Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Panic Attacks

[Mi...]

Hi everyone,

Very hard day today. Still taking around .48 mgs of Xanax. Had a very bad panic attack today (I thought I needed to go to the hospital). This type of situation is much more prevalent in the mornings and between doses. Making me very confused (almost like I was detached from reality), heart raced, extreme intrusive thoughts, I would say I couldn’t walk because it would cause my bp to shoot up, neck tensed up horribly bad, extreme shaking. Started with very bad stress and headache/eye flutters. Did some pushups and that brought the full thing on. Idk what to do, each attack is causing my agoraphobia to worsen most likely. I am becoming bed bound. Any advice would help. These attacks are so serious I was convinced I was having a seizure, but the intrusive thoughts obviously didn’t help that. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Edited by [Mi...]

Man I hate when I get that way.

When I settle enough I listen to breathing meditations I saved on my phone.

For headache and dizziness,I use ice packs on my head.  And I'm currently sleeping in a recliner (2weeks so far headaches/pressure lessening)

It does totally suck, I can't walk across the house without some revving. I'm so out of shape. When I calm down I try a little more, get revved and hope I don't get a panic attack. Yah just never know but yah want to get stronger too.

JUST SUCKS

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, [[M...] said:

Hi everyone,

Very hard day today. Still taking around .48 mgs of Xanax. Had a very bad panic attack today (I thought I needed to go to the hospital). This type of situation is much more prevalent in the mornings and between doses. Making me very confused (almost like I was detached from reality), heart raced, extreme intrusive thoughts, I would say I couldn’t walk because it would cause my bp to shoot up, neck tensed up horribly bad, extreme shaking. Started with very bad stress and headache/eye flutters. Did some pushups and that brought the full thing on. Idk what to do, each attack is causing my agoraphobia to worsen most likely. I am becoming bed bound. Any advice would help. These attacks are so serious I was convinced I was having a seizure, but the intrusive thoughts obviously didn’t help that. I have absolutely no idea what to do.

Are you direct tapering xanax?

I believe so, dry cuts and I’m legit on nothing else. When I say nothing I mean NOTHING. I think the last time I had a soda was 8 months ago.

You said you are down to .48 mgs of xanax. Where did you start from? Have you ever thought about doing a substitution taper using valium?

Were you put on Xanax for panic attacks?

@[An...] I started at .5 mgs ahahaha. I’ve been basically holding on that for 4 or 5 months now. I had akathesia before, so technically I’m in a better place. But this is also very bad. I’m scared to switch over to another benzo because I know it causes some issues in some people if not done appropriately, or just in general. I was put on Xanax for sleep…I never had a panic attack in my life before this. This drug has tanked my life up til now. Still knowing this will somehow bring me to a better place, but yeah my life is in the gutter currently.

To control the panic attacks, have you tried mediation, deep breathing techniques, and stretching/yoga? There are many good deep breathing and stretching videos on Youtube. There are also some goods app, like Calm and Dare that have free meditations/exercises. I listen to them when I walk, which is another relaxer.  The apps I mentioned also talk about how to counter or view intrusive thoughts, dp/dr, etc. There are also short books, the Pocket Therapy books for Anxiety and one for Emotional Balance- they are easy to read and informative.

Exercises that raise your HR are not good right now, you need to do the opposite: calm your nervous system down. The upregulation of GABA receptors takes time. There is a time lag between cuts and adjustment, so our nervous systems are unbalanced temporarily.

@[Be...] You’re right. I need to focus more on meditating. Tbh it’s even pretty challenging to walk right now before I take my dose. My agoraphobia is very very bad.

• Like 1

I hear you. Then, meditation and breathing will be the most helpful right now, along with challenging your thoughts using some mild cognitive behavioral therapy.