Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

I need help with understanding GABA and how heal the receptors.

[Jo...]

Hi, I am recovering from taking klonopin for 1 year and a half. I was told by someone on here that was enough to have dependency on the drug. I have been trying to look up and understand what I need do to heal my GABA receptors that klonopin damage. I have been on multiple websites I found very hard to understand. For example I have been taking vitamin B complex to help increase my Gaba but I don’t know if that’s the right thing to do or not. Also I have been experiencing very severe muscle stiffness I am just wondering will this go away?

Hi @[Jo...], as I understand it, you’re still taking Klonopin, is this correct?  If you are, then the only way to get your receptors back to normal function would be to discontinue the drug to allow your body to do the necessary repairs to get your body back in balance. 

Taking supplements and other medications can be tricky, they sometimes cause problems they wouldn’t normally because our central nervous system is highly sensitive when we’re tolerant to, withdrawing from or recovering from our use. 

Muscle stiffness is common when withdrawing from benzodiazepines because they’re such a good muscle relaxer, so if you’re tolerant to your current dose, this could account for it but we don’t have any way of knowing if this is the case.  If it is caused by the drug, then it should go away if you discontinue the drug and recover from your use. 

If we look at what the brain/neurons are made of. Its about 10-15% omega 3(EPA and DHA from fish oil) and saturated fat from animal products, water, some proteins and antioxidants. I would increase my consumption of all those. But I would also do other things to improve my gut as the gut brain axis is important. I started to do those things and within 8 monts i started to feal alot better.

I would at the same time give the diet enough time to work, and by that I mean a year or even more time. All the best to you and May you have a speedy recovery.

Benzodiazepines is what damaged our central nervous system, as well as all the Gaba receptors. The only way we’re truly going to heal is to rid or self of this horrible drug. I had literally got to almost a vegetable like state in constant torture. I’m now 13 months, benzo, free and drug free and I can see improvement from a week to week basis it’s slow, but I am healing and I’m grateful for that. U2 will heal in time. I suggest a slow taper many here on the website will be able to help you more with that. Wishing you the best in your recovery message me anytime you feel like you need to.

I agree with the comments that your system will have a chance to heal once you're completely off the drug.  But I also want to mention that if I were in your shoes I would be careful about taking a B complex. Benzodiazepine Information Coalition says there is an association between exposure to benzos and vulnerability to B6 toxicity.  We have an Alternative Treatments group here you may want to check out too.

Hi @[Jo...],

If your GABAA receptors have been downregulated through extended use of a benzodiazepine, then these receptors have to heal. If you're still taking the benzo, you must get off it safely for this to happen. If you're off, all you can do is wait, and try your best to exercise and eat healthy. You may consider looking up foods rich in BDNF (Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor), which is involved in created new brain cells and neuronal pathways. No amount of GABA will help when your GABA receptors are not allowing GABA to potentiate them (make them work). We do not have a GABA shortage; instead, the GABA we have cannot be used.

• Love 2

I'm trying to figure this out too, Coming off what was once 24mgs a day of clonazepam has became a nightmare.  And it's so random at times, I'm down to 1.25mgs and it's been now 6 weeks since I last dropped my dose down, I was doing alright then Wednesday last week got nailed with intense anxiety thays not really let up now since, and it's got me wondering why... I mean I've been through the wringer with this tapering now for the last 4.5 years.. it sometimes feels like I'm a prisoner in my own body and no one else understands (aside from the people on here) I try vitamins and supplements but as some mentioned those ein itself can be iffy cuz our CNS are so kinda haywire. The only way I think they'll gwt better os once we're off 100% and our bodies heal naturally 

Update Oct 11

It has been seven days after my last dose. I have been experiencing weird sensations all over my body. Certain limb will just go numb out of nowhere like my hands and feet. I am still experiencing muscle stiffness, hopefully this gets more mild as time goes on. I also muscle spasms all over my body. I have been using medications like Cyclobenzaprine to help with muscle stiffness and Amitriptyline for sleep. I hope these medications don’t interfere with anything?

Your symptoms sound typical, but miserable we know.  I’m not familiar with your medications, but the only substances I know that can interfere with your recovery are benzodiazepines, z-drugs and alcohol.  

Symptoms will wax and wane so don’t be discouraged if you feel better one minutes only to feel worse the next, our recovery isn’t linear. 

Thank you so much for the encouragement Pamster.😄

I know I sound like a very impatient person, but I have been roaming around this website and I have read some stuff that scared me. Like people saying that they’re 8 years out and still recovering from benzos. Now I don’t know what benzos they were taking and how many milligrams. Some people have been taking this stuff for decades when I only took it for 1 and half years. Does any body have an estimate of recovery of 1 and half years of taking klonopin? Sorry for asking this question  I need reassurance for my family and friends as well.

Extra Information 

The highest dose I was on was 3mg, but I didn’t take 3mg every day I took every now and then. I did this just to give me an extra boost. I mainly was taking 2 mg a day. 

We’re all impatient, and who wouldn’t be when our suffering is so intense physically, mentally and emotionally?  

Personally I see the biggest indicator of prolonged suffering being caused by length of time on the drug, this is also backed up by reputable sources, if you need links I can dig some up. After that, we don’t really know, we guess at general health, genetics, previous use, alcohol dependence, other conditions and diagnosis’s, but its all just guesswork.

I wish I could tell you definitively when your suffering will end but from what I’ve observed, its typically between 1 and 2 years for full recovery for those who have taken the drug for longer than a few months.  This doesn’t mean you’ll suffer this level of intensity for that long, the improvements will happen but they’ll be almost imperceptible, so slight, it would behoove you to write them down along with their severity.  I wish I would have done this because my poor sick brain kept telling me I wasn’t improving when I was, its all part of the benzo lies. 

• Like 2

Does anybody know if having muscle stiffness just on the left side of your body is normal? I been having days where the muscle stiffness is unbearable.

Benzodiazepines are great muscle relaxers so most of us feel discomfort when we reduce or stop taking them and having one side hurt is very common.  Some have pain on the right side, others the left, its really strange. 

What’s rough for me is the fact that it is on the bottom half of my body. I can’t sit down! If it was just my upper body I would be fine. I have also been taking Cyclobenzaprine to help, but I am little concerned that this might be making it worse.

That sounds miserable @[Jo...], I’m sure it’s difficult to get comfortable but what am I saying, we’re never comfortable while going through this.  I just googled Cyclobenzaprine, it doesn’t look like it would be a problem but that’s what we thought about benzo’s too.  

I know, I’m no help but sometimes we just need to talk to someone who understands. :mybuddy:

• Like 1

On 03/10/2023 at 10:32, [[h...] said:

Hi @[Jo...],

If your GABAA receptors have been downregulated through extended use of a benzodiazepine, then these receptors have to heal. If you're still taking the benzo, you must get off it safely for this to happen. If you're off, all you can do is wait, and try your best to exercise and eat healthy. 

In agreement 100%. 👍

Try to exercise (mild aerobic mainly and a little resistance or strength training) if you can and eat as healthy as you possibly can.  You may or may not be able to sleep during and after w/d but get as much sleep as you possibly can. These three things are the building blocks for a natural, healthy CNS. As you move further away from the drug once off, your tolerance for exercise should improve and natural sleep (both quality and quantity) should also get better. Other bothersome SXs like the muscle stiffness should slowly start to resolve with time and doing the optimal self-care things mentioned above.

• Like 2

Thank you, Pamster and Antibenzo7 for helping me out. I have been going to physical therapy and made better for choices. I do have some food sensitivities that I was aware of way before I was taking k. So there is no telling how bad it is now.

Edited by [Jo...]
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 06:59, [[J...] said:

Update Oct 11

It has been seven days after my last dose. I have been experiencing weird sensations all over my body. Certain limb will just go numb out of nowhere like my hands and feet. I am still experiencing muscle stiffness, hopefully this gets more mild as time goes on. I also muscle spasms all over my body. I have been using medications like Cyclobenzaprine to help with muscle stiffness and Amitriptyline for sleep. I hope these medications don’t interfere with anything?

As long as you’re tolerating those medications fine, you should be ok.  Neither interact with GABA receptors. 

The only caution with Cyclobenzaprine is that muscle relaxers generally aren’t recommended for longer than a few weeks.  But, I would ask a doctor about that. 

Edited by [dj...]

On 02/10/2023 at 19:06, [[L...] said:

If we look at what the brain/neurons are made of. Its about 10-15% omega 3(EPA and DHA from fish oil) and saturated fat from animal products, water, some proteins and antioxidants. I would increase my consumption of all those. But I would also do other things to improve my gut as the gut brain axis is important. I started to do those things and within 8 monts i started to feal alot better.

I would at the same time give the diet enough time to work, and by that I mean a year or even more time. All the best to you and May you have a speedy recovery.

I can’t even take fish oil.  It revs me up so badly.  I also have to be careful eating fish due to the high vitamin D and Omega 3 content.  Last time I ate fish I was uncomfortably wired for like 36 hours.  This is crazy. 

Hey, does anybody know if muscle stiffness on the left or right side if caused by a mild stroke or seizure? My parents are trying their best to help me and they’re asking a lot of questions. My parents are very concerned! I’m might get a brain scan to make sure nothing is wrong.

Hey, so recently just bought lions mane. It helps with anxiety, depression, brain fog, and helps treat nerve damage in the brain and stimulates nerve growth. I have seen other people on this website take lions mane to help with their recovery. Hopefully this can speed things up.

Hey, im 1 month out I’m starting to notice that my symptoms come every other day. When a wave comes it’s more rough than usual. Does anybody know what this means? I really don’t know what is happening. It’s almost like can’t control my muscle. I have been doing physical therapy, stretches and exercise in the garage.

Today I’m laying in bed because my legs feel like they’re being squeezed I can’t even walk right. And my mom basically had mental break down this morning because she thinks I’m getting worse. I don’t know why but first half of the first month wasn’t as bad. 

Edited by [Jo...]

Hi Joshua I think things get worse before they get better your body and brain are repairing themselves they know what to do so try and go with it I know it's hard.  I'm in my mid sixties recovering from a serious accident. I think caused by clonazapam and I just try and take one day at a time.... Like I said it's a hard journey but it ends in being healed 🙏

• Like 1