Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Tapering Question..please help

[Te...]

I was put on xanax .5 3x a day about 6 years ago after I had a antibiotic toxicity reaction...It helped me get by tremendously. To keep it short and quick. I had to find a new dr bc of my terrible health insurance.   He took me from 3x a day to 2x a day..I did not think anything of it...until I started feeling sick with all these symptoms.  I told Dr I'm feeling all of this and was told I need to find a psychiatrist,  but with my health insurance..it's been impossible.   

Is this a huge leap to put me into withdrawal and these symptoms? I am getting so scared and I need some help.  

If someone please can help me, it's been a really rough and frustrating situation. 

Thank you!

Hi @[Te...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Yes going from 1.5mg to 1mg after 6 years of use is a big reduction and it can cause withdrawal symptoms. When did your doctor change your dose? Do you want to get off the Xanax? Is your doctor taking you off or did he just reduce your dose?

Welcome to our community. We can definitely help and support you!

• Like 1

Thank you so much for replying!  I was taken off in June 2023...i did mention I would like to get off the medication and this is route he chose.  The symptoms really amped up by mid July..I am so not understanding anything about this and sorry to say I should have researched this med before I started taking it.  But I was so desperate to get my CNS calmed down and it worked!

This was a general d.o doctor that done this at my annual physical.  So he said he can prescribe the medication to me until I find a psychiatrist to work with.  The issue is...I'm in NY...Worst insurance and I cannot find a psychiatrist that takes my plan.  I cannot afford $150 out of pocket to pay for out of network.  I have 3 children to support and it's been so frustrating!!  I had no idea of these side effects and too anxiety to even read up on the affects of everything (health anxiety).  

I am thankful you have confirmed for me that what I been feeling is withdrawal...truly..bc these symptoms,  I feel like I am going to the great pearly gates in the sky.   Oh and I'm in perimenopause ON TOP of everything...so that is also making me more anxious.  Is there someplace that lists withdrawal that I can read without scaring me more? 

I'm so new on here and I apologize for I am not sure how to use forum. But so grateful to find this place.  I am determined to heal and not rely on the system...many thanks🙏❤️

When you say you got "taken off" I assume you refer to the dose reduction right? It's really important to know if you've completely stopped and started again or made a reduction.

• Like 1

I'm going to try and prepare you mentally for what is happening now. Most of us (myself included) had no idea what benzo's are, that you can get physically dependent and the withdrawal symptoms associated with it. Don't blame yourself. When you find out about the impact of these drugs it's a huge shock. It can create a lot of panic. That's normal. Once you've come to terms and get over the initial shock, things will get better. Tapering and managing symptoms become part of your life. You can have a functional life while tapering - I did. I also have two kids and a family I have to care of. I've managed to do this while tapering. It hasn't always been easy, but I have been able to fully look after them.

There's something else I need to explain. Xanax has a short half-life. In easy-to-understand-terms it means it works out pretty quickly. When you are physically dependent, you might be having what we call interdose withdrawal. This means your body goes into withdrawal before the next dose is due. Your body is kind of craving the next dose before it is due, because it works out so quickly. Therefore many people on Xanax dose multiple times a day (generally 3-4 times). I don't know if you've noticed any symptoms ramping up a couple of hours before the next dose is due? 

• Like 1

I had the same issue without insurance. Regular doctors hand them out like candy and when they're told not to they panic and say you need a psychiatrist.

A psychiatrist at $200 for 10 minutes. Not close to reasonable.

• Sad 1

I believe I am...I been trying to hold out and take when I feel the physical stuff arise..I do not have set times to take..I been trying tonjust go about my day, but the physical stuff creeps up..my throat starts feeling tightness and then that triggers more anxiety and I'm also getting sweaty palms, feet and pits...it's actually really scary.  I so appreciate your kind and honesty for replying.  So yes, no idea that this could happen and just trying to calm the health anxiety down and I also feel frazzled in my brain.  

Hindsight is indeed 20/20..But I want to empower myself to just at least know that all I am experiencing is the withdrawal symptoms and try to calm myself down. Like...I need a list of withdrawal symptoms to review and say...ok...this is listed.  You are ok!🤣🤪

Not sure how to reply on here..but this is for EVN. Yes, this is the issue! I am in medical debt from the psychiatrist and therapist nc my horrible health insurance just decided to no longer cover 'mental health' and I was never informed.  I got stuck with a bill for over $1,900 and fighting with health insurance bc they should have told me they were doing this...has been a nightmare.   I was charged $606 to sit with a horrible person for 10 minutes and stare at computer screen asking the same questions...$606!!! I couldn't believe it..and it made things worse financially...for a $2 medication.  It's all just so frustrating!

• Like 1

You will need to convince your doctor that you are having symptoms and you would like to taper. Tapers are guided by patient's symptoms. 

You should take the dose at the same times every day.

Then cut 5-10 percent of you daily dose every 2-4weeks.

The Ashton manual is recognized world wide for benzo discontinuation. 

Other users are well versed in tapering and will add to this thread.

• Like 1

EVN thank you for sending that PDF file. Is this on a website that I can view the symptoms of withdrawal? I'm having a hard time reading the document. I'm trying my best. But this Dr is not the warmest and just says keep looking for a psychiatrist,  he would love to be my Dr for health, but can't help with this medication? It's truly bizarre!

Edited by [Te...]

Yeah, the doctors are getting squirrelly around the benzo subject. But in the long run that's a good thing. For those who are on it though, it causes headaches.

I found a different doctor  and got off of the benzos as quick as I could.

There are other meds if needed. 

Lots of info on this site.

You'll do fine.

Edited by [...]
Added
  • Like 1

I so appreciate you sending me direct link...upon quick reading I am definitely having withdrawal symptoms..this was so helpful for my anxious mind...I really had no clue that I would be experiencing all this and linking it to the medication reduction!!! God bless...I truly am grateful to find this forum.  I have to get thru this. My family needs me. I NEED ME...🙏

Edited by [Te...]

14 minutes ago, [[T...] said:

I believe I am...I been trying to hold out and take when I feel the physical stuff arise..I do not have set times to take..I been trying tonjust go about my day, but the physical stuff creeps up..my throat starts feeling tightness and then that triggers more anxiety and I'm also getting sweaty palms, feet and pits...it's actually really scary.  I so appreciate your kind and honesty for replying.  So yes, no idea that this could happen and just trying to calm the health anxiety down and I also feel frazzled in my brain.  

Hindsight is indeed 20/20..But I want to empower myself to just at least know that all I am experiencing is the withdrawal symptoms and try to calm myself down. Like...I need a list of withdrawal symptoms to review and say...ok...this is listed.  You are ok!🤣🤪

Our body craves consistency. It's best to take your doses at regular times. You might want to start taking your doses at specific times and then we can see how it goes and whether you want to consider dosing more than twice a day? It might be best to do morning and evening to spread out the times?

If you look at the Ashton Manual, it lists common withdrawal symptoms. This list is by no means exhaustive, but it will give you an idea of some symptoms. Prof Heather Ashton did groundbreaking work in benzo withdrawal: https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

The doctor you have currently, will he be willingly to keep prescribing for you? He doesn't need to know how to taper Xanax. If he can keep prescribing, we can help you to get off if you would like to. All you need is a regular prescription of Xanax. 

• Like 1

Just want to add. Don't be scared reading all this on this site.

For most people slow tapering goes easily. 

Edited by [...]
Added slow
  • Love 1

Honestly,  he told me he can write the current script and I have to find a psychiatrist...which I been calling the drs that my health plan says they are in network and none of them are. So this dr has said, I would love to be your dr for your health..but you must find a psychiatrist.   It's like REALLY MAKING ME MORE ANXIOUS bc I been trying.  The office makes me feel anxiety when I have to ask for a new script.  It's like I'm treated as an annoyance. It's really weird and I never encountered anything like this before. I am also moving. So in between packing up my home. I have to try to find hopefully a Dr in the new area.  Praying I can..bc all of life is getting me and this is the icing on the cake...I hope I am making sense here....pardon me...but I'm having anxiety as I am.typing this now.🥴

I don't believe you don't need a psychiatrist. We have lots of members who taper from a regular doctor or even an NP. Many people say NP's are great to work with. I would suggest you find yourself a different doctor or try an NP.

• Like 1

I may add...my husband was totally against me taking these in the first place (I never needed to take any medication before the antibiotic toxicity) bmBut what i went thru with the antibiotic toxicity,  he reluctantly agreed and saw how much better i was after. So him supporting me and now seeing me like this after the reduction, he is pretty annoyed at how these drs are now leaving me hanging and put me in medical debt.  I don't have any trust in drs. I am most certainly going to take your suggestion of an NP...anything to not have this symptoms.  Imagine trying to pack up a home after 21 yrs and be the one in charge and going thru this? I cannot believe I am getting by, slowly very slowly, but husband is getting annoyed bc this is hindering my usually steadfast mind and he comes home going...that's all you got done? What happened to you? 

And I know bc I been saying it to myself..bc the old me..very motivated, organized, full of energy...I feel like I been reduced to a blob of jelly with all these lovely withdrawal symptoms 🤪🫠

Withdrawal is extremely hard on our loved ones. We are fighting to survive and get through each day. They feel totally helpless. I think it's really difficult for our husbands because they want to fix things and make it better and with this they can't. So they feel they fail us, which isn't true. 

It's just a really difficult situation for everyone. The best is if you can remain functional. But like you've noticed, functional does not mean optimal. You can't function like you did before. But you'll soon find a 'new normal' though and as long as you can all stick together and work together, you'll get through this. I have a favourite saying that carries me through tough times - your present is not your future.