. It is generally better to aim for an intermediate dose 1.25mg (a quarter of a 5mg tablet). If you have not already attempted a taper (and failed), the expectation should be that you will manage your withdrawal without too much difficulty. But mileage varies greatly.

So, my suggestion is to cut to 1.25mg for a couple of weeks. And if that goes OK, then quit. But, you should discuss your withdrawal (and my suggestions) with your doctor or pharmacist.

If you find that 1.25mg reductions to dose are too difficult, there are other options available. Such as obtaining a compounded prescription, or some home-spun methods to reduce the drug more gradually. We can discuss those options in more detail if and when they become applicable.